XML and PinballX

mlevant1965

PinballX uses xml and if you understand the format it means you can edit the file directly instead of using the tool that comes with it to administer the tables with. I would say it is a advantage to know a bit about it - not not a 100% requirement. It is just like any other frontend. It stores information about the tables, videos, pictures in some kind of file format. Pinup Popper pr. example uses SQL. Not directly a file - but still. Information stored. Do you need to know SQL ? No, but, again an advantage.

an XML is your table list,  its basically a list of all your tables that will appear as you scroll through your PInballX menu

If you don't have one then you will never be able to load a table via PInballX.

their are two entries you need to be familiar with

table name -->   the name in the XML needs to match your table file name, if they don't match  you will get a "table not found" error when you try to load the table.

Media name -->  the media that is displayed by Pinball X needs to match ALL!!!  the media you have or Pinball X will not find it.

if you are not comfortable manually editing this XML,  you can use PinballXs   Game Manager.exe

this is a GUI that will let you  ADD/Remove tables,  import and rename media and tables to match your XML names.

14 hours ago, Pinballuser said:

an XML is your table list,  its basically a list of all your tables that will appear as you scroll through your PInballX menu

If you don't have one then you will never be able to load a table via PInballX.

their are two entries you need to be familiar with

table name -->   the name in the XML needs to match your table file name, if they don't match  you will get a "table not found" error when you try to load the table.

Media name -->  the media that is displayed by Pinball X needs to match ALL!!!  the media you have or Pinball X will not find it.

if you are not comfortable manually editing this XML,  you can use PinballXs   Game Manager.exe

this is a GUI that will let you  ADD/Remove tables,  import and rename media and tables to match your XML names

Thank you both thank you both for your help. To answer pinballuser, I do use table manager. I have visual pinball to go to my path for my tables in pinball x. When I go to table manager and click select my table show up is this the same XML?

How do I access the XML?

Archived