Cabinet Questions From New Guy

DougMaxwell

Hey Guys and Gals,

Doug here.  New to this whole virtual pinball world, though I have built a few of my own arcade cabinets using pawn shop CRT TVs, X Arcade controllers, and Nintendo Gamecubes and first gen Xboxs for the brains.  Nothing too fabulous, but I enjoy the challenge and DIY satisfaction. 

post-5747-0-14786900-1411703870_thumb.jpg

post-5747-0-53881800-1411703914_thumb.jpg

I have been exploring the internet and looking at mass produced and custom cabinets that others have made and basically reverse engineering from photos that I've seen.  Also, Paul from VirtuaPin has been very helpful.  I think I have a game plan, but I need advice.

So question #1.  LED TVs ... any reason I shouldn't use one as a playfield monitor?  Best Buy has a few deals on various sizes of Sony Bravia LED TVs.

Question #2.  Playfield monitor cabinet placement....  I've seen several options.  Some where the playfield is basically flush with the top of the cabinet and is angled with the cabinet edge, and others where the playfield is recessed and laying flat in the cabinet with a few inches of space between the top glass and the TV monitor.  Any opinions on what looks and plays better?  I'm thinking that a slightly recessed flat playfield would be better, but you all might have better reasons why I should or shouldn't do it.   

So thank you for your time.  I look forward to the learning process and the new challenges.

Doug

• Content Provider

Hello sir!

First question: no reason. If you get a good deal then it's a good screen

Second question: I think you have your answer already. This is all about what looks better to you. In my opinion, I think having the front edge nearly flush to the lockdown bar and the back recessed 4 inches or so looks great. Keep in mind that most FS tables include the layback in the view already, but I still think having it recessed/angled is a better overall look. I am caught a little off guard every time I see a cab with a flush monitor. Set it up both ways when you build before you make your decision, maybe having it flush feels better to you.

Thank you Freneticamnesic.  I figured an LED would be fine, but thought I'd check anyway.

Good advice on my second question.  I'll incorporate that into my project.  I admit that I have never physically seen a digital pinball cabinet.  Lots of actual pinball, obviously, but not a digital, so it was worth an inquiry.  

THank you all for the responses and kind comments.

Loafmeister, the driving cab was my first.  35 inch CRT TV from a pawn shop, old xbox that I got for free, a steering wheel and pedal from amazon, and powered leather driver seat from a 2000 Monte Carlo.  I have a 12 volt system to power the marker lights and the power seat and six casters underneath to move it if necessary.  It was a fun project.

Spektre, I'm going with a custom built cabinet.  Should be fairly straight forward with the plans that are online and the pictures I've seen of other cabinets.  I've looked on eBay occasionally for a dead cabinet, but nothing really grabbed me.  I'll buy the legs and hardware from the DIY section at Virtuapin.

I'll most likely make a more solid unit and not try to make the back box hinged to fold down.  My workshop is next to my rec room and I'm not going to be moving anytime soon.

Mameman and anyoine else reading ... Do you all have advice on what brand LED TV de-cases the nicest but still has quality image and longevity? 

Another construction question ... What's a good thickness for the play field tempered glass?  Obviously wanting to hit that sweet spot between "not too heavy" and "not too fragile"

Archived