Upgrading to 120HZ Playfield Screen and other things.

Howdy,

I'd thought I would pass on some things I learned from my recent upgrade from 60HZ to 120HZ playfield screens.

I built my cabinet about 2 years ago and originally went with a TCL 43 4k screen in 60hz. I knew at some point I would be going to 120, but the prices were too much at the time.

I run a Ryzen7,32gb,SSD and a NVidia 3060 card using 3 screens. 43inch playfield, 32inch backglass, and 17 inch dmd.

It was great for the time, but a couple of weeks ago at BestBuy they listed a SONY X85K for about $600 and I went for it.

Things I have learned.

1. With this screen, and my card, running just base windows in 120hz, the text is very 'jagged' So, if you have sessions where you are not running VPX, it would be best to switch your output to 60hz for clarity.

• This does not show up jagged inside VPX pinball sessions, just outside VPX.

2. The NVidia 3060 has 3 DP output ports and 1 HDMI.  Most TV screens use HDMI inputs.  So will need to buy the correct cables for this.

• If you are upgrading from 60hz to 120hz screens, you must update all the video cables you use to the HDMI2.1 output (8K) specs. I did not do this at first and the screen output stayed at 60hz. Also, very important for this card, that you update ALL the cables to the same spec. If you don't, in my case, I would get Playfield blackouts where it would just blackout while in play.  I think there is something like a bottleneck in the card if all your cables are not to the same spec.

3. VPX has video settings for the 4K 120hz output within. Obviously pick that, but, I noticed that if I have my windows output set to 60hz, and ran VPX,  the VPX output would stay at 60hz.  I don't think its possible for VPX to switch output speed within it.  

Going to 120HZ is absolutely a game changer if all you've run is 60hz.  My scores shot up quite a bit, and the fluidity is noticeable. The color saturation for many tables is a bit different too, don't know how to explain it .

Maybe my next topic will be my experience using the Kinect unit with Headtracking!