RetroFlair 2

TerryRed

• 3 months later...
  • Content Provider

RetroFlair 2 - EPIC Gamez N Tunes

Preview Video featuring Table features and the entire Tron EPIC Gamez mode.

Finally...the first preview of my EPIC sequel to ROM's classic FP table. Be prepared to have your jaw drop as you have never seen virtual pinball like this! This features the most EPIC Tron pinball game ever made... with a surprise "BIG" ending!

Get yourself some popcorn, get comfy.... and watch the entire video from start to finish.

I don't want to say too much and spoil the MANY cool moments you will see. I show the entire Tron mode playthrough non-stop... and its one EPIC moment after another. 

This was a real work of passion to try things I've always wanted to do, and also show what can be done in digital pinball with a little imagination and time. This table is using many of BAM's latest features, as well as using the new "TerryRed texture animation" method I came up with that is used throughout the table. Combined with FP-BAM's amazing dynamic lighting, this makes for stunning visuals.

I've always wanted to do my own table and also my own version of a Tron pinball game and here it is.. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks go out to those who contributed resources:

SLAMT1LT - (Tron sounds and music and inspiration from his excellent Tron tables)
Wild - (Tron disc conversion)
Schreibi34 - (for his gorgeous insert jewel images)
Rom - (for the original RetroFlair table, ghost / lightcycle / lightjet models)
Gimli, GeorgeH, Wild Steve Paradis, shiva and others at Pinball Nirvanna for support
ravarcade - for the amazing BAM that continues to evolve and allows imagination to drive pinball creation and unique experiences

Keep an eye out... there are more EPIC Gamez to come!

https://youtu.be/0QcjBcTkVN0

CuMrBV0.jpg

Terry,
Bloody brilliant mate. A lot of hard work I’m sure, a different level of Pinball by far. I hope everyone appreciates your contribution as we are the benefactors of your brilliance, I actually think someone the other day commented-“ are you even human”
Take that as a compliment, I’m fairly new to VP but am learning more each day, G’Day from Australia.
Stay safe and healthy.
Trevor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Content Provider

RetroFlair 2 - "Behind the Scenes". A visual showcase of how all the magic happens! (Future Pinball)

Wow! Thanks for all the praise I've been seeing for my first preview video for RetroFlair 2. As a result, I decided to do a unique video that "shows" you how it all works behind the scenes in "real-time". I demonstrate how I use BAM's many features to create and do all the cool things you see (without being too technical), and how I brought Tron to life in a pinball game like you've never seen before.

Everything is bookmarked for quick reference:

Introduction - 0:00
Inspiration and motives - 2:04
Lighting - 3:01
Texture Animations - 6:01
Inserts - 7:34
Table Misc Features - 9:54
BAM Custom Models, Animated Characters - 13:11
BAM Mini Playfields - 15:39
Magna-Portal 20:23
TRON Epic Gamez mode - 24:26
Disc Wars - 33:16
Animated Character Opponent Targets - 36:54
LightCycle Battle - 38:39
LightJet Battle - 46:00
Tron Classic - 50:58
Closing Thoughts - 57:26

Watched it, loved it, didn’t understand a bloody word of it. But of course I can’t wait for its release. Your skills seem unlimited in creating an amazing step up in Pinball animation/ realism. If Pinball has a cutting edge, then this is it, a huge step towards immersing the player within a storyline that has a beginning, middle and end. Well done Terry, classic. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

RetroFlair 2 - new Epic Gamez mode teaser!

I'm so excited to finally announce and show off a tiny teaser video for the new Epic Gamez mode I've "started" to work on for RetroFlair 2 for Future Pinball - BAM.

This is something I've wanted to do for a LONG time. I have a LONG ways to go, as I'm just at the beginning stages.... but like the Tron mode... this will be cool!

Those who payed attention on previous videos probably suspected this may happen. :)

Video teaser is here:

• Content Provider

RetroFlair 2 is my new table I'm working on which is a mega follow up to Rom's classic table...only blown out to Epic proportions! It allows you to play multiple different Gamez within this one table.

Since most of the Epic Gamez modes I'm making for RetroFlair 2 are like an entire different table within another table... I've decided to create separate posts for those modes (like I did with Tron). Some people may be fans of a particular mode's theme, but may not know what RetroFlair 2 is, and therefor will never see the cool pinball modes.

Now that the Tron mode is done, I'm now making a new Epic Games mode for RetroFlair 2. This one is based on my favorite game series...

Silent Hill

Similar to the Tron mode... I'm making this based on the Silent Hill movie. My intent is to have progression through the main events of the movie, while having the things that make the game iconic.

- foggy town

- darkness

- flashlight

- different locations (alley, school, hospital, church)

- otherworld levels (rusty, blood)

- creepy monsters

- creepy sounds

- iconic Akira Yamaoka music

I'm limited to what I can do since RetroFlair 2 is already very big, and I can only add so much before the table gets too big for FP to handle (32 bit app limitations). However I think I'll be able to add most of what I want to do.

Here is my first "teaser" announcement for the Silent Hill mode:

Sounds and Music

If there is one thing the Silent Hill series is known for, is the amazingly beautiful and disturbing sounds and music from the extremely talented Akira Yamaoka.

I bought every soundtrack I could get over the years. The number of sound files made for these games is crazy! Silent Hill 2 alone has many 100s of sound files. I'm going through ALL of them and the other games to find the sounds I need for Silent Hill mode.

6DnhUS6.png

While doing "research"... I decided to do some sound recordings from the games to use. I've only ever played SH2, SH3, SH4, Homecoming on my PC (which "today" is a real benefit with 4K, 60fps, Enhanced mods, etc)

Wow! Almost 20 years later, and I still have my original save game files!

Playing these now is like travelling back in time. It's awesome!

mLGaKFN.png

Silent Hill Textures

There's something freaky and cool about going through textures of a 20 year old game to use in a 13 year old pinball editor to be played on almost anything modern including a VR headset.

If anything, it makes me really appreciate the talent of texture artists, and how far ahead Team Silent was back then.

v0Xx6zQ.png

Monster models

I'll be adding many of the monsters from the movie / games. Most will be animated to some degree.

Straight Jacket

The "straight jacket / armless man" from the movies is tricky. I was able to extract the original model, but couldn't use the original texture as the UV wrapping info is lost with the extraction.

So with the help of a very talented VPX table author / modeler... he was able to fix up the model (half the polygons were flipped) and create a very cool looking texture to try to make it look more like the movie version (on the left). The model had a few slits in it, so he made them bloody looking, as well adding the cool bump mapped skin and veins! You can see how it will actually look in FP-BAM on the right.

The hard part will be figuring out how to animate this guy since he doesn't have "arms"...which makes using Mixamo for auto rigging and animation not possible, until I figure out another solution.

O64894w.png

Grey Children

This is also a bit tricky because there are no detailed models to use from the original game as Silent Hill 1 was on PS1 which looks like this. 

So I decided to find other models that I could use that were close enough, and maybe distort them to look more like the movie version. Here's what I have so far on the left compared to the movie on the right. I found a Resident Evil monster model, used Mixamo to auto-rig it into a T Pose...then used Blender to sacle the head to be bigger and twist it a bit.

Yes, I know it looks more like Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th Part 1 (when he jumped out of the lake)... but it's the best I can do unless a better option comes along. 

OQEW2BL.jpg

...and more monsters yet to come!

Foggy Town

Silent Hill the game and movie changes from foggy to the darkness / otherworld version of the same location. I "intend" to do the same for this table. How well that will work out we'll have to see.

This is where I am at currently with the foggy town look. This will be changing as you progress throughout the game.

rrYK89A.jpg

There is MUCH more to do and see... but like the Tron mode.... I promise you, you haven't seen anything like this in virtual pinball before!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Silent Hill - Nightmare Alley demo (RetroFlair 2 - Future Pinball)

Here is the first work in progress of the Silent Hill mode for my upcoming Future Pinball table RetroFlair 2.

Silent Hill is my favorite game series, and I really wanted to get to look / feel / sounds of that in this mode.

Keep in mind this is only the first part which is the Nightmare Alley opening. I didn't want to wait until the entire mode is done to show it off. That said, there is much more to come!

The movie videos are not part of the table (yet). I only added them for this demo, as PinEvent will be the very last thing to add to the table when it's done (a very long ways to go).

• Content Provider

When you are trying to animate an armless Silent Hill monster for RetroFlair 2... you need to add "fake arms" so it can be autorigged (adding a skeleton) to allow for animation. I manually added the nurse monster's arms to the armless monster. Here's how it turned out...

Ha... they may be tiny, but it works! 

The arms will just use an invisible texture, so you won't even see them.

imbJBZa.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

UPDATE

So.... I decided to make a major change.

Instead of having Silent Hill be a mode for RetroFlair 2, I'm now going to have it be it's own standalone table! I always wanted to do my own Silent Hill table, and given the size this would be when it's done, it makes much more sense.

Pros:

Silent Table table is now stand alone, and can be completely "mature" in it's content

RF2 was at 195 MB with the Silent Hill mode "so far" (the max I can go is around 250 MB). Now Silent Hill stand alone is only around 45 MB without RF2... so lot's more freedom for animations, music, sounds, models, and content.

RetroFlair 2 will now have more free space for me to add another Gamez mode to it (to be announced at a later time)

I'm going to make Tron Legacy and Tron Classic as separate Gamez modes on RF2

Cons:

more work to do for both tables

not sure which table will be finished first

long time before either is "done"

I'm not sure if I will change the "main" mode's layout for Silent Hill much. It will most likely retain the RF2 layout.

All work in progress updates will now be on this post:

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5077-silent-hill-now-a-standalone-table/?tab=comments#comment-52830

• 6 months later...