DMDExt Guide (for Future Pinball) by TerryRed

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 12:19 AM, TerryRed said:

UPDATE: changed commands to include quotes around [GAMENAME] so they should look like this:

start /min "" "dmdext.exe" mirror --source=futurepinball -q --fps 60 -d pindmd2 -g "[GAMENAME]" --use-ini="C:\vPinball\VisualPinball\VPinMAME\DmdDevice.ini"

All Pin2DMd, PinDMD, PinDMD2, PinDMD3 owners.... please let me know if the commands above work for you!

So, I should replace GAMENAME by PinballY that is my frontend?

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Terrada said:

So, I should replace GAMENAME by PinballY that is my frontend?

You would replace it with whatever PBY uses, yes.... but that command line is for Popper which uses BAT commands. I don't know how PBY today works.

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2022 at 4:26 PM, sgeist28 said:

Hi Terry hoping you can help me here.

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but I've gone through your instructions multiple times, but for some reason I cannot get the DMD position and size settings to save for FP tables.

Even though I clearly see the position and dimensions being saved in Dmddevice.ini.

Visual Pinball X and FX3 both are working perfectly.

I've attached both DmdDevice.ini and my FP launch script from Pinup Popper for reference.

If you have a chance, can you please review and let me know if you can identify where I might be going wrong?

DmdDevice.ini 14.87 kB · 17 downloads FP launch Script.txt 1.31 kB · 8 downloads

Hi there,

I too have this kind of problem where DMDEXT seems to load the dmddevice.ini file but not use the settings to place the DMD in the size and shape I want to use.  Even though I adjust the DMD settings and save them, the initial DMD size seems to be the default when it appears.

When I look at the launch script, I cannot reconcile the difference where DMDEXT uses the parameter "[GAMENAME]" but later in the script FPloader uses "[GAMEFULLNAME]".

I was wondering of those two parameters should match.

I am not seeing the DMD start in anything but the default size.

So, sgeist28, did you get your issue resolved?  if so, what worked for you.

And I hope TerryRed has made a full recovery .

- update 31 Oct

Tried changing the GAMEGULLNAME parameter to GAMENAME and did not see improvement in loading the proper size of the desired DMD

-update 3 Nov

I checked on GitHub for support of DMDEXT and it appears this sizing problem is with the program.  Someone else in March '22 already commented on this issue in multiple GitHub posts.

So until a developer changes DMDEXT, the sizing issue will be with us.

I was wondering about going back to an earlier version, like 1.8 of DMDEXT to see if the sizing problem started there.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

On 4/28/2023 at 12:18 PM, retroseriestv50 said:

Thanks for letting me know

Have you tried it?

->  Yes!

now you can save the position and remember it when you open the table again?

-> Yes!  Yes!!

What version should be downloaded for a typical installation?in the initial post Terryred advised not to use the 64-bit version

-> I used the " dmdext-v2.1.0-x64.zip"  file and the program is working on my Windows 10 64-bit cabinet.

pinball dmd 2.jpg

pinball dmd 3.jpg

pinball dmd 4.jpg

pinball dmd 5.jpg

pinball dmd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

DMDExt v2.2.0-BETA1 update

(dmdext-v2.2.0-x86-beta1.zip) on 32 bit Windows only!

(dmdext-v2.2.0-x64-beta1.zip) on 64 bit Windows only!

• download the x86 (32 bit) version at the DMDExt site if you have 32 bit Windows (DO NOT use the 64 bit version with FP)
  • download the x64 (64 bit) version at the DMDExt site if you have 64 bit Windows (DO NOT use the 32 bit version with FP)

You may need to click on Assets to see the file downloads for v2.2.0-BETA1

I have seen some problems running 32 bit dmdext.exe on 64 bit Windows. This normally should work, but some users (and myself) have reported crashing issues using the 32 bit (x86) version with FP. Everyone using a 64 bit Windows (should be mostly everyone by now).... try using the 64 bit dmdext.exe with FP

I have also updated the first post / guide to reflect changes of how best to use DMDExt with FP.

- use the newest 64 bit version of DMDExt on 64 bit Windows (don't use 32 bit x86 version)

- install dmdext.exe, DmdDevice.ini, OpenGL.dll in the main Future Pinball folder

- change your drive letter and path to where your FP folder is (where we now have dmdext.exe installed for FP)

- use a simple dmdext.exe command that will use DmdDevice.ini in the FP folder

- all dmdext settings for FP are now configured in DmdDevice.ini (this includes virtual dmd, and real dmds)

FP and BAM Essentials AIO

I have also included DMDExt 2.2.0-Beta1 files (only those used for FP) in the "FP and BAM Essentials AIO.zip" file

https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/14807-future-pinball-and-bam-essentials-all-in-one/

• Content Provider

I updated my DMDExt page!

• all DMDExt files needed are now included with the new FP and BAM Essentials AIO package (1.2 or higher)
  • this includes a new DMDExt_FP.BAT file that makes it easy to setup and use DMDExt with FP!
  • DMDExt_FP.BAT can be used to manually run DMDExt on its own (without a front-end)
  • use DMDExt_FP.BAT to run DMDExt to setup the global settings for size / position of the DMD window (if using virtual DMD)
  • Popper examples have been updated
  • Baller Installer examples (recommended for Popper users) has been updated on my Baller Installer FP Tips page

Everyone, PLEASE make sure you are using the updated DMDExt files I include with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO 1.2 package and use the updated Popper examples for FP on the Baller Installer FP tips page if you don't already have a working setup with DMDExt and FP!

• Content Provider

DMDExt with Future Pinball mega video and tutorial

Seeing all the struggles some people are having trying to understand how to use DMDExt with FP, how BAT files work, how command line apps work, and how Popper's launch script works... I had to do something.

This video covers:

- what a PinEvent Lite table is

- what DMDExt is

- what DMDExt's features are

- why you need DMDExt for PinEvent Lite tables on a cabinet (or for normal FP tables)

- what is needed to use DMDExt with FP easily

- how to get it working with a front-end easily

- how to change settings / position "per table" (using a front-end)

- how annoyed I get when I make the same dumb mistake in a video over and over

- how "I'm doing it LIVE!" because the power kept going out!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 5:00 AM, TerryRed said:

DMDExt with Future Pinball mega video and tutorial

Seeing all the struggles some people are having trying to understand how to use DMDExt with FP, how BAT files work, how command line apps work, and how Popper's launch script works... I had to do something.

This video covers:

- what a PinEvent Lite table is

- what DMDExt is

- what DMDExt's features are

- why you need DMDExt for PinEvent Lite tables on a cabinet (or for normal FP tables)

- what is needed to use DMDExt with FP easily

- how to get it working with a front-end easily

- how to change settings / position "per table" (using a front-end)

- how annoyed I get when I make the same dumb mistake in a video over and over

- how "I'm doing it LIVE!" because the power kept going out!

Hello Terry, I have installed the files so far and also get the DMD from FP displayed in a virtual DMD, but this DMD is not transferred to my Pin2DMD. I adjusted the ini but without success. Do you or someone else have experience how to get the DMD displayed on the Pin2DMD? I use PinUpPopper Frontend and the start sequence contains the following text

Rem :Enable FP Backglass and Arcade Mode

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer" /v "ArcadeMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer" /v "SecondMonitorEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Rem :Disable FP Backglass and Arcade Mode if "Custom Launch Param" = PinEvent

if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer" /v "ArcadeMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f)
if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer" /v "SecondMonitorEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f)

Rem :If you use DOFLinx, Remove >rem< from the next 2 Lines) and Add **PinEvent** to **Custom Launch Param** in Game Manager
REM :if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (cd /d "C:\directoutput")
REM :if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (DOFLinxMsg "PROCESSES=")

Rem :Run DMDExt only if "Custom Var #2" DOES NOT = NO_DMDExt

if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (c:)
if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (cd "C:\Future Pinball")
if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (start /min "" "dmdext.exe" mirror --source=futurepinball -q --virtual-stay-on-top --fps 60 -g "[GAMENAME]" --use-ini="C:\Future Pinball\DmdDevice.ini")
if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (timeout /t 1)

Rem :Launch Future Pinball

START "" "[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe" 10 5 60 "BSP Software*"
START "" "[DIREMU]\FPLoader.exe" /open "[GAMEFULLNAME]" /play /exit /arcaderender /STAYINRAM

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, JimBeamer said:

Hello Terry, I have installed the files so far and also get the DMD from FP displayed in a virtual DMD, but this DMD is not transferred to my Pin2DMD. I adjusted the ini but without success. Do you or someone else have experience how to get the DMD displayed on the Pin2DMD? I use PinUpPopper Frontend and the start sequence contains the following text

Rem :Enable FP Backglass and Arcade Mode

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer" /v "ArcadeMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer" /v "SecondMonitorEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Rem :Disable FP Backglass and Arcade Mode if "Custom Launch Param" = PinEvent

if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer" /v "ArcadeMode" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f)
if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Future Pinball\GamePlayer" /v "SecondMonitorEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f)

Rem :If you use DOFLinx, Remove >rem< from the next 2 Lines) and Add **PinEvent** to **Custom Launch Param** in Game Manager
REM :if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (cd /d "C:\directoutput")
REM :if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (DOFLinxMsg "PROCESSES=")

Rem :Run DMDExt only if "Custom Var #2" DOES NOT = NO_DMDExt

if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (c:)
if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (cd "C:\Future Pinball")
if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (start /min "" "dmdext.exe" mirror --source=futurepinball -q --virtual-stay-on-top --fps 60 -g "[GAMENAME]" --use-ini="C:\Future Pinball\DmdDevice.ini")

Rem :Launch Future Pinball

START "" "[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe" 10 5 60 "BSP Software*"
START "" "[DIREMU]\FPLoader.exe" /open "[GAMEFULLNAME]" /play /exit /arcaderender /STAYINRAM

Try following my DMDext video tutorial using the BAT file to test outside of a front-end. Be sure you can get that to work first. You can also copy over the file to enable logging when running the BAT file that may give you some information if there is a problem with DMDext not being able to work with your real DMD somehow. Get it working outside a front-end for testing first before worrying about a front-end.

1 hour ago, TerryRed said:

Try following my DMDext video tutorial using the BAT file to test outside of a front-end. Be sure you can get that to work first. You can also copy over the file to enable logging when running the BAT file that may give you some information if there is a problem with DMDext not being able to work with your real DMD somehow. Get it working outside a front-end for testing first before worrying about a front-end.

I was able to solve the problem. I had to change the USB driver for the Pin2DMD card and it worked. You can find more information on this page

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

I spent a few hours and got the PinEvent 2.0 setup for my Future Pinball, and everything is working as it should...  I have only one thing I can't seem to fix though and that's the DMDExt screen loads before the Poper Backglass screen and as such appears behind it when the table finishes loading.

I changed the "stayontop = true" option in the FP folders DmdDevice.ini but it still appears behind the PopUp Backglass.   Can you recommend anything I can try to fix this as I have to manually Alt Tab the DMD screen to the front of the Poper Backglass to play...

The PinupPoper FP Emulator Starup Script is using the "--virtual-stay-on-top" command when running dmdext.exe so I am not sure what to try next....

Thanks in advance :)

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, Pookamoondo said:

Hi Terry,

I spent a few hours and got the PinEvent 2.0 setup for my Future Pinball, and everything is working as it should...  I have only one thing I can't seem to fix though and that's the DMDExt screen loads before the Poper Backglass screen and as such appears behind it when the table finishes loading.

I changed the "stayontop = true" option in the FP folders DmdDevice.ini but it still appears behind the PopUp Backglass.   Can you recommend anything I can try to fix this as I have to manually Alt Tab the DMD screen to the front of the Poper Backglass to play...

The PinupPoper FP Emulator Starup Script is using the "--virtual-stay-on-top" command when running dmdext.exe so I am not sure what to try next....

Thanks in advance :)

Be sure you are disabling the FP Backbox and Arcade mode.

If the table is using a pup-pack... try copying the images the pup-pack uses (from PUPAlphas folder) to the Backglass folder, and then edit the pup-pack to use the image in that Backglass folder instead (using the pup-pack editor). Be sure Screen 2 is set to ForceBack.

Some LITE pup-packs had the backglass image set in PUPAlphas, which for some people prevented DMDext from appearing on top.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:49 PM, TerryRed said:

If the table is using a pup-pack... try copying the images the pup-pack uses (from PUPAlphas folder) to the Backglass folder, and then edit the pup-pack to use the image in that Backglass folder instead (using the pup-pack editor). Be sure Screen 2 is set to ForceBack.

Some LITE pup-packs had the backglass image set in PUPAlphas, which for some people prevented DMDext from appearing on top.

I'll give this a go and let you know how I get on... thank you for the help :)

Hi, glad to see Future Pinball tables are very popular this last weeks. Thanks to all the people like @TerryRed working hard and sharing these jewels.

Question about Future Pinball (last version installed with AIO 1.2) and Pin2DMD EVO 128x32 (Firmware 4.50).

All the tables I installed (the 12 Pinevent ones) runs very well except the real DMD that only displays red color.
For example Aliens Legacy DMD display is green but mine remains red, all tables have red display.
I tried to add this to my DMDdevice.ini :

[Aliens Legacy or wathever I called this great table]

pin2dmd style = green

But it doesn't work.

I also tried something like without more result :

[Aliens Legacy or wathever I called this great table]

red = 50

green = 200

blue = 100

I tried DMDext.exe in admin mode but then I had no display at all.

When I try to display both of the DMD (virtual and real one) you can see on the picture that the virtual is green... I'm wondering why the pin 2DMD (that is mirroring the virtual one according to my pinup script) remains red.
Please note I have no problem with vpx (color DMD with pac, crz, vni/pal...) and with Pinball FX3 using PupDMDControl.

Please note that from time to time I have some odd display with Future Pinball (for example with Jaws displaying the high scores not correctly), I read it was because my Windows is not in english language. Could it be the reason I have only red color ?

Sorry for the long message I tried to be accurate to discribe my issue. Thanks for your help ! 👏👍For information this is my pin-up launch script :

@echo off

rem Enable FP Backglass and Arcade Mode

rem Disable FP Backglass and Arcade Mode if "Custom Launch Param" = PinEvent

rem Close DOFLinx if "Custom Launch Param" = PinEvent

if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (taskkill /f /im "doflinx.exe")

if "[custom1]"=="PinEvent" (timeout /t 2)

rem Run DMDExt from the FP folder only if "Custom Var #2" DOES NOT = NO_DMDExt

if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (CD /d "[DIREMU]")

if NOT "[custom2]"=="NO_DMDExt" (start /min "" "dmdext.exe" mirror -s futurepinball -g "[GAMENAME]" --use-ini="DmdDevice.ini")

rem Launch Future Pinball

START "" "[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe" 10 5 150 "BSP Software*"

START "" "[DIREMU]\BAM\FPLoader.exe" /open "[GAMEFULLNAME]" /play /exit /arcaderender /STAYINRAM

365110525_10219921204174156_8591146724857229442_n.jpg

362981571_10219920571238333_4916664510531472007_n.jpg

363420511_10219925249675291_823692441864522352_n.jpg

Edited by Dicentim

• TerryRed changed the title to DMDExt Guide (for Future Pinball) by TerryRed
  • Content Provider

This guide is now completely updated and renamed as the DMDExt Guide (for Future Pinball)

- I now have all my guides and tutorials in PDF format
- this new guide has been created to be used with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package
- all my guides and tutorials are now only included with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package

You can download the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package (and DMDExt Guide) here:

https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/14807-future-pinball-and-bam-essentials-all-in-one-complete/

A video tutorial that walks you through this guide can be seen here:

00:00 Start
01:25 DMDExt - What does it do?
03:14 Guide walkthrough
06:50 How to run DMDExt with FP
08:00 Copy dmddevice.ini to FP folder
09:04 dmddevice.ini settings
11:46 Run DMDExt - set it's position and size
13:16 Styles - window and settings (always appears on PF screen)
16:15 Test DMDExt with Sonic Pinball Mania
17:52 FP must be run in windowed mode to access Styles window
18:34 Test different Styles presets
22:22 Run FP and DMDExt with BAT file
23:45 Setup Popper to run DMDExt
31:04 Test launching FP table and DMDExt from Popper
33:03 Closing

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2023 at 2:49 PM, TerryRed said:

'Arcade mode' disturbed my system when I wrongly reconfigured it after last update (PinEvent V2 - FizX 3.3): DMD appears but doesn't capture any frame form Future Pinball.

Now 'Arcade mode' is disabled and DMD works again like a charm: DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD!!!

THANKS, it rocks!!!