Openframe Solenoids (Zye1-0837Zp)

AndersE

I have looked at pictures and data on these yellow openframe solenoids it seems most people use.

But to me they seem to be very small and weak, far from a real pinball solenoid. Are they really enough to make a solid feedback level (not only the sound but the bump feeling in the cab)?

Or are the starter solenoids from cars better?

A lot of guys (including myself) use Siemens 24V Contactors. There are a number of models that will work. The problem is that they're pretty expensive. I was lucky and able to buy 8 of them used on eBay. They sound great and have a good solid "crack" against the cab.

Read this. http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=26379

Hope this helps.

Junky

Oh my god. Then plus shipping to sweden? No way i pay that.

Even carstarter solenoids are cheaper. I'll try those yellow ones.

I have seen videos where people put metalbrackets to "clack" against, but the yellow solenoids have their restingpoint out, not in? So how can it "clack" then? Or does the rod go out backways

through the coil also?

• 1 month later...

I got the solenoids now, and they are more than enough loud ;) I have them knocking at the sides now, but that is too loud so i will move them and have some dampeners on them.

Dampeners are needed at the rest side also, because the clack when energized, and clacks the same when going back to rest mode.

can you film or at least photo your final setup afterwards Anders?

I have the Siemens contactors (8 of them) but thinking of installing som yellow bastards

so I can have some different feedback in the cab. Have 6 of them bad boys in a bag under the cab on hold :D

yes i can do that. The way i have it now and get descent "pinball" sound is 3d printed ninjaflex dampeners at the rest position, and metallic cableclips on the hit side.

And with slightly different throw on each solenoid i get different sound on all solenoids. I mean a real pinball don't have exactly the same sound on all bumpers..

So some sound more metallic and some more muffled.

I don't know how the contactors work with dofconfigs droptarget settings, but these yellow solenoids work great with low droptarget settings.

hey there..i am very interested in how fast they react or even more how fast they react in terms of frequency.

fast bumper sequences seem to miss some beats with my "heavy" siemens solenoids. i somehow got around that using the combine toy dof feature.. but it may be even better with the above mentioned modell?!?

best regards.

• 1 month later...

They also have that problem. Too fast bumpers and they don't have enought time to hit. I Think it is fixable but slightly higher voltage and/or tweaking of the dof code.

How does combine toys work then? I haven't got a clue to what it does.

Archived