Yet Another "help Me My Dmd Won't Stay In Position" Thread

lonnkor

Okay, (*&%$!

I know all the regular fixes including show border, shake, vpinmame cab build, registry deletion/resetting, making sure the displays are to the right of each other and the values aren't negative, etc.

My dmd settings are reading fine and saving correctly from default registry settings using VP9.90 and physmod5 but with VPX the dmd always resets to the wrong position despite dragging, shaking and setting it correctly every time.  

So tired of this issue but going through the motions of asking for help again as I'm at the end of my rope on this one.

Incidentally when I installed VPX using the full install, my VP9, physmod5 and VPX tables all play, but when I download and install the "cabinet build" 2.5 VPinmame, VPX fails upon trying to play a table, though 9.90 and physmod5 still load, play and save their dmd settings fine.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Lonnie

I would still put the VPinmame from this website on your computer and when I do it I don't uninstall and reinstall, I just overwrite...

Right now you probably have two Versions of vbs files on your computer you do not want that...

move all of your VBS files out of  your tables folder into another folder,  Make a folder and put them in it....

Downloaded the Standalone VP10 and unzipped it and copied the 9 files into the visual pinball folder and than put the script (53 VBS) files into the scripts folder...

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11572

Try this and post the results

i use the windows registry for the DMD values.

i have a registry key called 'default' in the right place (where VpinMame saves your ROM keys)
inside this default key there are the values like pos_x and pos_y and dmd_width / dmd_height or something like that.

i never have issues with DMD position/size anymore.

I would still put the VPinmame from this website on your computer and when I do it I don't uninstall and reinstall I just overwrite...

Right now you probably have two Versions of vbs files on your computer you do not want that...

move all of your VBS files out of  your tables folder into another folder,  Make a folder and put them in it....

Downloaded the Standalone VP10 and unzipped it and copied the 9 files into the visual pinball folder and than put the script (53 VBS) files into the scripts folder...

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11572

Try this and post the results

Will try this presently, thx.  But what should I name the created folder for the vbs files I remove from the Tables folder, & where does it go?

• Administrators

Okay I followed that procedure and still no luck with the dmd staying in position in VPX.  But I don't know what to do with the removed vbs folder either, if that's affecting something?

In the past this issue was caused by video drivers... What video card and drivers are you using?

Some people run the VBS files in their script folder and tables folder now that you have all the newest scripts in your scripts folder, copy all them to your tables folder but you always want to make sure you have the same ones in both

Some people run the VBS files in their script folder and tables folder now that you have all the newest scripts in your scripts folder, copy all them to your tables folder but you always want to make sure you have the same ones in both

Okay I'm confused as this seems to contradict the advice you gave me before, if you could clarify I'd appreciate it.  Your directions seemed to say for me to move the scripts OUT of the tables folder in your first post but now you're saying I should have them in 2 places?  I recopied the sam.vbs back to my tables folder and the SAM games still fail.

On my setup I only have the VBS files in my scripts folder an everything works...
Some people on the site said they needed to run them in both to make they're set up work...

When you try to run a Sam table what error is it giving you if any?

Restored my system to before I installed VPX and restarted with the MINIMAL VPX install package rather than the full and I'm instantly not having a problem with the dmd positioning anymore.  I can only assume it had something to do with the extra files it was installing on the full install package, or the script moving/doubling issue.  

Now I move on to figuring out why this Rolling Stones VPX table won't end the ball when it drains into the trough!

Thanks again to outhere and everyone for your timely help!   :)  Lonnie

Good to hear you have it up and running

I have read in other posts when people are doing the full install over an existing system they seem to be running into problems but it would appear the full install from a clean system is working well

• 1 month later...

Wow, this is immensely frustrating.

Having the same problem again on another fresh build that doesn't have VPX on it at all.  The dot matrix shows up partially on the playfield and the rest of it on the backglass,

and the ONLY thing that was changed to introduce this issue is the updated vpinmame.dll (to make the SAM games work.)  Every time I drag and size it differently, it resets immediately upon a restart of the table, and it is putting the improper position on any freshly initialized table regardless of if it's a SAM or not.  I got the vpinmame.dll file from this link:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2480-vpinmame-sampindmdunity-unified-version/

and I'm using VP9.90 btw.

I was under the impression the only places VPinmame could get DMD settings from was the registry or the table script, and I've verified neither of those are causing the problem.

Is there a way the vpinmame.dll file could be affecting DMD position settings, or could it be the file is corrupt?  My screens are 1-2-3 in order with no negative values btw.

Thanks in advance as always all.

UPDATE:  (fixed)

So I modified the settings in the default registry for dmd X position to the exact sum of both horizontal widths of my first 2 displays (3840) and now the position

sticks where it should.  I tried that based on post #5 in this thread btw:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/1501-dmd-wont-stay-still/

Hope this helps someone in the future as I was pulling my hair out on this one.

Lonnie

I believe your first post mentioned you did this fix, but I had the same problem when I updated the SAM Pinmame one time. And it was only on tables I had played before (which was most of them but some were unaffected).  I'd move the DMD back into position then exit and restart and it would be reset again.

I had to go into the registry and delete the ROM name in the pinmame section then restart the table, which puts the ROM name back in the registry. Doing that and it saved all future settings.

Again I believe you mention this in your first post but just figured I'd share my annoyance with the issue too. So far its been fine.

• 1 month later...

This is very easily the most frustrating issue I come across on a regular basis with VP.

How can a table pick a dmd_x_pos on it's own without reading the settings from the default in the registry?  I have a fresh build that is resetting the dmd x position every timea table restarts. 

Even if I delete it from the registry and verify the registry default settings are what I want, even after manually adjusting the dmd_x_pos in the default, I get tables starting the X

in the wrong place.  There are NO dmd settings in the table script.  The x will save right if I leave it on the main screen, but as soon as I try to position it on the adjacent screen it won't save and reverts to a point partially on the 2nd screen but starting on the main screen.  

I have verified again that my multiple displays are adjacent and zeroed.  Technically I don't think the error I'm seeing is even possible, but it keeps happening.

Any help appreciated on this.  Weird.

Is the table you are now trying a physmod table, I had a similar issue with some of the early physmod tables. They were the only ones on my system that no mater what i did it would reset the DMD position every time. I ended up searching for a table with the 4 lines of code for the dmd position and copied that to the physmod table and manualy set the values to solve the problem. What about running the rom from vpmame directly to see if the position sticks, to take out any table or vp issues.

Archived