Flickering Start Button

Dazz

• Administrators

I noticed something strange... about the same time my stuttering issues started I noticed my Start button has started flickering.  I'm not sure if these two issues are related or not. I'm not sure if a flickering LED could cause stutter all of a sudden.  

The flickering is just a real fast paced flicker.  At first I thought it was something in my LEDWiz control panel settings, but it's not.  I also thought that my LED was burning out so I replaced it and the new one is doing the same thing.  I have not yet pulled things apart to test and see if there is something wrong with the wiring, but that's my next step.

Any ideas as to what would cause just a single LED to flicker?

• Content Provider

I haven't seen that before.  Does it happen when you run your ledwiz outside of VP/HP?

Try using the ledwiz program from groovygamegear's website to manually turn the port on and see if it does the same thing.  You could then at least rule out software as being the problem.

• Administrators

Well, I pulled some things apart today.  It appears that the flickering LED is actually bad.  I pulled the LED and dropped it into a coin return socket and it flickers.

However, digging deeper... I always use the LEDWiz program to test my inputs. I can change the colors of LED's, but my contactors, gear, shaker, or the start/launch ball/extra ball will NOT trigger.  I loaded up a table and they are not working in the table either, but the lights/flashers are flashing and changing colors.

• Administrators

Below is how the ports on my LEDWiz are assigned.

post-2-0-93897000-1365555382_thumb.png

I am able to change the colors of the RGB Flipper that's assigned to ports 23, 24 & 25.  Nothing else on that side triggers though.

• Content Provider

Apart from your problem, i see you have an open output and you don't have strobes.

This is the toy i like the most, i use them in all my ledwiz config updates at the nicer way than i can, for strobe and flash, highly recommended (specially in love with my monster bash update) ;)

• Content Provider

here are a lot of examples of strobes

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html;jsessionid=1FE377F4FB75ED7A426D24F58D87DADD?_nkw=Set%20Car%20Truck%2022%20LED%20White%20Flashing%20Flash%20Strobe%20Light&_itemId=221048265582#ht_2715wt_1396

ideally they are set on each side of the outside leds

Here is my example, just with the flahsing, but the rendering is real is much better than the video

btw, is it possible to integrate youtube videos directly in the posts?

• Administrators

Yes, that's correct.  I have noticed that the LED on that board has gone from fading into different colors to the LED flashing during the fade.  Not sure if that would have anything to do with it.  The mosfet board is getting power from the terminal strips across from it. I've tested the voltages on the terminal strips and they are showing the correct voltages, 5v (red) and 12v (blue) and ground (black).

This should be pretty straight forward to fault find I hope Dazz.

Disconnect all of the outputs from the Mosfet booster board. Make sure using the LEDwiz program that all the outputs to that board are off. Connect your start button back up and turn it on using the LEDwiz program to see if the flickering has stopped.

If it has, continue to connect up and turn on each output one at a time to see which causes the fault to return.

If it doesn't clear, try connecting your start button to the other booster board and turn it on to see if the fault clears

Let me know how you go so we know where to look next.

• Administrators

The flickering of the LED was the LED actually going bad. I replaced it, hooked the light up to the other board and it's working fine.  It looks like the outputs on the mosfet board are bad.  I tested all of the outputs and none of them seem to be sending out to the LEDwiz.

Archived