Easiest way to get a file to edit in pin2DMD Editor

Ok so I am new to this, old and forgetfull and now take a lot longer to learn things. That does not mean I dont understand things. Its just that there des noe seem to be a master faq for pin2dmd (or a wiki lik kodi) I have been combing this site and the  pin2dmd.com site for days now trying to wade my way through the stuff and now trying to figure  out how to get a file to start editing. Let just say I have real pinball machine that I am trying to convert to color and just cant figure out why it so difficult when we have roms why we need to use vpmame ??? or whatever its called to "capture/dump" the video output? What so how do you know you "capture" all the screens? I read some about dll's etc and running vpmame..... holy crap! I am a old ex hacker from the 80's-90s, but nowadays well it just hurts! I'm just good for drinkin beer now! :) Maybe its the beer thats the problem.......

Here is one 

Best practice is to remove the playfield glass and throw the pinball to activate
the different modes and animations. That way you can get a complete recording of a gameplay from your pinball machine.

Is there not a more efficient way to get a dump file for editing from the real machine? What if you dont get all the scenes? How would I know? One would have to activate every level and scenario? I also read a thread by lucky1 on table and that just confused me even more.... now we are patching display roms using bsdiff WTF! I als read something about pinball browser and other apps will they do it? 

If anyone can point me to a bullet point step by step to get one workin in a real pin it would be great! 

Signed

Confused

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, ibjeepin said:

Is there not a more efficient way to get a dump file for editing from the real machine?

There is a simple answer - No !. The problem is that the ROM does not contain full images but only small parts of it (Sprites).
These parts get assembled dynamicly during gameplay. Since you need to color the gameplay and we are not able to
store additional color information in the ROM, I see no other way.

What so how do you know you "capture" all the screens?

You never know, but the good thing is you can add the scene you forgot later using the editor.
By the way even ColorDMD has some colorziations which are not finished completely.

I also read a thread by lucky1 on table and that just confused me even more.... now we are patching display roms using bsdiff WTF!

That is only working for modern SAM and Spike machines. Thanks to pinballbrowser we have the ability on these machines to store palette information  in the ROM and send these via serial port to pin2dmd.

Is there not a more efficient way to get a dump file for editing from the real machine?

If you have technically worked out another idea, let us know. 

Don't worry about getting all of the data at once. when you start playing around with the scenes on a particular machine, you will see that there are some very common scenes, just start with those. on scenes that are very uncommon, maybe you can just set a pallet switch(very simple but very limiting) rather than coloring the scene. I haven't actually completed a color project but I am working on Medieval Madness. I have started by just having a single color pallet(like an original DMD) and just coloring one scene at a time and trying it out on the pinball machine. I have 2 PIN2DMDs one next to my computer and the other in my MM. I just swap the SD card to test out my progress in the machine but use the one near my computer to actively see how it looks while I program it.

Archived