VPUniverse.com Online Virtual Pinball League

• Administrators

VPUniverse.com Online Virtual Pinball League

Welcome to the VPUniverse.com Online Virtual Pinball League. These leagues are for fun, bragging rights and possible fourm/site perks only. There are no monetary or physical prizes being awarded. 

Please read and understand the following rules.  By all players playing by the rules fairly; we can hopefully have a fun event. This is all done on the honor system; please play fair.

All games should be using Visual Pinball X (only) & PinMAME or Pinball FX3 (Console or PC). 
Players may use a desktop view or Pincab view.  

This league is using Match Play Events.  Users must register with Match Play Events. 

The league is a series of events. Each event will have 5 games, aka arenas, per event. Players may play and submit scores, via the league event page on Match Play Events, as many times as they want per game.  Only the highest score per player/per game will be accepted.  The players lowest score on 1 game will be dropped. Top score in each arena earns 100 points, second score 99 points, etc.  This will give a possible max score of 400 points for each event. 

Games in the arena will be listed at start of the event. Games will be listed with the Game version - Author - ROM Version.  This is the game and ROM that should be used for this specific event. Players can use the normal ROM or Color ROM if available (as long as version is the same IE: trn_170h or trn_170hc). 

Players MUST submit their score by taking a Picture using the following standard:
* Screenshots are not allowed - Pictures must be taken with camera. 
* Pictures showing High Scores will not be accepted.
* Picture MUST contain the Game Over screen with the players score.
* The image MUST also include a card/paper with the Name of the League Event, your VPUniverse.com Username and Date written on it visible along with the score.
     ** The League Event Name, Username & date written must be legible.
     ** The written date must be between the event start & end date.
     ** Name of the game.
* All images submitted prior/after the event start time/date will not be counted.
* All submitted scores are manually approved by Tournament Director/Admin.

* Tournament Directors/Admin has the rights to reject any suspicious scores without warning.

This is an example the picture as how your score sheet should be submitted.
example_score_submission.png

By submitting scores to this league; the player agrees that the following terms have been met.
* The game & ROM used has not been modified in any possible way (POV excluded).
* ROM's used must be at default settings.
* Player played the game as intended and did not use any possible means of cheating.

Click Image Below to Register:
matchplay.png

• Dazz pinned this topic
  • Administrators
29 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Great idea!  I tried the link and am registered on MatchPlay, but I got an error message that the tournament was not found ("Tournament Not Found").  The URL is https://matchplay.events/app/tournaments/33588  Any ideas?

Try this one. https://matchplay.live/vpuleague1

May explain why I haven't had any other people playing... This is why this is just a test. Wish I would have known earlier.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
On 5/24/2019 at 10:08 PM, naeromagus said:

I would like to play. Am I too late of are you still doing this? 

Still planning on doing this in the near future.

i know back in the day when i played mame online i used kairella client. it worked it away where the users were defaulted to default nvram. so no one could cheat. i dunno if there is such a thing still,... But i will say that virtual pinaball has come a long way since the early days of vp shiva forums and such.  Eagerly awaiting updates on this !!

It is totally useless to try to make VPX competitions. Compare gameplay that Wob used to extract as many frames as possible for dmd colorization towards a cab like mine where you just have to breath on the cab before it tilts. There is that, and of course that you can change single objects properties. Some kind of checksum routine might work but, again, don't see how that is going to pick up nudge settings and alike. The honour system, trusting each others scores is IMO the best solution. Easiest too.

I enjoy competitions. But, I started shaking my head the minute I started reading the complicated rules.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Thalamus said:

I enjoy competitions. But, I started shaking my head the minute I started reading the complicated rules.

What's the complicated part?  This is basically the same method we use at league games on real machines.

I mean, come on, I'm the only one trying to do something to encourage people to play... Name an easier method that doesn't require much development.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Make a thread. Post the tables, submit your scores - done. Both VPF and VPinball has had their tournaments, with varying degree of success. One of the really long threads on VPF is about the weekly comps.

This is totally different than some simple high-score competition that those sites run.  This would be an on-going league that spans across multiple events with league scoring.  This is how legit pinball leagues are done.   Yes, this does have a couple more hoops to jump through, but the people willing to make these jumps would be more serious and honest competition.

• 9 months later...

Dazz,

Any future progress on this? I love a good challenge and like how you have laid things out. Sure, there will always be The cheaters out there, but don’t let that discourage you from building something fun for the rest of us that just like a good clean competition playing VP. It looks like you’ve done a lot of the heavy lifting already.

• 1 month later...