Config Tool, Non-Pwm Rgb Leds

Spektre

Without PWM an RGB LED could only create 7 colors counting white ( 1, 2, 3, 1+2, 2+3, 1+3, 1+2+3). To the best of my knowledge though, you would have had to have gone out of your way to find LEDs that wouldn't be able to handle PWM. Is the issue more that you don't have an output device capable of PWM?

Gotcha. Though you gotta admit it's funny hearing relays go bananas trying to switch with varying PWM signals coming in!

You might want to PM a question about this to arngrim. I recall the previous version of the dof configtool had an option to disable PWM output, but the new one doesn't appear to include the option anymore. Maybe he can help you out.

Don't know just how high power you're talking with those LEDs, but keep in mind that you can step up to 12V directly though the LEDwiz by running that external power through the appropriate bank voltage inputs.

• Content Provider

So let's say your using a Sainsmart, or another device which cannot handle RGB well.

The CREE's I am using pull far too much current to drive directly off an LEDWiz.

I run them just fine with straight ledwiz. powered off separate 12v power supply. relays for rgb's seems like poor planning/design. but what do I know. :unsure:

LOL, You run "them" fine.  By them you mean the entirety of all CREE LEDs?  These draw more current than the LEDWiz can provide.

Funny all the rationalization for a yes or no question...

There would be many hardware design decisions that could be made.  None of them answer the original question.

I use ledwiz to switch -v and do not use the supply voltage banks at all on ledwiz. I have 5 cree rgb's and undercab lighting that runs all around bottom of a widebody (10')no relays. again you do it your way... but NO need for relays on rgb

Again, I'm not sure why the defensiveness, but you cannot run all RGB's off the LEDWiz, nor MOST undercab strips without amplification. It has nothing to do with the voltage banks. It has to do with the amount of current the LEDWiz can source/sink.

So again, a simple question really. Does the current config tool allow for non-PWM controlled RGB LEDs?

(and before it gets offered, yes I realize I could just make a saw horse...THAT wouldn't require it either LOL)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I think for non PWM leds completely different configs would have to be used, since quite a few of the newer configs depend on PWM (e.g. fading).

Anyhow, as other have already recommended, I would use some kind of applifier (e.g. one of zebs boards) to power CREEs or other powerhungry led setups.

Archived