B2swindowpunch not punching. (PENDING)

Disclaimer up front, WAY more likely this is some type of user error / shenanigans than an actual B2S Server issue. If this was the wrong place to post / ask / beg, then I humbly apologize. 

After months of attempts, I'm turning to expert help get B2S Window Punch functionality working. Tried originally with B2S 2.1.0 and again today with 2.1.1 -3b (file version 1.27) without success.  No hole is ever cut in either the backglass or dmd.

I am running a 1-screen setup. Backglass and B2S DMD come up just fine.

Confirmed B2SWindowPunchActive is checked in Settings -> More backglass settings.

Confirmed B2SBackglassSever was registered for each version.

VPX is running v10.8.0 Beta (Not sure this is relevant)

Attempted with VPX running windowed and in exclusive fullscreen mode.

B2S Sever is running in a folder separate from my tables folder. Also tried with the punch files in with the tables as a shot in the dark.

My B2SWindowPunch.log shows the following from my last attempt:

"C:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Visual Pinball\B2S Server\B2SInit.cmd" "Fish Tales (Williams 1992) VPW v1.0" "ft_l5" 
B2SWindowPunch = "^B2S Backglass$|^B2S Backglass Server$|^B2S DMD$" 
cutter = "^Virtual DMD$|^Virtual Alphanumeric Display$|^PUPSCREEN[0-9]+$|^VPinMAME:|^PROC:" 
"C:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Visual Pinball\B2S Server\B2SWindowPunch.exe" "^B2S Backglass$|^B2S Backglass Server$|^B2S DMD$" "^Virtual DMD$|^Virtual Alphanumeric Display$|^PUPSCREEN[0-9]+$|^VPinMAME:|^PROC:"  
Current destination: ^B2S Backglass$|^B2S Backglass Server$|^B2S DMD$
Destination: B2S DMD on '\\.\DISPLAY1' (100 %)
   cutout: Virtual DMD
Destination: B2S Backglass Server on '\\.\DISPLAY1' (100 %)
   cutout: Virtual DMD

Listing all available windows:

B2S Backglass Server: (6,13)-(566,388)
B2S DMD: (1402,13)-(1914,231)
Virtual DMD: (1439,132)-(1887,210)
Visual Pinball - [Fish Tales (Williams 1992) VPW v1.0]: (283,82)-(1766,1002)
Visual Pinball Player: (0,0)-(1920,1080)

Consequently, PupDesktopPunch works like a champ. (Not related to B2S Server functions I know, but just wanted to provide that as a data point if it helps troubleshoot at all.)

I'm just at a loss at this point. Please let me know what other information or checks I can perform.

Thank you.

Tilt_Sensor

Edited by Tilt_Sensor
Troubleshooting Continues

For anyone else that ends up searching this out in the future...

I managed to implement a fix, though I don't know why there was an issue to begin with.

My default B2SInit.cmd file included the following lines:

REM using "Virtual DMD", "Virtual Alphanumeric" and all "PUPSCREEN" forms as regular expressions
set "cutter=^Virtual DMD$|^Virtual Alphanumeric Display$|^PUPSCREEN[0-9]+$|^VPinMAME:|^PROC:"

I removed the PUPSCREEN portion and B2SWindowPunch started working. Hallelujah! 

My updated line looks like this:

set "cutter=^Virtual DMD$|^Virtual Alphanumeric Display$|^VPinMAME:|^PROC:"

What about pups punching through?  I use a separate instance of PupDesktopPunch in each of the PUPVideos folders for that. Works like a champ.

Again, I have no idea why this change made any difference whatsoever. I was systematically changing one thing at a time and seeing if there was any positive effect. Could hardly believe it. For any other lost souls that might end up struggling with this as well, I hope this works for you too.

Tilt_Sensor

• Tilt_Sensor changed the title to B2swindowpunch not punching. (SOLVED)

i am glad you made it work, but I am not convinced yet, that it will be the best option for everyone.

I would assume the problem isn’t the string to B2Sinit, rather PupdesktopPunch and B2SWindowPunch use exactly the same technique, David was so kind to tell the secrets how it works. The only difference between the two is B2S… is open source and can be configured as you just did. The pup counterpart can only do minor configuration but only towards pup windows.

Though they could interfere with each other. A good thing would be to add this fact to the documentation.

7 hours ago, jarr3 said:

i am glad you made it work, but I am not convinced yet, that it will be the best option for everyone.

Spot on @jarr3, I absolutely agree.  Seemed like I was in the minority already with it not working to begin with. This 'fix' might well only apply for a small percentage of that small percentage .  Probably best characterized as something folks could try if all other troubleshooting has been attempted and nothing else seems to work.  

A variation of the A-Team preamble comes to mind...

If you have a problem, if no one else can help and if you can't find a solution. Maybe you could try this...

On 5/8/2024 at 4:42 AM, Tilt_Sensor said:

Spot on @jarr3, I absolutely agree.  Seemed like I was in the minority already with it not working to begin with. This 'fix' might well only apply for a small percentage of that small percentage .  Probably best characterized as something folks could try if all other troubleshooting has been attempted and nothing else seems to work.  

A variation of the A-Team preamble comes to mind...

If you have a problem, if no one else can help and if you can't find a solution. Maybe you could try this...

Hi @Tilt_Sensor can you show a screenshot where you managed to cut with the punch apps? I want to investigate why it didn't work...

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jarr3 said:

Hi @Tilt_Sensor can you show a screenshot where you managed to cut with the punch apps? I want to investigate why it didn't work...

I've attached a screenshot showing my desktop setup with the successful cut in the Full DMD (I moved the Virtual DMD window to show the cut clearly). Nearly all tables I have are/were setup this way. 

However, what I thought 'fixed' it now doesn't appear to be the resolution. I restored my original B2SInit.cmd file (unmodified) in order to get a screenshot of it not working. Only it worked. I had backed up my old B2S Server file during troubleshooting and started with a fresh download at one point to try that. So, I restored the old folder, and it also worked. 

Seems clear, something else was causal. 

The 'good news' is that I have a system backup from March that I just confirmed has the original 'no-cut' behavior. Let me know if there are any files from that you'd like me to pull.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 193010.png

Edited by Tilt_Sensor

• Tilt_Sensor changed the title to B2swindowpunch not punching. (PENDING)