17 minutes ago, adamstillman said:

did anyone ever get the proper English files?? i tried patching it with the English version but no success.

Although the colorization isn't complete, it works fine with the English rom.  You just need to patch the ROM with the diff file and then rename the wptcolor.dat file to pin2dmd.pal and place it in the altcolor folder.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, subdisturb said:

Although the colorization isn't complete, it works fine with the English rom.  You just need to patch the ROM with the diff file and then rename the wptcolor.dat file to pin2dmd.pal and place it in the altcolor folder.

thanks, i got the pal file but i cant get the rom to work, i tried renaming the English bin file to french, renaming the diff file from french to English, and vice versa,  still.... when using vpm to test.. vpm pops up a error saying to check rom path...

can you guys tell me exactly what you renamed to get this to work?

19 hours ago, adamstillman said:

thanks, i got the pal file but i cant get the rom to work, i tried renaming the English bin file to french, renaming the diff file from french to English, and vice versa,  still.... when using vpm to test.. vpm pops up a error saying to check rom path...

can you guys tell me exactly what you renamed to get this to work?

You can use the color/rom patch tool found on this site.  The diff file name doesn't matter.  If you don't already have the English rom, grab it from the Stern website.  Extract the bin file from the zip and then use the patching tool (or bsdiff from a command prompt if you prefer).  The bin file after patching should be called" wpt_1400a.bin" and then zip that file up into "wpt_140a.zip".  Put the "wpt_140a.zip" file in your vpinmame/rom folder and the pin2dmd.pal file in the vpinmame/altcolor/wpt_140a folder.

2 hours ago, slydog43 said:

why do some colored roms require a patch and others just use the .vni & .pal files?  

Stern SAM colorizations which are based on pinballbrowser use a patch and a .pal file
Other colorizations which are based on the pin2dmd editor use a .vni and a .pal file.

4 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Stern SAM colorizations which are based on pinballbrowser use a patch and a .pal file
Other colorizations which are based on the pin2dmd editor use a .vni and a .pal file.

Except this extra special case (WPT) where people appear to have augmented the PinballBrowser colorization with Pin2DMD-editor keyframe detection to switch palettes.     From what I saw in the Pin2DMD editor it was only keyframes palette switches, but it means you could have patch+pal+vni all at once. :)

11 hours ago, DJRobX said:

Except this extra special case (WPT) where people appear to have augmented the PinballBrowser colorization with Pin2DMD-editor keyframe detection to switch palettes.     From what I saw in the Pin2DMD editor it was only keyframes palette switches, but it means you could have patch+pal+vni all at once. :)

Right, and we might need that in the future to get around the "out of memory problem" of pinballbrowser.

ok,.. i think i patched the english rom correctly, and i have a pal file in my altfolder ( renamed the .dat file).  i tested it and i see some color and works ok.  however... after reading the latest comments.. is it true i am also missing a VNI file in the altcolor folder also???? 

if this is true...how can i get the vni file??