Magnasave Rgb Button Colors

mjr

I just spent a while going through old posts here and photos on IPDB to compile a list of tables with MagnaSave buttons or extra flipper buttons that have some other use.  [And I've been editing the list below as people post to the thread - it should reflect everything mentioned in downstream posts.]  I wanted to compile a full list for my LedWiz configuration for my illuminated MS buttons.  As far as I can tell, no one has put together a list of this in one place, so I thought I'd post my results - I think I have a comprehensive list at this point.  [Edit: as you can see by the number of replies in the thread, the original list was far from comprehensive!  Hopefully it's getting there.]  If anyone sees any errors or omissions, please let me know and I'll update this posting.

A second reason that I wanted a unified list was to determine whether it was worth having separate LedWiz channels for the left and right MS buttons.  I originally had my MS buttons wired together, so that they'd both light up in the same color.  After compiling the list and seeing that several tables have only a left button or only a right button, my cabinet builder OCD kicked in, and I decided to redo the wiring so that my left and right buttons are controlled independently.  On the other hand, the number of one-button tables is quite small, so I'm not sure everyone will judge it to be worth the time (and LedWiz channels) to do the same.  At least there's no guesswork with the list - you can see exactly which tables will be affected.

AUTHENTIC: Tables that originally had Magna Save buttons or extra flipper-style buttons on the sides of the cabinet.  This includes tables where the extra buttons did something other than Magna Save, as long as the buttons were located in the same place.

Table | Flipper button color | Extra button color | Purpose of extra buttons

Black Knight | White| Red | Magna Save

Black Knight 2000 | Red | White - right side only | Magna Save

Blackwater 100 | White | Red | Buttons move flashing selection and lower start gate

BMX | White | White | Flex-Save

Bone Busters Inc. | Red | Green - right side only | Controls extra flipper on upper ramp

Defender | Navy | Red | left is "Reverse" (left lane kickback), right is "Smart Bomb" (scoring feature)

Devil's Dare | Red | Green - left side only | Ball save (manually activated outlane kickback)

Dungeons & Dragons | White | White (varies - also pictured on ipdb as navy or red) | Flex-Save

Fireball II | Red | White - right side only | Raises center post between flippers

Freedy: a Nightmare on Elm Street | Red | Red - right side only | Raises center post between flippers

Grand Lizard | Red | Red | Magna Save

Harley-Davidson (1999) | Red | Red - right side only | Unknown
Hardbody | White| White | Flex-save

Haunted House | Red | Red | Secondary flipper buttons

Heavy Metal Meltdown | Unknown | Unknown | Lane change

Johnny Mnemonic | Red | Blue | Control magnetic data glove

Jolly Park | Red | Red | Mini-playfield magnetic diverters

Judge Dredd | Yellow | Red (large square button rotated 45 degrees) | Mode selection

Jungle Lord | Yellow | Red | Magna Save

Medusa | Red | Red - right side only  | Raises "Shield of the Gods" center post between flippers

Nip It | White | White - right side only | Activates "balligator" (diverts ball to special scoring lane)

Pharaoh | White | Red | Magna Save

Revenge From Mars | Red | Red (Pinball 2000-style combination button) | Mode selection, aligns crosshairs in attack mode

Rocky | Red | Green - left side only | Unknown

The Rolling Stones LE | White | red - right side only? | Unknown

The Shadow | Red | Blue | Control ramp diverters ("phurbas")

Sharkey's Shootout | Red | White | Raise ball-saving posts in outlanes, and between flippers when pressed simultaneously

The Simpsons Pinball Party | Red | White - left side only | Unknown

Solar Fire | White | Red | Magna Save
Special Force | White | Orange | Rocket buttons
Speakeasy | Red | Unknown - left side only | Controls rollovers (scoring feature)
Spirit | Red | Green | Outlane ball-save flippers
Star Light | Navy | Blue - right side only | Lane change
Starship Troopers | Red | Red - right side only | Controls small secondary flipper
Star Wars Episode I | Red | Red (Pinball 2000-style combination button) | Mode selection
Strange Science | White | Blue | Manually controlled outlane kickback
Striker | Red | Green | Side-to-side passes (scoring feature)

Volcano | Red | Green | Left controls manual outlane kickback; right controls shooter guide

World Cup Soccer | Yellow | Red - left side only | Magna Save

VIRTUAL: Tables that didn't originally have Magna Save-type buttons, but had some other unique types of controls that are usually mapped to Magna Save buttons in digital re-creations

Table | Flipper button color | Extra button color | Purpose of extra buttons | Original control style

AC/DC (Stern) | Yellow | White | "Fire" | Stern-style lockbar button

Apollo 13 | Red | Yellow | Ball launch | Rotating handle in place of plunger

Austin Powers | Red | Red | "Fire" | Medium circular red "fire" button left of center on top of lockbar

Baby Pacman | Red | Red | Joystick up/down on flippers, left/right on MS | Video game style console with joystick

Black Rose | Red | Red | "Fire" | Rectangular button on lockbar

Caveman | Red | Red | Joystick up/down on flippers, left/right on MS | Joystick on top of triple-deep lockbar

Demolition Man | Red | Red | Launch balls & move crane | Joystick type buttons on handles sticking up from sides of cab
The Getaway: High Speed 2 | Red | Yellow left, Green right | Gear shifters | Up/down shift lever in place of plunger

Granny and the Gators | Blue | Green | Video game style console with large circular "paddle" left/right buttons and "fire" pushbuttons

Jurassic Park | Yellow | Red | Smart Missile | Gun-like launcher with trigger and large circular red "Smart Missile" thumb button

Last Action Hero | Red | Yellow | Smart Missile | Gun-like launcher with trigger; large square yellow "Smart Missile" button on front of cab just above gun

Mac Attack (Mr. Game 1990) | Red | Red | Unknown, possibly used in video mode | Handles on either side of cabinet with red buttons on top

Mustang LE (Stern) | Blue | White | Fire? | Stern-style lockbar button
Riverboat Gambler | White | Red, Navy | Place bets on roulette game with flippers+MS | Four rectangular buttons on top of lockbar

Star Trek (Stern 2013) | White | White | "Fire & Select - Punch It!" | Stern-style lockbar button

Star Wars (Data East) | Red | Orange | Fire, Shift | "Shift" handle (pulls up) in place of plunger, with Fire thumb button on left side

World Cup '90 (Mr. Game 1990) | Red | Red | Unknown, possibly used in video mode | Handles on either side of cabinet with red buttons on top

(A "Stern-style lockbar button" is a flipper-style button embedded in the top of the lockbar, facing up, usually centered side-to-side, usually transparent/uncolored, and usually illuminated when active.  Most of these have a chrome trim ring around the base that makes them look somewhat bigger than normal flipper buttons, but the actual plastic part is just a flipper button.)

I had to invent colors for the Magna Save button mappings in the virtual list, because these originally had other types of controls that we're only approximating as MS buttons for virtual cabinet play.  I tried to use the color scheme of the original controls whenever possible.  This is straightforward when the original controls were simply some other style of pushbutton, but it's more subjective for things like levers and handles.

PUSHBUTTON BALL LAUNCHERS: Tables with ball launcher buttons instead of plungers, but not in the usual plunger location.  In virtual versions, the extra button would probably be mapped to the Launch Ball button that many virtual cabs have, so these probably wouldn't count as Magna Save mappings, even virtually.  I'm including them for the sake of completness, though, since they're extra buttons of a sort.

Table | Flipper button color | Description of special launch button

NBA Fastbreak | Red | Large silver & black pushbutton centered on top of lockbar

Winner (Williams 1972) | Red | Large silver pushbutton centered on top of lockbar

Zodiac (Williams 1971) | Red | Large silver pushbutton centered on top of lockbar

ALVIN G. HEAD-TO-HEAD: There's an unusual group of tables known as "Alvin G. head-to-head" games.  These are two-player tables where the players stand on either end of the table facing each other.  The tables are longer than standard pinballs, and there's no backbox.  Each player has a pair of flipper buttons on their end of the table.  These games don't quite fit either of the lists above, but they technically do have extra flipper buttons, so I'm mentioning them for the sake of completeness.  They don't fit the "authentic" list because the extra buttons weren't Magna Save-like on the originals, and they don't even fit the "virtual" list because you wouldn't want to map them to the Magna Save buttons in digital re-creations (as that wouldn't be workable for two-player use).   So I'm just giving them their own section:

A.G. Football | Red | Blue

A.G. Soccer-Ball | Red | Blue
Dinosaur Eggs | Red | Red | Note: this is a redemption game with no flippers; all four flipper buttons are immobilized dummies that do nothing
U.S.A. Football | Red | Blue

U.S.A. Football redemption version | Red | Blue | Note: this is a redemption game with no flippers; one pair of flipper buttons is for entering initials and moving the "double ticket" light, the second pair are immobilized dummy buttons that do nothing

• Content Provider

You could add any of the Stern games that have a "Fire" button should use one of the magna save buttons to fire the ball or toy (like the cannon in AC/DC) and I suspect the "Fire" button on Stern Star Trek)

Mustang LE & Premium, ACDC, and Star Trek have this

I'll be putting one on my cab for various purposes, mainly for these games but possibly as a ball launch button as well, I hate the way a plunger/launch button combo looks so might as well give another feature some more use.

mustangboss2.jpg

ACDCPREMIUM4-www.arcadespecialties.com.j

3601-stern-star-trek-1.jpg

You could add any of the Stern games that have a "Fire" button should use one of the magna save buttons to fire the ball or toy (like the cannon in AC/DC) and I suspect the "Fire" button on Stern Star Trek)

Hmm... I think I'd vote for keeping the Magna Save buttons unlit on those, since they're not side-of-cabinet buttons on the original machines.  (Same thing applies to The Getaway: High Speed 2, I know, but it's a special case.  There's no standard virtual cabinet equivalent of the up/down shift lever on the original, so you really need the magna save buttons to fully play this game.  It's a trade-off between authenticity and some kind of visual user interface cue to tell you the buttons do something important in the game.  For the games with a single "fire" button, I think those are also implemented virtually using the Launch Ball button, which most virtual cabinets have and which lights up to give you that UI cue.)

• Content Provider

Hmm... I think I'd vote for keeping the Magna Save buttons unlit on those, since they're not side-of-cabinet buttons on the original machines.  (Same thing applies to The Getaway: High Speed 2, I know, but it's a special case.  There's no standard virtual cabinet equivalent of the up/down shift lever on the original, so you really need the magna save buttons to fully play this game.  It's a trade-off between authenticity and some kind of visual user interface cue to tell you the buttons do something important in the game.  For the games with a single "fire" button, I think those are also implemented virtually using the Launch Ball button, which most virtual cabinets have and which lights up to give you that UI cue.)

well, not so much - I know that in the case of star trek you don't want to have the FIRE button set to the launch ball button. This game has a plunger and you can use it for skill shots that you won't get if you push the fire button (which is an auto ball launcher when the ball is in the trough) and not to mention it would be making the plunger noise every time you pushed it....

magnasave is the best bet. It's a small selection of games - it's a separate light in the game from the launch ball button as well. However, this is probably not worth the addition, if you consider the amount of people with cabs that would have this button..........and the number of games that would use it... we're down to 0 lol. 

well, not so much - I know that in the case of star trek you don't want to have the FIRE button set to the launch ball button. This game has a plunger and you can use it for skill shots that you won't get if you push the fire button (which is an auto ball launcher when the ball is in the trough) and not to mention it would be making the plunger noise every time you pushed it....

I guess if you don't have both controls on your cab (launch button and analog plunger) that could be a problem.  I have both, so the launch button is the right control for my setup, at least.

Okay, there are enough of the exceptions piling up that I split the list into "Authentic" and "Virtual" sections, and added the Stern games with the Fire buttons to the Virtual section.  The Virtual section is for games that use the MS buttons in digital re-creations as substitutes for unique controls in the original table that don't exist in the standard complement of virtual cabinet controls.

Any table with a ball lifter could potentially go in the "Virtual" section, although I'm not too keen on doing the book-keeping for those since there must be a boatload of them.

Archived