Dof With Virtuapin Controller/plunger Issue - Any Suggestions?

jukedock

Having installed DOF R3 last week, and installing a SAINSMART 8 channel USB unit to control 3 LEDs and 5 solenoids I am having an issue with my VirtuaPin controller.

I have installed diodes (1n4007) on all of my solenoids I use for feedback.  As I did not want LOUD solenoids I just installed some very small solenoids that measure maybe 1 1/2 inches long - but they do the job perfectly for me.

What is happening maybe after 10 minutes of playing a table, the virtuapin plunger stops registering.   If I hit the RESET button on the PCB it will start working again.

This has been working absolutely fine for over a year on its own.

My SAINSMART and VIRTUAPIN controller were mounted a couple of inches apart, I have seperated these and this has not altered anything.

Whilst I run a 'test' program on the coils, I have moved them around the plunger and plunger cable and this sometimes seems to make the VirtuaPin controller 'crash' but this could be just one of those things as it does not always make the plunger fail.

I use an iPac for all my button inputs - the virtuapin controller just takes care of the plunger and the analog nudging.

As I do not use the VirtuaPin for my buttons - do you think its worth putting the 'ground' wires from the VirtuaPin unit onto the ground wires of my cab?
Is it worth building a faraday cage around my plunger sensor unit?

Should I 'screen' the ribbon cable between the virtuaPin board and the plunger sensor?

My cab has TWO ATX power supplies:
PSU 1 runs:

Motherboard

PinDMD board

PSU 2 runs:
Amplifier

Feedback solenoids

LEDs

SainSmart board power

Having used DOF I really do not wan to go back to not having solenoids....    So any help or suggestions is appreciated.

DOF is working as it should do (all dlls are unlocked). 

VirtuaPin works perfect with SainSmart board disconnected.....

Thanks for reading my dribble - please feel free to suggest any fixes.

Hi - its V2.

Have already tried different sets of USB ports....
I think its interference.
Bought some screening tape home tonight to have a go with that (I use it to screen guitars with).

(edit)

Have screened the ribbon cable on the virtualpin plunger

New USB cables with magnetic ferriles.

Tried 'earthing' the SANSMART to the same ground as the VIRTUAPIN controller.

All failed.... :(

Also noticed that on my properties in windows everytime a coil fires the 'tilt' part of the window goes wild as if its having a real bash from the side - can this be calibrated down? or is this done in VP/VPX?

Does anyone have issues with Zebs plunger?

Archived