[New VP10 Alert] Defender (Williams 1982) VPW

Defender (Williams 1982) VPW

Landers, Mutants, and Bombs… Oh My!

The VPin Workshop presents the classic pinball from the late great Barry Oursler, based on the classic arcade game of the same name, DEFENDER. Once we tracked down the beautiful playfield and plastics scans of this rare machine, building the table from the ground up was inevitable (and fun). Defend those poor Humanoids from Landers and from becoming Mutants… Avoid the Baiters, destroy the Swarmers, and Warp yourself into victory!

Apophis - Project lead, scripting, Roth/nFozzy physics, Fleep sound effects, Flupper 3D inserts
Bord - 3D models and rendering
Uncle Paulie - VR Room
Jutsuka - Asset research and testing
G94 - Playfield and plastics scans
Scutters - FlexDMD Option
Primetime5k - Staged flipper updates
Cliffy - Desktop view updates
Jsm174 - Standalone updates
VPW Team - Testing

Version 1.3 Update Notes:

This release would not have been possible without the legacy of those who came before us. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I can't seem to change the overall lighting. It's overall slightly bright. Not like the ones pictured. The big circle on the playfield has inky blacks as does the other lights. The playfield feels like it has a 10% overlay making it brighter. It still looks good I was just hoping for more pools of dark areas. I'll attach an image that shows the dark circle that gets the inky blacks next to the light playfield.

I have tried these options in VPX 10.6

1. Slider Options for the table for day an night. They do not seem to change anything.
  2. Opening in interactive mode. I can only make the environment brighter there.
  3. Tapping the magna save, left CTL sometimes swaps out different modes on certain tables.
  4. Wiping out NVram.
  5. Looking through the script for any options. Nothing jumped out at me.

I feel like there is a dark mode or something in the script I'm missing. Can anyone help me? Surely it's something easy.

Defender-Lighting.jpg

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, goodtwist said:

Looks like that is just the path from where the images were imported. But still, I can't change the lighting of the playfield.

If you want, give this LUT a try, you might just like it :) If you need help on how to install it just say so 

SW LUT.png

On 7/3/2022 at 9:30 AM, studlygoorite said:

If you want, give this LUT a try, you might just like it :) If you need help on how to install it just say so 

SW LUT.png

Thanks for the LUT! I just found the thread on how to create and apply these. It looks straight forward.  Is this one you created, or a specific one that's floating around?

You can see from my screen grab above that the blacks are richer in the light/lamp voids. The play-field blacks are much lighter. It's kinda making me crazy since the day/night slider doesn't work at all for me.

I bet once I get it worked out I'll be spending a bunch of time reworking a few tables with a LUT.

This is the thread. But if I can't figure it out I'll comment back here. Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, goodtwist said:

Thanks for the LUT! I just found the thread on how to create and apply these. It looks straight forward.  Is this one you created, or a specific one that's floating around?

You can see from my screen grab above that the blacks are richer in the light/lamp voids. The play-field blacks are much lighter. It's kinda making me crazy since the day/night slider doesn't work at all for me.

I bet once I get it worked out I'll be spending a bunch of time reworking a few tables with a LUT.

This is the thread. But if I can't figure it out I'll comment back here. Thanks for the help!

No I did not create it, I exported it from a table I liked the look of and I try it out on any table that looks a little washed out on my system. Thanks for the link I did not know it existed and had already written up something for people. This link describes how to do it with 10.6 but I adjusted mine for 10.7......
How to install the LUT,
 Right click the table file and choose "edit" then click the "table tab" at the top and then "Image Manager" Then choose "Import" find the LUT (wherever you put it) and import it, click ok and close Image Manager and save. Then choose "toggle backglass view" just under "toolbar". Then on the right, look for the "Color Grading Lookup Table" it will show the LUT that is being used (if there is one), click the dropdown and choose SW LUT, then save. 

1 hour ago, studlygoorite said:

No I did not create it, I exported it from a table I liked the look of and I try it out on any table that looks a little washed out on my system. Thanks for the link I did not know it existed and had already written up something for people. This link describes how to do it with 10.6 but I adjusted mine for 10.7......
How to install the LUT,
 Right click the table file and choose "edit" then click the "table tab" at the top and then "Image Manager" Then choose "Import" find the LUT (wherever you put it) and import it, click ok and close Image Manager and save. Then choose "toggle backglass view" just under "toolbar". Then on the right, look for the "Color Grading Lookup Table" it will show the LUT that is being used (if there is one), click the dropdown and choose SW LUT, then save. 

Awesome. Thanks for the 10.7 specific details. I would have been confused. I'll let you know how it goes.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, studlygoorite said:

How to install the LUT,

The LUT image worked like a champ. I swapped out several only to come back to the one you gave me. Thanks! My only experience was with the LUT swappers with magna save. I feel like I learn something new every week with vpx! Thanks again!

• 11 months later...

ok. this is driving me nutso. I can't hide/disable the dmd on defender. 
F1. nope. doesn't show. f1 does nothing..
Script hidden = 1. nope.
right click b2s hide grill/dmd. nope.
what else. vpinmame setup.exe. nope. cause it was a default global setting and I don't want to do that. was hoping somehow could select individual rom there. nope. 

also, not in exclusive full screen mode.
I placed it in the middle of the playfield in this pic so everyone can see what I'm referencing.
see pic. please and thanks.

20230627_061057.jpg

4 hours ago, mikepmcs said:

ok. this is driving me nutso. I can't hide/disable the dmd on defender. 
F1. nope. doesn't show. f1 does nothing..
Script hidden = 1. nope.
right click b2s hide grill/dmd. nope.
what else. vpinmame setup.exe. nope. cause it was a default global setting and I don't want to do that. was hoping somehow could select individual rom there. nope. 

also, not in exclusive full screen mode.
I placed it in the middle of the playfield in this pic so everyone can see what I'm referencing.
see pic. please and thanks.

20230627_061057.jpg

when F1 doesn't work (yes there are many roms that won't respond to F1) you need to go to your vpinmame folder and run setup.exe, click Test and find the correct defender rom, click game options and there is your F1 menu. Deselect show dmd window and use external dmd.

1 hour ago, Cliffy said:

when F1 doesn't work (yes there are many roms that won't respond to F1) you need to go to your vpinmame folder and run setup.exe, click Test and find the correct defender rom, click game options and there is your F1 menu. Deselect show dmd window and use external dmd.

Test!  light bulb. lol.

Thanks, Cliff, I'm on it. 

I'll report back.

20 minutes ago, mikepmcs said:

Thank you, @Cliffy! it worked perfectly.

Not all heroes wear capes! Some even sell amazing Pinball Innovations that help you keep your expensive investment looking brand new forever. Contact @Cliffy for more info. LOL!

Your $5 advertisement fee coming shortly Mike- lol :P

• 3 months later...