Window Top and Bottom Z ofs

Window Top Z ofs

Window Bottom Z ofs

Experimenting with these settings, i tend to make a mess of the table.

Does one just adjust them until you get the look to your liking ?

I dont full understand the settings, even though i realise they adjust the slope of each half of the table.

• Content Provider

Bottom is how close in cm (perpendicularly) the front edge of the playfield is to the inside surface of the glass, Top Z Offset is how close the inner top edge of the glass is to the playfield surface.  The difference between the two determines how the visual slope of the table appears on your screen and how the elements on it are rendered.

Been meaning to write my routine down anyway: 

0.  Set up screen dimensions and player position in VPX video prefs.

1. Launch the game normally and hit F12 then Plunger key to load an automatically generated Window PoV  1b. Navigate this menu using the MagnaSave keys and adjust the values with the Flipper keys 
  2. If the posts/targets/etc. at the top look too tall or short, adjust Window Top Z Ofs. until they look about right (usually they are too tall/stretched, so increase Z Ofs. to shorten them) 
  3. Adjust Table XYZ Scale (always together!) to 100% (this *should* make the ball match the size of a real pinball).  Optionally, zoom in/out a bit to fit the screen 
  4. Adjust Vertical Offset to line up top of screen to back of table 
  5. Repeat 2-4 until you're happy 
  6. Hit Start to save (to an .ini in the table's folder that shares the table name)

Bonus:

1. Navigate up to Option Page and change to Table Options 
  2. Adjust the Day/Night and Tonemapper to your taste.  - Reinhard is the classic for VPX, leaning toward warmer yellow lighting.  - Tony McMapFace is custom, browsing the gap between VPX and more modern/realistic rendering.  - Filmic is similar to Reinhard in hue, but with flatter color shading and more overall contrast. 
  3. Check out any other options the authors have added to this page. 
  4. When you're done, hit Start again to save to the same .ini 
  5. Check out the Information page, as well as any other pages that may be present 
  6. Hit F12 again and start playing!

pov._VPX._new._window.png

Posted (edited)

Cheers for that Wylte, very concise reply,  must have overlooked when you posted Thursday, apologises.

As Cliffy states would be a good pinned post of yours.

"3. Adjust Table XYZ Scale (always together!) to 100% (this *should* make the ball match the size of a real pinball).  Optionally, zoom in/out a bit to fit the screen"

Ah, i usually try altering X separate to YZ scale, thats where im going wrong then.

Edited by RabidUrko
additional comments.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Am i still not doing something correct ?, i have read the above over and over and sure i cannot be , it aint that difficult.

I can get the table looking as i want, but i always have the top bits on the left and right of the playfield where i have to make the X scale that bit more than the YZ, or

is this the case sometimes ?

To fully fill the screen at the top i would have to make the X scale more than the YZ.

I dont find the window Z ofs values match what they should in "real life" either.

(My cabinet is being worked on right now which is why monitor bare on sides)

Cheers.

431914109_8122990024397458_2261040826655522189_n.jpg

Edited by RabidUrko

5 hours ago, RabidUrko said:

Am i still not doing something correct ?, i have read the above over and over and sure i cannot be , it aint that difficult.

I can get the table looking as i want, but i always have the top bits on the left and right of the playfield where i have to make the X scale that bit more than the YZ, or

is this the case sometimes ?

To fully fill the screen at the top i would have to make the X scale more than the YZ.

I dont find the window Z ofs values match what they should in "real life" either.

(My cabinet is being worked on right now which is why monitor bare on sides)

Cheers.

For me, the Window POV mode works great but only for newer SS tables, where the playfield is set deeper into the cabinet, on a steeper angle to accommodate ramps, toys and sideblades. For EM style tables, which are typically single layer set parallel to the glass, the Legacy mode works better. Try my settings below for 4 Square and see how they look from your cabinet perspective.

4square_POV.thumb.jpg.fb8041e1fa6c3000be1709073fec702a.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ahhh cheers for that info, didnt think of what you state.

Great settings for EM , i might just use this as a default .ini for EM/level with glass tables to go by from now on.

Im probably making more of a meal out of all this sizing of the tables than most would and i apologise for this.

431247421_8127193310643796_5976813867350794061_n.jpg

Edited by RabidUrko