[New VP10 Alert] Apollo 13 (Sega 1995) w VR Room

• Content Provider

Apollo 13 (Sega 1995) w VR Room

I Added the VR conversions to Apollo 13 last year (2020), the version of the table that was modified was done by Balater (Thanks for the permission to mod!), originally done by Herweh, Fransisco666, and 32assassin.  Over time several authors worked on the early versions of that table including, Thalamus, JP, DJRobX, Rothbauerw, Amgrim, ClarKent, Chucky87, agentEight6, and Bigus1. I also used the dark image from chucky87's backglass file and imported into the table for use in VR.  

That mod done in 2020 had several updates specifically for VR, and other light mods.  Sixtoe assisted at that time as well.  Also, Retro27 added a topper and a few other VR updates and  I animated the backglass for VR as well.  

Since that time I added several more updates, including nFozzy and Roth physics and flippers, Fleep sounds, several physics updates to the table, slings, and bumpers.  A few other modifications were done as well to the sounds, playfield, and other adjustments.  Thanks to Bord for posting tutorial videos.  Also thanks to the VPW team for their help and examples.  I also added dynamic shadows done by Iakki, Apophis, and Wylte.  

The latest update, Version 2.0, includes so many fixes and updates.  I've corrected the number of balls coming out of the rocket during multiball, as well as the rocket timing, and subway trough.  The ramp behind the moon now works for the orbiter and moon gravity missions, the trap door for the 8-ball lock is animated, fixed the slings, and added holes under the sling movements. Also the left spinner lane didn't send the ball into the upper saucer.  That is now corrected.  I've also added 16 switchable LUTs.

Then, several members from the VPW team jumped in and made this table so amazing.  What a great group!  Thank you all!

oqqsan: Added Flupper dome lights and flashers. Also fixed the ball stuttering when the moon rotated with the ball.
Tomate: created new ramps and textures (they look so real!)  Also wire ramps, posts, gates, apron, missing materials in some screws, and other stuff.
Skitso: redid the GI lighting, spot lights and inserts.  Also warmed the LUT a bit.
Sixtoe: Did some visual updates to the ball, moon, rocket, and plastic ramp
Apophis: Updated the playfield image for alpha cutouts for Lampz inserts.  Added Lampz code, and new inserts.  Updated some flipper nudge physics.  Corrected the triangularization dynamic shadow effects, removed the subway ball shadows, and lowered the number of dynamic sources.  
Sheltemke: Provided an updated translite image for the backglass.  It's now included in the VR version, and Wildman created a new b2s file.  Also, modified the text on the inserts to a text flasher to make it more readable.
RIK, Fluffhead35, Lumi, and Wylte all tested and provided feedback.
Wylte:  Updated the ball shadow code to not turn on when in subways, and other optimizations.  Also modified for better performance.  Separated dynamic and ambient ball shadow options, and added lockbar key as plunger alternative.

This table is a hybrid release, so it will work on desktop, cabinet, and VR.  

OPTIONS: 
Options can be selected in the script to change to desktop, cabinet, or VR mode.  For VR mode, there's an option for two different room environments, and to add a clock on the wall.  

Also... VR users... the Dynamic Shadows performance issue has been corrected.  However, if you still experience performance issues, you can turn off dynamic shadows or ambient shadows or both in the script.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy!  And thanks again to Balater, retro27, Sixtoe, oqqsan, tomate, skitso, apophis, sheltemke, RIK, Fluffhead35, Lumi, and Wylte, and the entire team of authors that have contributed to this table over time.  If I missed anyone in the credits, let me know, and I'll add, as I don't mean to miss anyone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Amazing table!! Looks great, plays great, though I am having one issue....it seems like the "BLASTOFF" letters on the playfield are not lighting up. The game seems to track the BLASTOFF letters correctly via the DMD so I am wondering if there's a way to get the playfield lights working as well? 

UPDATE - Fixed! I think I just needed to enable cab mode, though I did find some commented out BLASTOFF lamp lines that I uncommented in the script too.

Edited by tawm

• 1 month later...

How do you enable cabinet mode in the script?

OPTIONS: 

Options can be selected in the script to change to desktop, cabinet, or VR mode.  For VR mode, there's an option for two different room environments, and to add a clock on the wall.  

• Content Provider
On 2/25/2023 at 7:04 PM, kneefer said:

How do you enable cabinet mode in the script?

OPTIONS: 

You don't anymore.  Since VPX 10.72, I put code in the script to automatically select modes.  The table was originally released a year and a half ago, and at that time, you had to manually select it in the script (hence the original description).  In the change log for 2.1, I put in there that it auto-selects now ("- Auto cab/desktop/VR selection").  VPU descriptions usually are set when released, and when they are updated, the descriptions are updated in the change log.

Thank you UnclePaulie so much for your response. I was having an issue launching the game inside pinup popper. It worked  outside popper and I am on vpx 7.2. I thought possibly I needed to change from VR to cabinet mode within the script.  I just found a setting  in popper that tells each table which emulator to use to open it, it looks like this table specifically and a few others that are hybrids like the ones that you have created  default to  Vpx VR emulator. I just changed that to vpx on all those tables and they all load perfectly! Thank you for all your amazing work and for getting back to me. 

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone

I encounter a little problem on the table 

Vpx 10.8 rc1

Only issue I see is the digital LED numbers in the square at the rocket entrance. No numbers are showing, just a flashing light red square. Any ideas? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi every one !

I'm stuck with this new version : It freeze on the level selection at the begining, left or right flipper doesnt select anything ...
Any idea about a cause ?
(when I switch back to the older version, its OK)

I have the same issue, the table is not seeing my flippers for the level select at the start-up.  I'm using an ALP with a joystick, have no issues with the older version or other tables.  I'm running 10.8; tried it with 10.7.2 and had the same problem.  I also checked (I'm using joytokey) that my flippers were working before and after loading the table.