pin2dmd editor cant save as dat file

I have been trying to figure out how to save my project to upload to my pin2dmd, but am unable to. I watched the video about how to do it, and figured out the option is just missing in the newest version (1.0.25.0).  I have attached a screenshot, but going to "Save Project As" and then trying to change to a dat file gives me only the option for XML. Am I missing something?

2017-04-13.png

Yep, that's correct. The color data is stored in the pal file, replaced scenes or complex colorization is stored in the fsq file. Both are generated by "export project"

General settings can be configured directly within the device itself by entering the menu, or by starting pin2dmd.exe and configuring it there.

Dom

I have read the instructions (many many times thinking I have missed something), but they are very basic. I have also watched all the video's on steves youtube channel. I searched the forums to also get your info you gave about the 3 ways to change colors. Part of the problem I think is the editor/firmware changes, so the info given that I find doesn't match up with whats actually needed. In his video Steve talks about needing a pin2dmd.dat file for the scenes. Sounds like I actually need a pin2dmd.fsq file.

I'm doing this on a real WPC Fish Tales, so I am using a ColMask to colorize and get 16 colors. I found a scene I wanted, did mark start, went to the end did mark end and then cut. It gave me a new list under my animations. I then enabled colmask, and did colors with a couple new palettes. Saved the project. Exported the project, and only get a pal file, no fsq file. Am I doing something wrong? I have attached a pic that shows some of the things I have going on.

Last thing, Im occasionally having frame 0 in an animation replaced by a random other frame from a different animation. Once it happens, It appears to be stuck there.

I'm not a young kid wanting you to do all the work for me. Im a network admin that is more than comfortable with getting programs to work and have a little bit of experience with photo editing suites like photoshop and illustrator, just to give you some background on me and my general experience. I would say Im above average on my ability to figure things out and try to find an answer without posting. But I am stuck now and unsure where to go next. I am planning on writing everything down for other people when Im done. Its taken days of research to piece everything together of what I need so far.

Thanks guys.

fish tales.jpg

• Content Provider

You have not assigned any keyframes which are the "trigger point" for what you want to do. 
They keyframe is basically a checksum of the image or a part of it. Always use the dump data
to generate the checksum and make sure that not any dynamic or random content is in the picture (like the bubbles).
You can do that by using a combination of the subframe and the detection mask (Show Mask checkbox)
With the keyframe you either simply change the palette, replace the whole scene or add color content.
For replacement or colMask you have to choose the scene in the FrameSeq DropDown.

Start with a simple palette switch to get familiar with the keyframes and detection masks

OK, I think I get it now. I assumed that by cutting out the animation that was good enough. Sorry. Ill give it a shot this weekend hopefully and see if I can get it all sorted. I have 2 recordings and was able to create a mask that keyframes matched hashes on both dumps. So looks good so far. Unfortunately, I will have the kids this weekend, so time to play with this will be short. I will report back though. Thanks!

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, BrewNinja said:

OK, I think I get it now. I assumed that by cutting out the animation that was good enough. Sorry. Ill give it a shot this weekend hopefully and see if I can get it all sorted. I have 2 recordings and was able to create a mask that keyframes matched hashes on both dumps. So looks good so far. Unfortunately, I will have the kids this weekend, so time to play with this will be short. I will report back though. Thanks!

You are welcome !

Archived