Sony Bravia Plasma Decasing

KingofMetal79

Greetings Everyone,
 I have finally, after years of yearning, started work on my Pinball Cabinet. I have

got my PC up and running with the desired tables and now my attention turns to the

building of the physical cabinet. I managed to get a 40" Sony Bravia (Plasma) on the cheap

and looking to fit it into the cabinet. However, while the bezel (rounds 3 sides) is

bearable the bottom edge contains the speakers and therefore I will need to decase it

before mounting it in the cab. Therefore has anyone had experience of decasing a 40" Bravia

plasma? Specifically does anyone know if it easy to remove the speakers and the surrounding

bezel once I have unscrewed and removed the back? Plus are there any other things I should

be aware of ie. best way to support the screen, things I should avoid, will the remote

sensor be ok? etc etc.

Any help with this would be appreciated as this is my first real stumbling block! :o)

Cheers

I did a sony LCD a while ago and found that the speakers were easy to disconnect as the were one plug on the main board. Only other catch I found was the bottom edge (bezel edge closest to the speakers) used double sided tape to hold the bezel edge in place that was ridiculously hard to remove. Also my screen would not work unless the IR receiver board and input button board was plugged back in.

But best way to find out is, pry it open gently and see what you are in for.

The First I Say Stupid Idea a  Plasma playfield dont lay down a plasma TV it will broken. and plasma TV`s will burn in the Picture not good with static tables pictures with an old old LCD do you have the same problem but its not so bad at LCD the ghosting  is not forever.

and the third thing is when you have much luck an the screen dont stuck and you mount the glass it will burn out !

i hope i can help you with this informations

Just wanted to clarify some of cyclemat's points there —

• It is a common misconception that you can't lay a plasma flat because of the gas inside, or that if you do you have to leave it upright for a period to "settle". This is all incorrect. The issue with laying a plasma flat is the rigidity of the dielectric glass cells inside the panel that trap the gases. While fine sitting upright on top of themselves, the cells are too rigid to properly support their own lateral weight when laid flat. That means if the display is sitting on its side and you give it a good bump, the vibration can cause the panel to flex / vibrate — shattering the cell grid.

* That does mean it is risky to use if you intend to allow real real nudging. You couldn't route the display into the cabinet (as that would amplify any twisting effects), but you could probably get away with rigging it up with rails

* On the upside, plasmas typically have extremely fast refresh rates

* On the downside again, depending on the model, the TV may not be ABLE to be de-cased. Some Bravia models are literally manufactured INTO their plastic case, meaning you're pulling apart the actual layers of the panel when you start tearing at the plastic. That is extraordinarily unlikely with that plasma though, but I wanted to give a word of warning to anybody searching for Bravia advice in the future

* Burn in wouldn't be a problem unless you left the same table on the screen for very long periods of time. You only really see plasma burn-in with elements like network logo bugs or ticker lower-thirds, in scenarios like cafe TVs tuned to the news all day long

Archived