World Cup And Car Hop

BobAlbright

• Content Provider

Looks great and plays great, but there are some sounds that don't belong. There's a 500 em bell sound for one. The gamestart and game over sound are correct, but have an ending that isn't. If you were to trim the sound to half it's length it would be perfect. The "sattelite sound effect at the end is what I mean.

• Content Provider

If you look in the manual, there are solenoids for chimes.  Maybe it was a table that could be set to chimes or electronic sounds.  The manual, like most from this era, is vague.  If you don't want the chimes you could comment out those solenoids.  As far as the other sounds, they are in the rom and out of my control.

• Content Provider

Hmm... the reason I said this is  I used to have one. Maybe mine used a different rom then. The start/end sound is the same as Contact, which I don't remember World Cup having the same sound for start/end, but I could be wrong. Contact is the same year I think. The em thing is news to me.

Thanks Tom. Still a wonderful release. So glad it got made!

• Content Provider

OK Itch, I looked a little deeper.  I've been working on so many things at the same time that I forget what I've done.  In the manual it has solenoid 7 as "bell" and solenoids 9-12 as 10, 100, 1000, 10000 point chime.  What Eala had done (and what I did also because they sounded better) was to assign sound samples to those solenoids.  If you go into the dips and turn off synth sound and comment out the 7-12 solenoids, you can here the electronic chime sounds.  Watching the PAPA video, the game starts with the chime intro but then has synth sounds.  No combination of dips seems to give you that.  As soon as synth sounds are enabled you get that long intro/outro sound effect.  That sound is obviously in the rom.  Not sure there's a (simple) way to fix it since if you disable the synth sounds it automatically plays the chimes.

• Content Provider

Check and see what the dips are set on yours.  Is the synth sound checked?  If synth sound isn't checked that sound isn't present but the electronic chimes are.  Is that what it's supposed to sound like?  If the synth sound dip is checked in the vp8 or my version that sound effect seems to be there.  Let me know because I really have no idea what the accurate sounds are.  I've never even seen this machine in real life.

• Content Provider

What's a sound synth? :P  I really haven't messed with roms/dipswitches much. I did in real life, but I had a manual being an operator. But I admit I didn't know this had chime capability.

The vp8 is spot on soundwise (Eala's vpm version). This is one of many I either used to own or had in the house as a kid. I had a Capt Fantastic next to it. ;)

• Content Provider

When you get a chance, check your dips and see what they are set at.  Eala's vp8 sounds the same (as I used his samples) as mine depending on the dip settings.  I would be interested in what the true sounds are.

Archived