Pin2dmd.exe keyfile problem

tjc02002

Ok so this is not a big deal but I thought it was worth mentioning so it could be fixed in the future.

Sometimes when I use the Pin2dmd.exe tool to record dump files, it gives an error when I open the program that says key file not valid and displays a key that has a different first letter than the actual key file. So if my device key is Dxxxxxxx I get the error that says Cxxxxxxxx and the device displays the Cxxxxxxxx. If I reset the device  and start the program over it’s all good. 

Pics are of the device displaying properly in my game(with activated key file), and then showing the wrong key code when hooked to the computer and pin2dmd.exe open. The actual key file for this display is the same code as shown but the first letter is D not C. 

32CF28BC-0CBB-46DA-AE21-7227E59BC623.jpeg

91CA1519-AD27-46CD-B501-569694045D2D.jpeg

This is Uncle Sashs V3.4a shield and the stm32f407 discovery board. Firmware 2.51.

It doesn’t happen all the time and it also doesn’t always trigger the unit to show the wrong key, sometimes it’s just an error on the computer. Sometimes it works fine. 

Thx for fast reply as always lucky1, I will try it out tomorrow evening.

I have 3 sets now, 2 with v3, and 1 v4 (nucleo).

1 friend in the norwegian comunity asked me if i would build him 1, gonna send it of tomorrow, gues I send it with v4. :D Hes gonna use it in cirqus voltaire.

He just sold hes TAF..G with colordmd and want to give pin2dmd a shoot.

tjc02002, this is a Big deal. You play with friends, and suddenly it dont displays the scoore..... just a minutt, just gonna reset the display....

Tested it now, same issue. After playing  for a while, lcd displays "not activated", and the serial with C**** insted of D****. pops up

As mention, if reset the card in play, all god again.

I have tried with the keyfile permanent on sd-card, same issue.

• Content Provider

Which hardware is affected ? Both discovery shields ? Which devicemode do you use.

Any colorization installed on the SD ?

If it happens always after about 3 minutes there is something wrong with your key. 

Otherwise it is almost impossible to happen during gameplay.

As mention, its random... Instaled 2.55.. after 10-12 min the "display not activated" went up. After som reseting it has run for 3 houers now with no prob.

Have T2 with files from Malenko... dont know wath you mean by "Which hardware is affected "?

I think I tried without the colorfiles, with the same result... dont remember...

I haven’t had any issues with the “not activated” during normal play, only when I hook up a pc and open pin2dmd.exe tool. I have the one pictured above installed in my medieval madness and I have one in my T2 with malenko files but that one is uncle Sashs 3.0 shield I believe(with the signal enhancer jumper wire added). I also put one in my uncles Metallica which worked fine although I never hooked up a pc while it was in the game. I have a few more that I’ve helped friends build so I will ask them Monday when I see them at Pinball league night. I will try this new firmware today and try to replicate my error. Sounds like yours is a bit more severe. You should probably upload some pics of your setup here. 

Installed the update via microsd. Tried to replicate the problem but here is what I noticed:  I couldn’t get the display to show incorrect key and say “not activated” with the update but I could get the computer to display the error once in a while. The error didn’t cause any issues though, still opened program and worked. Something new I noticed now that I probably just didn’t notice before: when I have the game on and hooked to the computer, then open pin2dmd.exe program, the display switches palette(to white, blue, maroon). Then if I hit “reset device” in the pin2dmd.exe program, the display resets and has the correct palette(default palette in the pin2dmd.pal file). This is reproducible every time. Picture attached shows the intermittent error message on the computer but it doesn’t appear to cause any problems. 

2E75E67B-BB93-43C8-AA41-48AD93B71DE1.jpeg

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:21 AM, lucky1 said:

@tjc02002 could you please test this file ?

pin2dmd.upd

I tested this latest update. After installing the update on the same hardware, I could not replicate the error at all. After that I also swapped the STM with a different one which has 2.51 installed and I couldn't replicate the error with that either. Seems like there's something to do with specific STM controllers weather this may show up. It would be good if Corvus could test this update too because his problem is worse. Thanks lucky!

-Tom

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Did you update your pin2dmd.exe ?

I've copied the 14 files from the latest mapster.zip file on pin2dmd.com and replaced the files in my pin2dmd directory. 

I run pin2dmd.exe in the directory with my key file and now I get this:

image.png.cf26958f5e821d657276c341b1fa408b.png

any ideas?

Also I've updated my firmware to the version for  v3stm3f4-discovery from that same zip file and it worked for about 10 minutes before I ran into the key file issue from yesterday.

OK I've done the old have you tried un-plugging it and plugging it in again and that seems to have fixed it, go figure.

Archived