Upgrade From 40" 60Hz To 40" 120Hz Lcd, Is It Worth Doing?

I'm looking at a Sony 40" monitor that is 120Hz.  It will fit my cab a little better than what I have but the main attraction for me is the 120Hz refresh. 

Anyone have one of these? Does it make much of a difference with VP/FP?  IS it really worth while or would uou just stick with a 60Hz model?

Yeah, I have noticed on some FP tables I get stutter/lag others none. VP tables I usually don't have a lot of problem with but some get weird during heavy lighting effects or during Multiball.  I was thinking the 120Hz would be more for correcting things like motion blur like when a ball is moving fast or the ghosting you sometimes get on flippers.

I guess what I'm looking for is does the 120Hz have an "OH WOW" effect on the tables of both systems or is it just something I might want to consider for the next build down the line? 

I doubt it that this are real 120 Hz. As far as my knowledge goes Sony uses this only for the motionflow technique and this aren`t real 120 Hz. But can you give me the model number?

If this is only the motionflow Hz than you can skip it. If you activate it, the TV will just alter the picture to make it more smooth and sharper in motion. This CAN give input lag. Aside from that Sony TV´s are still very good. Nice sharp image and good colors. But as always it depends witch model you take.

For Pinball 60 Hz are more then enough in my opinion. You get the main benefit from 120 Hz in 3D modes with shutter glasses like the nvidia 3D Vision. 

Also, if your average fps in games are below 60 then you simply don`t use the benefit from the 120 Hz monitor if you pinpoint it on the Hz. A shitty 120 Hz monitor will also have the poorer picture quality as a good 60 Hz model.

And on a side note... Don`t focus on the Hz to much. There is also a huge difference between TV´s and computer monitors. A computer monitor with 120 Hz mostly comes with "real" 120 Hz. TV´s are a completely different because they have do meet TV signal standards like PAL or NTSC and there is nothing that "needs" real 120 Hz.

EDIT:

Here is the Motionflow from Sony explained. It can enhance the picture quality in pinball but i can also result in input lag. Mostly only a few milliseconds but in gaming it´s highly annoying,

Archived