Star Gazer (Stern 1980)

Felsir

I'm working on Star Gazer. It will be my first scratch build table. After some experiments with the VPX editor, I think I'm ready for the real work. 

The artwork will be 4K, so I'm busy cleaning up and recreating the graphics in vector format. 

stargazer-wip01.png

Thank you! I am quite aware that this will take a lot of time 🙂 So far I am enjoying the ride. 

The vectorisation progress is done by hand- I have done a lot of arcade sideart in the past- but this one has quite a few intricate color and shapes in it. I hope I can get closte to the image I have in my mind for the final product.

For constructing the table, I'm a rookie, so I may have some questions or need advice along the trip. 

stargazer-wip02.png

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update- did some additional vector work, but my spare time is limited over the next few weeks. Did also some table tests in 10.7; so I'm slowly getting there...

stargazer-wip03.png

• 2 weeks later...

Playing around with the layout. Based on images from Pinside forum topic gallery I think I have the playfield layout done.

Large part of the girl is vectorised so I can vary the colors and style.

I want to provide the option in the script to have the authentic playfield or my own "remastered" version. Not sure how easy that probably means I need to flip a lot of texture references around.

Looking forward to hear some thoughts on this.

WIP-SG-playfield.thumb.png.4cf6508973308bd42f55032579a66820.png

Only way to change the playfield would be to make a mesh and change the texture for that mesh. playfield mesh is a thing, but, the current implementation doesn't really support swapping textures for it. It could be done by not putting the mesh at 0 height, but, there is this problem that mesh's physics isn't great in all cases. I've seen balls going the opposite way that you expect and odd things like that. It is probably better to consider making two versions, or provide a second image that can be used for those that know how to.