[New VP10 Hybrid Alert] Maverick VPW (for VPX 10.7) (Data East 1994)

Maverick VPW (for VPX 10.7) (Data East 1994)

Ante Up! Welcome aboard the Lauren Belle for the release of Maverick from the VPW team!

This one is one of many peoples grails, with (as far as we know) no version since a vp9 one. We were lucky that someone supplied us with a lovely set of photos with which we could build a lovely playfield from so this could finally be a reality!

** Please use VPX 10.7 ** - This won't necessarily be normal for VPW, as it's caused more than a few issues, but we wanted to try it as an experiment.
** Make sure you have the latest VPX 10.7 build, 249 was broken. **

VR Options are all in the script.

'*** V-Pin Workshop Mavericks ***

Antisect - 99% of the table construction and work!

Edizzle - Donating  his script for the rotating wheel from his vp9 table and advice.

Tomate - Primitive ramps and flippers, primitive assistance

Sixtoe - VR Room & general fixes and tweaks

Apophis - Dynamic ball shadows, physics additions, scripting stuff, playfield cleanup and redrawing

Flupper - Ramp assistance and tutorial

Fluffhead35 - Wire rolling sounds.

Ebislit - Playfield alignment assistance.

Dark - Lauren Bell Boat Model

iaakki & daphishbowl - script assistance

Rik & VPW Team - Testing

The whole VPW Team, for their assistance and support.

'001 - 039 - Antisect - 99% of table completed.
'040 - Sixtoe - Added VR table and scripted in some bits and pieces, physics tweaked, loads of old and/or redundant script stripped out and things rescripted, redirected game load to de.vbs, fixed drop target bricking, adjusted kickback and plunger, should be more reliable? not sure how strong the plunger is supposed to be.
'041 - apophis - Added Wylte's RTX dynamic ball shadows. Removed old ball shadow stuff, Increased plunger strength and speed. Removed duplicate sound related functions.
'042 - apophis - Updated RTX BS to current version
'043 - fluffhead35 - Adding RampRoll Sound Loops, Added new RampSound Triggers to turn RampRolling on and Off on table
'044 - apophis - Fixed ball release bug. Added target bouncer, flipper rubberizer and coil rampup mods. Tweaked RTX shadows. Reduced skillshot autoplunger strength.
'045 - Sixtoe - Compressed some webp images, converted audio from wav to mp3 (cut 90meg off the file size),
'046 - apophis - Work around for ball release bug
'047 - Sixtoe - Bugfixes

'1.0.1 - Apophis - Positional sound calls added / updated (specifically for the VUK etc.)
'1.0.2 - Sixtoe - Flashers updated / tweaked, desktop room tweaked, plunger tweaked.
'1.1 - Sixtoe - Reverted all mp3's to wavs (should fix all audio issues, there is mp3 support in 10.7, but not for things like ball rolling etc.), Flashers updated / tweaked, Desktop background tweaked, Plunger speed tweaked (you should be able to make the skill shot more reliably now, Updated credits
'1.2 RC1 - Sixtoe - Flipper power adjusted and lowered and table gradient reduced (thanks Rik and Randy), plunger adjusted (thanks to Goldchicco & Rik)
'1.2 RC2 - apophis - Removed ball shadow z position dependency on ball z position.
'1.2 - Sixtoe - Final tweaks and tidying

I believe there is some kind of internal storage error for that file. Pressing OK it will continue, but, that sample is not there. To fix the table temporarily. (expecting a 1.01) Mark all sounds, export them all to a empty folder. Make sure that you've ticked 'Use Name Export' when you export. Now, mark all samples and delete them. Next import again the exported files. That fixes the error coming up each time. Still, you don't have that Motor.mp3 though. I expect that is for the boat ?!

I had that same ERROR and what I did is comment out the VR section towards the bottom of the table script
Save close restart VP run the game, But then the top part of the Game was missing so
Then I UnComment that section, Save close restart VP,  I no longer get the ERROR

• Content Provider

I'm getting some weird plunger behavior with this table. 

I can open the table, insert coins, and everything seems normal. My analog plunger works, pressing the launch button pulls the plunger back. Everything seems good.

Then I press start, a ball ejects and the plunger stops working. If I pull the analog plunger, the plunger on screen doesn't move. If I push my launch button, then the game quits.

I'm running 10.7 and have several other 10.7 tables working. Any idea what would cause this?

Uh. I was hoping to see someone else posting weird things happening.. But, I'm not so sure it is related to the table alone. Two days ago I played this and JP's, by then unreleased Deadpool. Plunger (enter key) and right flipper became kind of unresponsive or failing in periods on both these tables, but, then again, only ones I tried. Tried many things, booting etc. Been switching different vpx versions. I'm still kind of investigating, beta 228 is the default vpx, I'm having problems now figuring out where the issue was/is, as it is intermittent. Might be that I have a hardware issue, or that it is vpx being a jerk. At least, something to be aware of if many are seeing similar things.

4 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Uh. I was hoping to see someone else posting weird things happening.. But, I'm not so sure it is related to the table alone. Two days ago I played this and JP's, by then unreleased Deadpool. Plunger (enter key) and right flipper became kind of unresponsive or failing in periods on both these tables, but, then again, only ones I tried. Tried many things, booting etc. Been switching different vpx versions. I'm still kind of investigating, beta 128 is the default vpx, I'm having problems now figuring out where the issue was/is, as it is intermittent.

Yup heres my story.

Opened in 10.7....lots of errors...ok'd them all away.
Opened then it crashed
reboot - opened then it crashed. 
Rebooted - opened it , worked! but no SFX [flippers etc]
Rebooted it, opened it worked, every time.!! yaay!!
setup in popper...opened it...crashed... tried again.. it worked!!!
closed cab,
tried again later  with deadpool in popper which works every time.

Tried Maverick again......crashes popper every time....Weird indeed...

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Hmm. That is different. I don't see any errors. Have you updated the table to latest ? If your vpx is crashing, try the version I mention in the thread. The latest official beta (249) is what I consider, known - broken. https://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/7028-maverick-vpw-for-vpx-107-data-east-1994/?do=findComment&comment=4169

Thanks, I also wondered if my plunger issue could be related to my specific10.7 build.

I was running an older build of 10.7 (169 I think). I tried updating to the latest build. It didn't fix my Maverick plunger issue and seemed to introduce some new bugginess. I'll roll back to the version you suggested. But since my plunger issue was there in 169 and 249, I'm not optimistic that an in between version will fix it. But hopefully it'll eliminate some of the other bugs.

For the crashes, I would definitely would stay away from 249. But, it sounds to me that there is something else for the plunger. Hesitant to point my finger at this table though, are you sure it doesn't happen on other tables too ?

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, Thalamus said:

For the crashes, I would definitely would stay away from 249. But, it sounds to me that there is something else for the plunger. Hesitant to point my finger at this table though, are you sure it doesn't happen on other tables too ?

Positive. All my other tables (200+) are fine regardless of whether they use the analog plunger or the launch button.

Hmm. You mentioned trying different roms, but, not cleaning out the nvram or deleting the registry key for that rom ?! Not that I'm confident that it will solve it, but then again. I have never seen this happen before. Or, was it the 64 bit thing that you mentioned on the beta thread ?

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Thalamus said:

Hmm. You mentioned trying different roms, but, not cleaning out the nvram or deleting the registry key for that rom ?! Not that I'm confident that it will solve it, but then again. I have never seen this happen before. Or, was it the 64 bit thing that you mentioned on the beta thread ?

No, not the 64 bit thing. I had this problem first, then made the 64 bit mistake when trying to fix it.

I did try clearing nvram, but not the registry. I'll try that next.

• Content Provider

Deleting the registry entry for the table didn't fix it.

Sometimes when the table crashes, I see a script error that says "Line 1: Object not a collection." I think the error is showing up every time, but it's hidden behind the backglass or something. Pressing my launch button (enter) is like clicking "OK" on the script error, which is what triggers the table to close.