Widebody Dimensions Confusion

rickla

Ok so trying to figure out cab size from plans and fiddling with drawing software.

I figured a widebody glass is a firm size I can see mentioned. 

23.75" glass, centered on 3/4" plywood sides say. That ends up with a total width of 24.5" cabinet (with 23" inside for TV).

I thought the wide body cabs were just about 25" (or a smidge less to allow rail thickness and fit between lockdown). Am I off somewhere?

• Content Provider

Widebody is just a hair under 25" (24.8")

check out plans here http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/171-plans-williams-widebody-cabinet-plans/from Mameman

so the width is only off by .3 inches, but you also have to figure that if the glass was exactly as wide as the rail placement it would be extremely snug, i'd say .15" wiggle on either side is fair.

widebody or standard body, not important, just build your cab according to your tv dimensions

Be careful of this,  if you want an authentic lock down bar.    If you get a non standard size, you'll have to get one custom made, which can be costly.   I would try your best to fit your tv to a cabinet.   Don't forget you can some good wiggle room by routing (by varying depths) out the insides and sliding the TV in from the back.

Good comment about it being snug, I can add a hair to the width. I certainly would like standard glass and bar but who knows.

I have no TV yet so it's all open. I still may go standard width but the wide body masses are swaying me.

Uptaker...  I would guess no.   My 46 fits snug with routing.  You *MAY* be able to fit it on top, if you want it flush with the rails.  I don't recommend that either.

Also,  just my 2cents,  that is waaaay too much TV to be sitting inside a PIN.   You'll never use the 4k or the smart features.   

The big advantage of a 4K TV is for passive 3D, as explained here: http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-tvs-with-passive-3d-finally-a-good-use-for-all-those-pixels/

When using 3D in a regular 1080p at the distance we usually stay from a cab, I can see the lines (resolution goes down to half)

But in the 4K TV I can't notice this effect.

Playing 3D w/ this quality w/ head tracking on BAM looks awesome.

The head tracking is done with Kinect. No funny hats required :)

But yes, it does require a discrete LG glass: 

medium03.jpg

Not the best thing in the world, but it's acceptable  :D

(But..... after a great deal of difficulty trying to get a custom cabinet here in Brazil, I think I will simply put my new shiny 49" 3D 4K TV in my living room, and put my current LCD 40" Samsung TV in an old Standard body cabinet. I will loose the "3D" but at least I will have a better looking cabinet)

Circular polarized glasses (like those used on passive TVs) works very well for vertical (portrait) mode.

What usually doesn't work are active glasses, because the sum of polarized led in glasses + polarized led TV.

There are ways of circumventing it though, by adding a circular polarized film in front of the active glass, or simply a passive glass in front of the active one. This will "rotate" the polarization of the glass, making it possible to see the image in portrait (but then preventing landscape mode). But this will make the images darker because of the extra film. 

Reference: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/14/polaroid.htm

More on the dimensions. With these 46" tv's and my desire to try non routed (and avoid a custom lockbar) I wonder if anyone has used 1/2" ply at least for the sides.

To me that would be plenty rigid and it could be braced with a rib or two, and give an extra 1/2" room. I see 3/4" ply is popular but I think that may be because that's just what normal pins use, but I would guess normal pins have got a lot more weight to support.

• Content Provider

Yes, 1/2" can be used but you will have to figure out how to support the glass, since you are removing a 1/4" on both sides that the glass usually rests on. 

I used 1/2" on the sides of my standard body so I would not have to decase the 39" tv.  Pics here on how I support the glass. http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/1922-4228dmd-build/?p=19619

Archived