[New VP10 Alert] The Goonies Never Say Die Pinball (VPW)

The Goonies Never Say Die Pinball (VPW)

"Don't you realize? The next time you see sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here."

The VPin Workshop members present The Goonies: Never Say Die Pinball! This project started out by adding physics and fleep sound to Hawkeyez88 pup-pack release.  In doing so many scripting issues were found in the original table.  We decided to not only fix the current table, but have added support for FlexDMD, new modes, ramps, shadows, playfield, sounds, ect.

Pretty much every piece of this table has been touched, enhanced, and tested.

This table is setup to work with the FlexDMD out of the box.  You can disable the FlexDMD and enable the pupPack created by Hawkeyez88 by changing the options in the script.

* Main table overhaul: fluffhead35, oqqsan
* nfozzy and fleep: fluffhead35
* DOF: apophis
* New playfield design: HauntFreaks
* Playfield, image and lighting updates: HauntFreaks
* Backglass: HauntFreaks
* Droptarget Shadows: HauntFreaks
* Miscellaneous fixes and tweaks: Entire VPW team inc. Sixtoe, apophis, wylte, fluffhead35, oqqsan, Nailbuster
* 3d Inserts: oqqsan
* flupperdomes : oqqsan
* FlexDMD : oqqsan
* Apron Primitives: oqqsan and Tomate
* Ramp Primitives: tomate
* New Toy Primitives Chester,coins,key: oqqsan
* Scoring and game play enhancements: Rik, apophis, oqqsan
* Testing: Rik, apophis, VPW team
* Bone Organ Primitives: Tomate
* Bone Organ Animations: oqqsan
* wylte: Flasher shadows on ramp
* Original pupdmd code: Nailbuster
* Previous DMD animations: VPFiends

This release would not have been possible without the legacy of those who came before us including, in this case, Javiers VPX version.

Thank you to Rothbauerw and nFozzy for the physics. Thanks to Fleep for sounds.

• 1 month later...

Relatively new to the Vpin world, but I've managed to figure a lot out.  Stumped by this one.  Finally got Goonies set up with pup back.  Was trying to figure out how to NOT use the backless so that I could see the pup back do it's thing.  When I removed the backless, I got an error every time I launched the table.  Somewhere in my messing with it, I managed to make the table first go into what looked like a night mode, then I somehow made it all black and white.  Figured I could just delete the table and re-install.  STILL black and white.  Would LOVE to know what I did!  The night-looking mode was actually really cool, I just couldn't figure out how to turn it off.  Then somehow the black an white thing happened.  Please help this newb.  I LOVE this table and want to get it back to where it was! 

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, jeffreco said:

Relatively new to the Vpin world, but I've managed to figure a lot out.  Stumped by this one.  Finally got Goonies set up with pup back.  Was trying to figure out how to NOT use the backless so that I could see the pup back do it's thing.  When I removed the backless, I got an error every time I launched the table.  Somewhere in my messing with it, I managed to make the table first go into what looked like a night mode, then I somehow made it all black and white.  Figured I could just delete the table and re-install.  STILL black and white.  Would LOVE to know what I did!  The night-looking mode was actually really cool, I just couldn't figure out how to turn it off.  Then somehow the black an white thing happened.  Please help this newb.  I LOVE this table and want to get it back to where it was! 

The colors are being made b&w etc. by the LUT, which you can change with the left Magna save key (default L Ctrl) in-game.  Check out the top of the script for various instructions and options, too.

4 hours ago, Wylte said:

The colors are being made b&w etc. by the LUT, which you can change with the left Magna save key (default L Ctrl) in-game.  Check out the top of the script for various instructions and options, too.

Thanks Wylte!  Is there a way to start fresh or reset?  I tried deleting and reinstalling the table, but the settings remained. 

Jeff 

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, jeffreco said:

Thanks Wylte!  Is there a way to start fresh or reset?  I tried deleting and reinstalling the table, but the settings remained. 

Jeff 

There's a set amount (15?) So you'll cycle back to the default eventually.  I suggest just finding one that suits your screen and eyes.

Your LUT choice is saved to a text file outside the table, so if you wanted to just hard reset you find that and delete it.  I'll edit this with the location when I have time to double-check.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:57 PM, Wylte said:

There's a set amount (15?) So you'll cycle back to the default eventually.  I suggest just finding one that suits your screen and eyes.

Your LUT choice is saved to a text file outside the table, so if you wanted to just hard reset you find that and delete it.  I'll edit this with the location when I have time to double-check.

Thanks of your help!  Got it!  Still haven't figured out how to get the backless out of the way when using the Pup pack.  Removed the b2s, but then it throws an error message when launching the table.  Sorry.....learning lots, but still a noob.....

• 1 month later...

Hi first of all I want to say you guys are Rock Starts the table quality is just fantastic. Now my problem is I cant load or edit the table I get an error 0x80030050 when trying to do anything with the table in VPX.

My install is baller installer. I have updated to 10.7 rev 310 but cant get past this error. Also reinstalled all C++ redistributables. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 4 months later...

Awesome table. Love it! Thank you. Question, I have a potentiometer plunger (z axis) that works with all other tables I've played except this one. Only way to launch the ball is to press enter on the keyboard. How do I get this table to work with my plunger?

• Content Provider

This table uses a Launch button, so you have to used the Enter key. Plunger not supported. If you look at the apron, there is no plunger or plunger spring visible. 

• 1 month later...

One of my favs. I did just notice something that maybe someone can help with. I have tried with other tables and it seems to only be this table that does it, but everytime I hit the coin button, it seems to insert 2 coins so I always have a 2 player game when I press start. Is there something Im missing? Is there a way of only one coin being inserted with the coin button. Again, this doesn't happen on any of my other tables, only this one. Thanks for any help. 

• Content Provider
13 hours ago, PsychoKiller said:

One of my favs. I did just notice something that maybe someone can help with. I have tried with other tables and it seems to only be this table that does it, but everytime I hit the coin button, it seems to insert 2 coins so I always have a 2 player game when I press start. Is there something Im missing? Is there a way of only one coin being inserted with the coin button. Again, this doesn't happen on any of my other tables, only this one. Thanks for any help. 

Is your coin button bound to multiple coin input keys, like 4 and 5?  Or are the VPX keys (I don't remember what they're referred to in VPX right now) both bound to the same keyboard input?  Goonies takes both inputs as 1 coin inserted, and has no delay like most ROM tables do.

• 6 months later...

I am having a problem getting the DMD to load with this table. Everything else appears to be loading fine.

I am running only two monitors. I have verified that my install of Visual Pinball included FlexDMD, and when opening the FlexDMDUI.exe I can see that everything looks fine there (all green check marks). I have the DMD folder that came with the DL inside the tables folder where the .vpx file is also located. DMD doesn't appear to be hidden, I think it isn't loading at all. Please help! Thank you!

4 hours ago, noremaC1337 said:

I am having a problem getting the DMD to load with this table. Everything else appears to be loading fine.

I am running only two monitors. I have verified that my install of Visual Pinball included FlexDMD, and when opening the FlexDMDUI.exe I can see that everything looks fine there (all green check marks). I have the DMD folder that came with the DL inside the tables folder where the .vpx file is also located. DMD doesn't appear to be hidden, I think it isn't loading at all. Please help! Thank you!

Are you using a loader for it? In other words, are you using Pinup player to load up your tables in VPX? If so, it could me that you have to go to the table in pinup player config and open games manager. From there, go to your game (Goonies) and to the right you see Keep Displays on. Type NONE in there. I noticed that some tables wont display the backglass/dmd unless NONE is put in that spot. You can also try right clicking on the backglass and telling it to force the backglass to the back so the dmd displays on top. 

2 hours ago, PsychoKiller said:

Are you using a loader for it? In other words, are you using Pinup player to load up your tables in VPX? If so, it could me that you have to go to the table in pinup player config and open games manager. From there, go to your game (Goonies) and to the right you see Keep Displays on. Type NONE in there. I noticed that some tables wont display the backglass/dmd unless NONE is put in that spot. You can also try right clicking on the backglass and telling it to force the backglass to the back so the dmd displays on top. 

Hey PsychoKiller, thanks for the respnose! I am not using any type of loader. I am simply going into the Visual Pinball X software, and choosing "File>Open" then choosing the Goonies table. I am using this same method to load a Batman Forever table, as well as a Star Wars Table (which was also released by VPW). I understand that the DMD is different for those tables compared to this Goonies one, but from what I can tell, I have all the software. I am only getting the glittery goonies back glass image and no DMD.

In response to your thought about forcing backglass image to the back, I have un checked the "force form to from" option, but there is no difference other than VPX editor stays in the foreground. I also noticed that there is no DMD application that is running on the task bar like with other games where you can clearly see the DMD is it's own application.

Thanks again for your help, and hopefully this new information may be able to guide you down another troubleshooting path to help me with this.

Ok, sorry. I use the pinup player loader and also puppack for goonies. I do remember when I was 2 screens I did have a problem displaying the dmd with this table, but again, I never just used VPX, I have always used Pinup player. Can I ask why you only use vpx and not a loader? Only ask because the loader pretty much sets up everything for you and works with vpx. 

If im not mistaken, you must have an older version of the backglass server. That option you said about the check marks are from an older version. It should give more options now like in one of the pics I am sharing. Here is the link to the newest version. https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass

Also, go into the script and see if you have the correct settings, this other pic I include shows im using flexDMD. 

Are you using the goonies puppack?

I also included a pic of my layout, playfield is sideways only because im remoting into my cab. 

Goonies Script.png

Backglass.png

Goonies Layout.png

Edited by PsychoKiller
Added Link

On 1/20/2023 at 11:34 PM, outhere said:

You have set to true in the table script

Const enableFlexDmd        = True

Thanks for the reply outhere. If I’m not mistaken, they clearly outline in the table notes that this is configured to work for flexdmd/set to true by default. So I don’t think this is the issue.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:43 PM, PsychoKiller said:

Ok, sorry. I use the pinup player loader and also puppack for goonies. I do remember when I was 2 screens I did have a problem displaying the dmd with this table, but again, I never just used VPX, I have always used Pinup player. Can I ask why you only use vpx and not a loader? Only ask because the loader pretty much sets up everything for you and works with vpx. 

If im not mistaken, you must have an older version of the backglass server. That option you said about the check marks are from an older version. It should give more options now like in one of the pics I am sharing. Here is the link to the newest version. https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass

Also, go into the script and see if you have the correct settings, this other pic I include shows im using flexDMD. 

I also included a pic of my layout, playfield is sideways only because im remoting into my cab. 

Goonies Script.png

Backglass.png

Goonies Layout.png

Psycho killer, I’m not using anything other than stock as I’m trying/learning as I go and don’t want to add any more variables to this equation at this time until I understand the basics and can then properly learn pinup popper front end and pup packs. As they stated in the release notes it should work stock with flexdmd. All the software for VPX full install (which included the flexdmd install) that I’ve downloaded is the latest from the visual pinball forum downloads page as of last week, however, I’ll try the install from the link your provided and report back. Thank you again for your time in assisting me.

Yeah, that's the only thing that I can think of because when I start the table in vpx without pinup player, it looks identical. I will say that things are pretty straight forward with Pinup Player. Very simple setup, and the newest install has everything you need. It allows you to move every window where you want them to show. So if you have a specific place you want the DMD to show, you move it there, save the settings and each DMD will show there. They did a very good job making it simple. Ill see if I can find anything else tomorrow that I might have missed. 

On 1/20/2023 at 11:43 PM, PsychoKiller said:

Goonies Script.png

Backglass.png

Goonies Layout.png

I did have an older version of the backglass server, got that updated on my end to what you are running and am on 1.4.0 just like your screen shot. Matched all the settings up like you have for backglass server, but nothing.

However, I don't think that this is a backglass server issue, as I always see the "Goonies never say die" backglass image. The check marks that I spoke about were specific to the FlexDMD application.

I am only running two screens, but based on your screen shots I am seeing the playfield (left image you posted) the back glass (center image you posted) and I have never seen the right image that you've posted. Just the play field and one backglass image.

I double checked my script for this table, and it looks like the code that you shared. Thank you for that.

Not that I want to go this route, but I realized I had pinup player installed (tried to get the Sterns Batman 66 to work), so I download the PUP pack and dropped it in my PinUpsystem>PUPVideos location (screenshot of that attached). However, I don't see any PUP action when I load this table. I can confirm that I at least see something when I load the Batman 66 table (although the score is the one thing that is missing from that configuration) but I at least know that PinUP player is working on this computer. Any other advice?

FlexDMDUI.JPG

PUP.JPG

I got this to work. After looking at the flow chart under the "architecture" section of his GitHub (found here: https://github.com/vbousquet/flexdmd), I found that I was missing the Freezy files. I downloaded the zip from here: https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions/releases/tag/v1.10.2 and extracted those files in my C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME directory, overwriting whatever may already have existed. After this, I opened the table, and the glorious DMD appeared shortly after. Thanks for everyone's help and responses. Truly appreciated. I also thank the authors of all this code and visuals for allowing hobbiests like me to enjoy this.

Very cool. Yeah, I was gonna ask you what option were you using for the puppack and also if you tried editing it. As for my layout, screen one is my playfield, screen 2 is my backglass and screen 3 is my fullDMD. That changes all the time and shows the videos, scores, etc. I love this table. Batman 66 is really good too, but Im not sure if you get everything the table offers with 2 screens. Dont know if you can have a backglass and FullDMD together on one screen but I would go with fulldmd over backglass if I had only 2 screens. Much nicer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 8:10 PM, gtxjoe said:

This table uses a Launch button, so you have to used the Enter key. Plunger not supported. If you look at the apron, there is no plunger or plunger spring visible. 

Hi, is there a way in the script to add the lockbarkey button to launch the ball ? thank you