[New VP10 Alert] Lord of the Rings Valinor Edition (Stern 2003) VPW

First of all, thank you for amazing work. It looks and plays amazingly.

Now, I have one issue - thing is that I have 2 VPinMame windows on a screen in a same time, one normal size and one about half of it.  Apart from visual issue, I cannot press END (I can press it but no reaction) in order to change music level in a game.

I am desktop user (laptop) with a a fresh install of Visual Pinball 7, one screen setup. It seems that all VPW tables are affected in a same way - surely this one and Indy table - this is what I have tested last night.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change something in a script?

• 7 months later...

Call Out sounds have static - Not sure if this is just this VPW version or all the LOTR.  Some call-out sounds by the characters etc have static towards the end of the sound bite regardless of the 8=9 key and +/- sound settings.   Have not built my cab yet and just working of 2 screen desktop version, but has this ever been addressed?  I did find pinside posting about the real machines having a similar issue....  Thanks anyone who can reply

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, woodsy15 said:

Call Out sounds have static - Not sure if this is just this VPW version or all the LOTR.  Some call-out sounds by the characters etc have static towards the end of the sound bite regardless of the 8=9 key and +/- sound settings.   Have not built my cab yet and just working of 2 screen desktop version, but has this ever been addressed?  I did find pinside posting about the real machines having a similar issue....  Thanks anyone who can reply

Yep, that's just part of the rom.  There are altsounds available, though I don't remember if they do the callouts.

14 hours ago, Wylte said:

Yep, that's just part of the rom.  There are altsounds available, though I don't remember if they do the callouts.

Holy quality control batman!  Weird stern would let something like that be released.  

Second question (sorry, been out of the scene for 8+ years and just returning now to build another cab)  

Ball Save on LOTR?  The END key does not bring up any menu on the DMD in game like others do.  Sounds like I should be looking Freeze Time but do not know how to invoke the menu to get to that?  other tables it was Ctrl keys but those are mapped to LUT changes.   Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Content Provider
On 2/4/2022 at 11:16 AM, Wylte said:

By attract sounds, do you mean the into narration?  That's not actually part of the rom so you might just have the rom volume off.  9 key to open the volume control, then 8 and 9 to adjust it.

And if that doesn't work:  in vpinmame make sure your rom has all the necessary sound files in the zip and that "use sound" is enabled.

@toddrussell  make sure you've turned up the ROM volume

Can the ROM default volume be upped in the scripting somehow? And/or variable set inside the script vs. operator menu only(?). I haven't dove into the code involving ROM file default levels, but it seems odd that the script couldn't set a balanced volume for this and it requires the user to do this on a table by table basis. If that's true, cool, I've learned something, but if there is a way to adjust the volumes at runtime via scripting a nd then let the user adjust these variables in the script that would be cool.  I realize the ROMS might present a different challenge than volumes for non-ROM sounds.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, toddrussell said:

Can the ROM default volume be upped in the scripting somehow? And/or variable set inside the script vs. operator menu only(?). I haven't dove into the code involving ROM file default levels, but it seems odd that the script couldn't set a balanced volume for this and it requires the user to do this on a table by table basis. If that's true, cool, I've learned something, but if there is a way to adjust the volumes at runtime via scripting a nd then let the user adjust these variables in the script that would be cool.  I realize the ROMS might present a different challenge than volumes for non-ROM sounds.

There are ways to force VPM-level config changes for a table, but none that I know of to adjust values within a ROM's NVRAM.  It would be a misguided effort anyway, as every system is different so forcing a certain volume would help some users and inconvenience others.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone solved the no sounds issue?  The surround sound works fine, there is just no music or call outs.  I have tried ROMS from multiple sources and tried raising the sound in the ROM.  It worked once and then stopped.  Only game I have issues with.  Thanks

Even when I set up altsound I get nothing.  

Edited by yoshi98bc

• 1 month later...

I've also got no sound. I redownloaded the rom from the stern site. It downloads as lotr.zip. I placed that in my rom folder. The rom works fine, except there's no sound. The rom settings are set to sound on, alt sound 0. The rom value in game is adjusted to 26. I can't figure out what's up. Could it have something to do with the pup pack? I downloaded the pup pack, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up for a two screen system. So, I left the pup pack out, though I did try it initially. For reference, my vpinmame is 3.6. Any help would be appreciated.

I downloaded the rom from VP forums as opposed to stern and that resolved the issue with the sound.

If anyone has a set up for the pup for a two screen set up, I would appreciate some help in that regard.

Edited by Shamusyeah

• 5 months later...

Hi,

In my setup the table has too loud mechanics and ball sounds. I understand there is the in game menu which can be accessed pressing both magna safe buttons.

Doing so I see all volume entries at Level 500 as default. If I use the menu functions to reduce the value to e.g. 50. sounds are ok ... however the values are reset on every restart of the table.

I see no option to save these settings.

Anyone has seen this or know how to fix the issue ?

Best Regards