Vector drawings of EM playfields

ok, so far I mainly did back glasses in vector graphics. But I'd like to do some Playfields, I need more practice! I will do some in the next time (Atari Middle Earth, Gottlieb Sheriff, Williams Gay 90's), since I have the real playfields here. But what are the requirements (size, resolution, background etc.) I don't have a PC (Mac rulez!), so I can not run any VP game, but I like doing vector graphics. I did a "Pat Hand" PF some month ago, but I need new material... If there is need for an EM Playfield, I just need a good (!!) picture and will try my best (but I do not promise anything!). But is there any demand?

Attached is a picture of the "Pat Hand" Playfield, from left to right: original scan, vector over original, vector view)

Jens

Composition.png

• Administrators

You be a super hero doing that , that shit the holy grail having a perfect hi rez playfield to work with..

on a side note you mentioned in another post about people interested in vector doing some tuts..I wish you would the more people know how to do  the better this hobby

gets. I personally would love to learn it...like i dont have enough to do LOL..... keep up the awesome work your doing hey...THANKS 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Silversurfer said:

I already started with a little tutorial and will upload the first chapter later today.

@WildmanWhich is the best section in this forum for that?

@unclewillyOk, I found that, but I have no clue, how I can run those files....

https://vpuniverse.com/tutorials/    put in the b2s section cause most of your work is backglasses  ...  Thanks

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Silversurfer said:

I already uploaded in "general discussions" .. Can you change that? Thanks!

I moved it to tut section and sent you pm..

• 1 month later...

Still looking for decent pictures/scans of playfields. I'm running out of source material... So if anyone has good pictures/scans of any empty (!!) EM playfield, I ready to do a vector version!

On 5/1/2024 at 11:43 AM, Silversurfer said:

Still looking for decent pictures/scans of playfields. I'm running out of source material... So if anyone has good pictures/scans of any empty (!!) EM playfield, I ready to do a vector version!

I have a few requests:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17sq_lpZpZeCwmjyY4ZjG39vm-l1WCRdd&usp=drive_fs

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N7n2IfGJFyPa7vSZLOJaaXLN5Cv7IPza&usp=drive_fs

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OBxqYA2IVqO9CjFELNY53PN-21Qu2ERQ&usp=drive_fs

Let me know if any of these strike your fancy.

edit: mostly interested in the last two.

That's funny.... I started doing vector graphics to be able to re-draw the playfield of one of my on pinballs, a "Dodge City"! Your picture is good enough for a re-draw. So I don't need to scan it!

I also have a "Ship Mates" somewhere, so I can take a look for some of the details, which are not 100%  clear on you pic (mainly the sea at the bottom), so that's also fine.

I don't know the third one, but here  the qualitiy of the picture might give me some problems. But I will try what I can.

So many thanks, that will keep me busy for some time. I'll keep u updated!

Jens

Like I said, this one is pretty easy, except for the cowboy. Attached is the picture of the current status. I will make some detail pictures of the cowboy on my machine this weekend. Also the lettering will take some more time. And please do not use .jpg's. The compression makes it really hard to see all the details. I'm writing a small tutorial how to make better pictures. I will show some pictures I made in .jpg and in raw format. The different is significant.

Some questions to all of you making VPs . Should I place small indicators (crosshairs) where all the screws go?  Do the holes for the lamps and the switches need to be transparent or is a simple black circle good enough?

Thanks,

Jens

DGPFrev1.thumb.png.87027831a1ee3a0b52a7034a6f7a2829.png

3 hours ago, Silversurfer said:

Like I said, this one is pretty easy, except for the cowboy. Attached is the picture of the current status. I will make some detail pictures of the cowboy on my machine this weekend. Also the lettering will take some more time. And please do not use .jpg's. The compression makes it really hard to see all the details. I'm writing a small tutorial how to make better pictures. I will show some pictures I made in .jpg and in raw format. The different is significant.

Some questions to all of you making VPs . Should I place small indicators (crosshairs) where all the screws go?  Do the holes for the lamps and the switches need to be transparent or is a simple black circle good enough?

Thanks,

Jens

Looking great. I don't ever use lossless formats for exactly the reason you posted. Only jpgs I would use come from others or need compression for web use, etc.

Crosshair or dot where the posts go will work great. Holes can be a black circle. Those would be pulled out in Blender.

I do have more Cross Country assets if you need to see details better. https://drive.google.com/open?id=18kbWK8_nXR_zWstvw7umraPklzesqWYS&usp=drive_fs

4 hours ago, Thalamus said:

If I only had a few percents of you talent.

Thanks, but please change talent with patience. I have absolutely no talent for graphics-zero! Doing redrawings is nothing but having the tools and knowing how to use them. I'm started to convert the Pat Hand playfield into my "Hommage to Christian Marche" pinball idea. Total fail. I don't even know the basics of creating (!!) a decent graphic. I outsourced that job to my brother, he has this kind of talent.

Everything you need to redraw a back glass or a playfield is patience.... and the software of course.

17 hours ago, Silversurfer said:

Thanks, but please change talent with patience. I have absolutely no talent for graphics-zero! Doing redrawings is nothing but having the tools and knowing how to use them. I'm started to convert the Pat Hand playfield into my "Hommage to Christian Marche" pinball idea. Total fail. I don't even know the basics of creating (!!) a decent graphic. I outsourced that job to my brother, he has this kind of talent.

Everything you need to redraw a back glass or a playfield is patience.... and the software of course.

You are too modest.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:40 PM, Thalamus said:

Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of "KnockOut" - if for any odd reason, you don't have any projects ;)

https://pinballvideos.com/m/knockout

You're work is really impressive. If I only had a few percents of you talent.

I have been saving pictures for a long time and have never even come close to finishing. I started a build like a year ago and realized how little I know about scripting. I do not have a scan of the PF, but I was going to do my best to skew what I have to match a picture of a repro with all the hole locations that I found. Maybe someday I'll get my hands on a real one and get a scan. 

KO.png