Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dzorbas

Some PIN2DMD power options for real pins

Recommended Posts

Someone else was asking about this and thought it might be good to collect a few links that may be useful for people owning real pins that want to use these displays:

For WPC89 games - https://www.pinballlife.com/power-tap-board-for-williamsbally-wpc-era-machines.html

For WPC95 games - https://www.pinballlife.com/power-tap-board-for-wpc-95.html

For Stern Whitestar/SAM games - https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-600-0047-00

 

You will also need the proper connector and pins to plug into these boards. You can either build your own, solder wires directly to the board or buy one of the following and modify them:

4 foot cable - https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-600-0367-00

8 foot cable - https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-600-0366-00

Y splitter cable - https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-12v-and-5v-splitter-harness.html

 

Pinball Life has a few other power boards and taps that you might find useful. I have no affiliation with these people, just thought it might be helpful. And yes, they are based in the US and I don't know whether they will ship worldwide.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my Gottlieb Tee'd Off, I bought a power supply and plugged it into the service outlet that is only on when the game is on. It has worked perfectly for over 2 years.

teed off power dmd power supply.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 3:14 PM, TimBoch said:

For my Gottlieb Tee'd Off, I bought a power supply and plugged it into the service outlet that is only on when the game is on. It has worked perfectly for over 2 years.

Definitely another great option and I recommended this in a different post. Are you sure that the service outlet is only powered when the game is on? I'm not sure about Gottlieb pins but many of the others that I've done work on generally have power going to that outlet as long as the pin is plugged in. It doesn't have to be powered on. I'd think that you would want to be able to plug something into that outlet, such as a soldering iron, and work on the pin while it was powered off...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2019 at 10:39 PM, dzorbas said:

Definitely another great option and I recommended this in a different post. Are you sure that the service outlet is only powered when the game is on? I'm not sure about Gottlieb pins but many of the others that I've done work on generally have power going to that outlet as long as the pin is plugged in. It doesn't have to be powered on. I'd think that you would want to be able to plug something into that outlet, such as a soldering iron, and work on the pin while it was powered off...

 

My Tee'd Off has 2 outlets. One is powered as long as the pin is plugged in, the second is powered only if the pin is turned on. So works great to plug an extra power supply to power the Pin2DMD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TimBoch said:

My Tee'd Off has 2 outlets. One is powered as long as the pin is plugged in, the second is powered only if the pin is turned on. So works great to plug an extra power supply to power the Pin2DMD.

That would be perfect! Too bad all games didn't have that setup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...