ProPinball (BigRaceUSA - FantasticJourney - Timeshock - TheWeb) with PinCabView

Hi,

I'm very pleased to share this work here because I love these 4 games for more than 20 years now!!

I didn't play them for years just because unfortunately they were made for 4:3 landscape screens and so they didn't run in pincabs until now...

So I made a full new ReShade shader and a launcher to make them working just as it should in our virtual pinball cabinets!

It took me many hours and days but the result is really amazing and even more when we think about that they are 20-25 years old games!!

Here how it looks now with the new 1.0 version :

Big-Race-USA.png

Fantastic-Journey.png

TheWeb.png

Timeshock.png

And in action :

Here the new patch, it will now set the games itself and display the backglass and export the DMD for these 4 old ProPinball Games

Download : https://www.mediafire.com/file/y3uw9102x9ya6a7/PinCabView_1.0.rar/file

////////////////////////////////////////////////////// PLEASE READ! /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PinCabView 1.0 by Aubrel(Houb)

I'm happy to release this patch! It will transforme completely some old PC pinball games and make them alive again in virtual pinball cabinets.

The main goal is to get a pincab camera view with exported DMD and backglass for the 4 old ProPinball games and for now they are nearly the only games to use with this patch.

But I wrote it to be able to add many others in the futur

The pack contains a self made launcher, a brand new Reshade's shader designed for pinball cabinets and dgVoodoo2. All of them are needed to work as expected.

The ProPinball games will be rotated to portrait mode and will run in your main screen desktop resolution with a Cabinet View, a backglass and the DMD exported.

You can launch them with your screen set in landscape or portrait mode: the result should be the very same.

(To run the game as usual after putting the patch, just rename ddraw.dll and you will be able to launch the game without any changes, just like it was before)

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Don't launch these old ProPinball games without the launcher, if you do that you will get only a single screen configuration (no backglass and no DMD export) and the specific settings won't be applied.

Don't change the "Custom" Reshade settings neither nor the dgVoodoo ones, it would most probably break everything

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

- By defaut the launcher will try to find the game exe. The 4 ProPinball games should be identified directly (gog and latest cd ones).

If needed you can force the exe name in Reshade.ini file "ExeName=MyGameEXE.exe" or by commande line "PinCabViewLauncher.exe MyGameEXE.exe".

- If you have a second screen, the backglass will be displayed on it.

* If your backglass screen is approx 4:3 (ratio < 1.5) the DMD will be put in the grill.

* If your backglass screen is approx 16:9 (ratio > 1.5) the grill will be cut and you will have to set the DMD size/position in ReShade.ini to match your needs.

(by default the DMD position is set at 1920,1080 (top left corner) for a size of 640x120 so if you don't have a real 3rd screen you can catch it also with DMDExt for example)

* If you have a 16:9 backglass screen and nothing for the DMD you can set "KeepTableDMD=1" in ReShade.ini to get it back on the table screen.

* if your 2nd monitor is only designed to the DMD and you don't have anything for the backglass, you can set "DMDOnly=1" and the DMD size/position as needed in ReShade.ini

- The launcher will try to define your BackGlass screen, if it fails (not displayed where it should) you can force your Backglass screen number with "BGScreenNbr" in ReShade.ini (you will have to set the true Window's screen number...)

- With BigRaceUSA, FantasticJourney and Timeshock the view will be forced to the 3rd, the DMD type, size and position too, an apron will be added, the best resolution 1600x1200 should be unlocked and used even if your machine don't support it.

If these games start up to the menu but fail when launched after the select screen, the 1200p patch is probably not working for you... No luck but you can set "No1200p=1" in ReShade.ini to use the 1280x1024 options instead.

- If the game is slow for your machine (yes it's possible!) you can try to disable a few visual improvements like "Filtering", "DisableMipmapping", "BilinearBlitStretch" in the DirectX section of dgVoodoo.conf

- You can acces some options in Reshade's UI using "home" key but most of them are set by the launcher and shouldn't be changed. You can still use it to set the brightness as you want!

How to use :

- Extract the full archive in your game directory (same directory as your main game exe)

- Remove the "run as administrator" and all the "compatibility" settings of the game exe (the GOG ones are full of these settings!..)

- For the 4 old ProPinball games use the launcher "PinCabViewLauncher.exe" included to launch your game

- For The Web, you will have to select and set the "1st view" and set the game options in the menu yourself  😛

- If needed set ReShade.ini "CabView" options as explain above depending on your configuration

- That's all, it should work

Side notes :

- The DMD of The Web is not removed from the table but for the rest it will be displayed and working nearly like the others PorPinball games.

- For the GOG version of Timeshock, you can use this custom Ogg Winmm.dll to make the BGM of this game working correctly : https://github.com/maximilien-noal/ogg-winmm/releases/tag/v18.09

- There is also a PinballFX3 config to get a better view with this game. It's set mostly for the 2nd view ingame in portrait mode (it will be better with most games, but not all of them were tested).

For PinballFX3 don't use the launcher! Just set the following "GENERAL" options in ReShade.ini and launch the game as usual :

CurrentPresetPath=.\CabView\Presets\PinballFX3.ini

PresetFiles=.\CabView\Presets\PinballFX3.ini

Info / Support : https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5494-propinball-bigrace-usa-fantastic-journey-timeshock-theweb-pc-with-pincabview-and-now-pinballfx3/

Thanks to Ducon2016 for the custom Reshade dll and the original PixelTest code taken in the amazing "CRTGeomMOD" shader

http://www.emuline.org/topic/1420-shader-crt-multifonction-kick-ass-looking-games/

ReShade home : https://reshade.me/

dgVoodoo2 home : http://dege.freeweb.hu/

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// THANK YOU FOR READING! /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Enjoy !!  :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I just updated the files (same link in the first post), now they run smoothly without trying to resize the desktop in the background.

I updated the readme too and I improved the backglass

Feel free to test and tell me what you think or report any problems.

I would be pleased to update again if necessary :)

I hope it will bring these games back to life in pincabs !!  🥰

• Like 1

As a bonus I added a config to get a nice PincabView with most PinballFX3 games :)

Post 1 edited

Edit : To complete the collection, a patch for The Web is now available ;) 

• Aubrel changed the title to ProPinball (BigRace USA - Fantastic Journey - Timeshock - TheWeb) PC with PincabView (And now PinballFX3!)
12 hours ago, LynnInDenver said:

So this does work with the GOG release of three of the four tables (I really want to track down The Web). Any way to change which monitor this thing goes to for my desktop?

You can do it in the dgVoodoo.conf by editing the lines 26 to 28 like that :

Adapters                             = 1   ; set the number of the graphic adapter to use
FullScreenOutput                     = 1   ; set here the number of the display screen you want to use  
FullScreenMode                       = true  ; the above setting works only in fullscreen mode

14 hours ago, Aubrel said:

You can do it in the dgVoodoo.conf by editing the lines 26 to 28 like that :

Adapters                             = 1   ; set the number of the graphic adapter to use
FullScreenOutput                     = 1   ; set here the number of the display screen you want to use  
FullScreenMode                       = true  ; the above setting works only in fullscreen mode

Yeah, that didn't give me much love on the desktop, it rendered the install of Fantastic Journey into a crash happy monster.

One thing I've noticed on my cabinet, I can get things working pretty solidly (and like all virtual pinball, I really do prefer to play it on the cabinet)... except PinUp Popper won't quit it and return to the menu when I press the 'Q' key, so I suspect that the Pro Pinball packages are intercepting the keypresses and not passing them on to other software. I don't know if there's a good fix for that, so at least for now I've made them invisible in the menu and will just play them from the Windows interface. It's working well enough we've ordered a copy of Pro Pinball- The Web off eBay and I'll see if I can get that working in some fashion.

I just uploaded new patches for these 4 ProPinball games (links above in the first post updated).

Now you can use them in portrait or landscape, the result should be the very same and you have nothing to do

With these new patches the games should allow you to use any resolutions in the options, it's safe, so use the best one for each of them.

(this resolution won't be used, the game will run in your desktop resolution but the result will be really better with the highest resolution available)

That's all, Enjoy 👍

Tested this with Fantastic Journey and Big Race today.  Excellent work!    Timeshock Ultra edition doesn't seem to have a perfect cabinet view either from what i've been able to work with.  Is there any possibilities for using the same thing there?

• Dazz featured this topic

I've updated the patch, I'm still working on it.

Now I can remove the DMD from the table and get in on the backglass :)

I should release the update soon.

I think it will be able to work with other games too :)

PS : about Timeshock Ultra we can reach this result with the original included cab option settings.

Image12.jpg

Not bad but the ball is very small on my cab (I have only a 27" as playfield)

Nice. i just installed Timeshock ultra today and finding an easy cabinet mode set up wasn't quick and I'm sure i missed something.  I've got backglass and DMD set but hadn't gotten the camera to show full instruction cards.  I'll keep digging now that i know it's possible.

Moving the DMD on the other three is amazing.  Can't wait!

On 7/23/2021 at 2:05 AM, Narc0lep5y said:

Moving the DMD on the other three is amazing.  Can't wait!

Ok so here the new patch with DMD export and many new things  (it has been rebuilt from scratch, so please remove the previious patch if you use them before)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PinCabView 1.0 by Aubrel(Houb)

I'm happy to release this patch. It will transforme completely some old PC pinball games and make them alive again in virtual pinball cabinets.
The main goal is to get a pincab camera view with exported DMD and backglass for the 4 old ProPinball games.

The pack contains a self made launcher, a brand new Reshade's shader and dgVoodoo2. All of them are needed to work as expected.

In any case the games will be rotated to portrait mode and will run in your main screen desktop resolution.
If you have a second screen, a backglass can be displayed and the DMD can be moved on it.
If you have a screen designed to the DMD, it can be sized and moved to match your settings.
You can use it directly with landscape or portrait configurations and the result will be the very same.
Most of the settings are automatized according to your desktop configuration.

By defaut the launcher will try to find the game. The 4 ProPinball games should be identified directly.
If needed you can force the exe name by commandeline or via the Reshade.ini file.

Using the launcher, the 4 ProPinball games should be set directly to work in pincabs with backglass and DMD exported.
The view will be forced, the DMD size and position too, the apron added, the best resolution should be unlocked and used even if your machine don't support it,...

Some features have been added, for example button 2 will switch the DMD color for Fantastic Journey :)

Don't try to launch the game without the launcher, if you do so you will get only a single screen configuration and the specific settings won't be applied.

Troubleshooting :

- 1600x1200 is forced for Timeshock, FantasticJourney and BigRaceUSA.
It should work but if it doesn't you can set No1200p in Reshade.ini to use 1280x1024 instead.

- If you don't have any backglass screen, but you are using your second screen only for DMD
You can set DMDOnly in Reshade.ini and you will be able to set its position ingame in Reshade's UI with home key.

- If you have a 16:9 Backglass and a 3rd screen for the DMD
You can set its size and position in the Reshade shader's UI ingame using home key.

How to use :
- Extract the full archive in your game directory (same directory as your main game exe)
- use the launcher included to launch your game
- That's all ;)

Info / Support : https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5494-propinball-bigrace-usa-fantastic-journey-timeshock-theweb-pc-with-pincabview-and-now-pinballfx3/

Thanks to Ducon2016 for the original PixelTest code taken in CRTGeomMOD
http://www.emuline.org/topic/1420-shader-crt-multifonction-kick-ass-looking-games/
ReShade home : https://reshade.me/
dgVoodoo2 home : http://dege.freeweb.hu/

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Download 1.0beta : https://www.mediafire.com/file/y62y5guz589i3wd/PinCabView_Launcher_1.0beta.rar/file

Update1: https://www.mediafire.com/file/dj7wvqrhsvte85f/PinCabView_Launcher_1.0beta1.rar/file

Enjoy :)

Small update to fix a strange but existing configuration

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dj7wvqrhsvte85f/PinCabView_Launcher_1.0beta1.rar/file

Now if you have a 2 screens cabinet with a 16:9 backglass (so without grill nor DMD) the DMD will be kept on the table as before.

It was something unexpected at first, for me 2 screens cabinet should have a 4:3 or 5:4 backglass...

With a 16:9 backglass I think you would need a DMD screen...

I did run into a problem with the install... I couldn't get the backglass to cooperate, it kept setting it to the same size settings as my playfield. I was able to keep it from overwriting the settings, but then I couldn't get it to put the backglass in the right place. Also, I couldn't seem to get the DMD to show up on the third screen.

Monitor configuration details: 2160x3840 monitor, backglass is 1366x768 in the standard position (right top), DMD is ALSO 1366x768 and tucked below the backglass (basically at 2160,768). I wonder if "playfield is portrait" is confusing it, or if it's my odd stacking arrangement of the other two.

this is not an update, everything has been redone from scratch, it's cleanner and more efficiant but YOU HAVE TO USE THE LAUNCHER :)

Without the launcher nothing will work :D

Also the only thing you should have to change for now is the DMD size and position in the reshade UI and ONLY  if you are using a 3rd screen for DMD.

All the rest is fully automatized so don't touch anything else for now.

BTW, I will change a few things to get it working better without the launcher but for now it's nearly not working at all without.

it's not how it should work...

The DMD should be removed from the table and you shouldn't have the table behind the DMD,

What you have here is nothing more than the first patch with DMDexet.

With the 1.0beta you should have something really better than that without having to do anything execept putting your DMD info in Reshade.

You are not using it has it should ;)

Contact me on discord and we will find the issue 👍

With a little back and forth, we got it working on my cab. Turns out to be the typical Windows shenanigans regarding logical screen numbers versus what they're numbered in the Display Settings.

IMG_20210726_164552527.thumb.jpg.66ae204a57b9f516e44b5a428f3376f0.jpg  IMG_20210726_165623308.thumb.jpg.1fbe6a3b389788b98d51902e649db2fe.jpg

I know what I'm planning on playing later.

And yes, I only plan on running the two for right now. I've had issues trying to get The Web working, so I'll stick with the VPX port, and I have the Barnstormers port of Timeshock already installed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Aubrel changed the title to ProPinball (BigRaceUSA - FantasticJourney - Timeshock - TheWeb) with PinCabView

Ok new patch 1.0 available: first post edited  :)

The beta I posted a few days ago wasn't working for most people... but now it should work as it should!

Please read the readme, it will help and avoid many issues ;)

Enjoy !!