Windows 8 Tablet Support Coming To Visual Pinball!

• Administrators

Fuzzel, Toxie and Koadic are doing some great and amazing things with Visual Pinball.  Included in the most recent nightly build of Visual Pinball, tablet computer support has been added.

Tablet computer support is coming to Visual Pinball!  Currently there is basic touch screen controls built into the latest nightly build of VP. I've only been able to get flippers to work, but if this is a picture of what's to come... this could be fun. 

While the full screen/cabinet tables look great on a tablet.  I've found that our new Hybrid View (HV), perfected by Rascal, is perfect for tablet application.  The below screen shots are of Visual Pinball on my Lenovo Miix 2 Windows 8 tablet.

Flying Turns

post-2-0-23889700-1389495944_thumb.jpg  

South Park

post-2-0-80283100-1389495952_thumb.jpg

Below video shows this in action, by VPF member bosvrucht

** Note ** This appears to only going to be able to work on Windows 8 tablets. It's possible it might work on Windows RT tablets, but I have not been able to test on Windows RT.

• Administrators

Just messing around... I stripped HyperSpin down to bare minimums.

HyperPin on tablet

post-2-0-68123900-1389500032_thumb.jpg

I can't get touch controls working yet, but may be able to use a program like Gestureworks to add touchscreen controls for it.

** Note ** This appears to only going to be able to work on Windows 8 tablets. It's possible it might work on Windows RT tablets, but I have not been able to test on Windows RT.

RT is a completely different architecture and incompartible to Windows 8. It's so incompartible Microsoft might as well have called it Bananas instead of Windows.

I doubt it would work.

RT is a completely different architecture and incompartible to Windows 8. It's so incompartible Microsoft might as well have called it Bananas instead of Windows.

I doubt it would work.

Yes, Windows RT is compiled for ARM processors (same as in most android/ios phones/tablets) and would most likely require a full rewrite of VP to get it to work... so don't hold your breath :D (unless you don't need to breathe to live)

I can't get touch controls working yet, but may be able to use a program like Gestureworks to add touchscreen controls for it.

Cool!   Maybe we should bring tablet support to the attention of Tom Spiers; maybe he could add gesture support to PinballX (since that's actively being developed).  Native support might work better than adding hacks around hyperpin. 

Personally, I don't care for PinballX.  HyperPin is being actively developed as well and I've already talked to BBB about it.

On that note Dazz is it possible to get a update as to a release date on HP 2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

and the tablet support is now there with rev 868.. :)

current mapping:
 upper left - add credit
 middle upper left - left magna save/2nd button
 middle lower left - left flipper
 lower left - start
 upper right - quit
 middle upper right - right magna save/2nd button
 middle lower right - right flipper
 lower right - plunger

now onto a usable touch interface (i also vote for hyperpin, although maybe even something new/tile based?? :))

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Windows RT is compiled for ARM processors (same as in most android/ios phones/tablets) and would most likely require a full rewrite of VP to get it to work... so don't hold your breath :D (unless you don't need to breathe to live)

Also VP / VPM is unlike to be able to go into the windows store.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

Picked up a Surface Pro and just got everything set up, hate to say that I really just got this thing for VP, and somewhat directly, for the touch/tablet development that has been done and these fantastic Hybrid View tables by Rascal. I'd like to see PinballX or HyperPin with touch support, currently the PinballX touch support is less than desirable, once it gets there I'll be throwing preview videos on it as my travel pinball machine.

Side note: this thing runs HOT, but the tables play fantastic, Intel i5 proc and HD4000 graphics using the DX9 tests and it is great.

• 9 months later...

Archived