Keeping All Table Files In Order

Hey all,

I am just getting VP10 going and getting all the new tables installed, and I am realizing my "Tables" folder is getting downright huge and quite a mess.  The question I have is with VP9, Phys Mod5, and now VP10 tables, is how is everyone keeping all these together and easily found in the table folder?  I have seen separate folders including the B2S file for each table away from Visual pinball, but I assume that will not fly in the "tables" folder.  Just wondering if people are naming the system identifier such as (VP10) (Table name) (version number) or (table name) (version number) (VP10) etc for the different types of tables.  As more VP10 tables come on line and revisions are happening I am hoping to figure out a neat and tidy way of finding the existing tables and changing as required, and eliminating the older ones.

Any input to what people are doing is much appreciated.

Cheers, 

• Content Provider

Pretty easy, just add folders in your table folder for each version you are using.

this is essential since different versions often come with a new VBS package as well.

You really don t want those mixed up since the names didn t change most of the times and they will overwrite the old files wich could become a backwqards problem for the older games.

You can add as much folders as you like and only if you have pinballX installed you can't use any more folders inside the folder you have choosen for the path

But if you don't then you can even go as far as giving each game it's own folder

So basicly you can make tables/vp10 as the path for VPX.

If you don t create a mess of it and keep it all organized nice then you find yourself having no problems. 

if you made a mess then better make a clean install and then put in tables and test them out if you're not sure wich version it belongs to.

You really don t want to have physmod, 9.9 and 9.2 tables in the same folder either since comaptibily is almost never working right.

• 5 months later...

No, there is no simple way to identify the correct VP9 executable based on the file.    9.2 vs 9.9 is typically less of a problem, it's a bigger issue with the Physmod5 stuff that will be all wrong if you try to play it in the wrong version. 

I've always kept them all together (kind of necessary with HyperPin... need to switch to PinballX one of these days).   I have VP9.2, VP9.9, and VP9.9 Physmod5 exes all in one visual pinball folder, with a Tables folder under that.   Vpexetables.txt tells HyperPin which EXE goes with which table.  

Just make sure you keep the LATEST version of the VBS scripts, the older VP's seem fine with it.    I have yet to encounter a table that requires an older version. 

Archived