Welcome home VPinball Refugees

• Content Provider

I just want to make it clear that I had nothing to do with making this site happen.  I realized that looking back my initial post makes it look like I am welcoming people to the site.  I am not.  I am just happy to be “welcomed” here and encourage VPB guys to come here.  All praise to the mighty @dazz and @wildman and all others who made this site what it is 

• Content Provider
On 4/2/2021 at 4:16 PM, Thalamus said:

It would be better if people bought their own account on Spesoft and uploaded the wheels via ftp there. I almost went stir crazy from having to approve single wheels from every newbie that didn't know where to find joey's and other collection. My advice @Dazz - Don't make it into a category for upload. There is enough wheels around already and easily available too.

...and Popper users can use Media Manager to get them.

.... or wheel and media creators can make a central post to update their collection of their created media in one place using MEGA or something else. No need to have it all posted on downloads... 

...OR if posting media as a download... only allow one download post that links to their mega. this gives them control over their content, and no need to create / approve multiple uploads.

Stuff from Rajo and AWalsh are good examples of guys who can do things like this.

• Content Provider

I know I've posted this elsewhere a couple of times...but it applies nicely here.

I have my own opinions on things... but simply put... you gotta do this stuff because you love it for "yourself".

There has always been those out there who are shitty people that try to sell other people's stuff they got for free,etc. Always will be. Anyone in the hobby old or new who thinks this is new is kidding themselves. Yes, don't support it... but get on with life and do what you love. Don't let the ass-hats win.

Every author out there got something from this hobby from someone else to benefit themselves in either creation of the tables they make, or the tables they play made from someone else. I have never EVER understood the mindset of "take my ball and go home" from authors who pull all their stuff from all the "community" sites. With that attitude, you may as well delete everything vp related on your HDD at home by "principle".

This is NOT the same as VPinball closing down (totally understand the reasons for that). We have plenty of great VP and FP sites we can collaborate on. Grow the hell up boys and girls.

I'll also point out.... you have never ever seen the VPX devs or NailBuster or mjr or freezy or ravarcade, DJRobX, etc have attitudes like this. They don't complain or create drama or pull their stuff out of protest. They do what they love and work with everyone. No complaints. Great examples.

If an author is "done" with the hobby...sure that's fine ...but pulling all your stuff from the sites is toddler like. Unless there were serious reasons they needed to we don't know about... then let your work be enjoyed by the "community" of your peers for years to come... not just the Torrent leechers who will be the only ones sharing it now.

Now if you excuse me, I'll go back to getting my content uploaded to all the vp "community" sites I can (like I always tried to do), so everyone can enjoy it. Then I'm back to work on RetroFlair 2. No sulking or feet stomping here.

...and again... thanks to Dazz and another veteran of the hobby that has stuck around and provided another great place for content creators to hang out and benefit from each other's expertise and friend ship.

Just came across this post.  Good to see you guys all in one place again.  I'm going to have to familiarize myself with VPU so I can bounce around quickly like I did at vpinball.   Loserman, I made it up to the G's when I took a break.  I couldn't imagine uploading all those tables only to have it gone.  I bitch when I upload one thing let alone all those tables! I read somewhere we all need to get in the habit of thanking and liking peoples work when they release it, and I know I'm guilty of not doing this.  So moving forward I'm going to make it a point to thank and like before download.  It goes without saying, I appreciate all the work you guys do, and it's good to have a new home! 

• Content Provider
8 minutes ago, roccodimarco said:

Just came across this post.  Good to see you guys all in one place again.  I'm going to have to familiarize myself with VPU so I can bounce around quickly like I did at vpinball.   Loserman, I made it up to the G's when I took a break.  I couldn't imagine uploading all those tables only to have it gone.  I bitch when I upload one thing let alone all those tables! I read somewhere we all need to get in the habit of thanking and liking peoples work when they release it, and I know I'm guilty of not doing this.  So moving forward I'm going to make it a point to thank and like before download.  It goes without saying, I appreciate all the work you guys do, and it's good to have a new home! 

I too am guilty of this.  Sorry to everyone for downloading something you've done and not took the time to thank you properly.  After all that has happened and still going on...I feel really bad about this.  It will never happen again.  Thanks!

• Content Provider

@TerryRedwell said sir.  I agree 100% with mostly all but 1 thing.  I have supported Randr every second I could.  He built the greatest site in my opinion and made it a very comfortable environment, with the help of all the moderators.  He started the site, he pays for the site, he helped build the site, but everyone who contributed made the site what it was.  Hell the motto even said that.  How does he have the right to just take it away then?  There was tons of work, tutorials, laughs, arguments.... that are now locked up and put away because he just didn’t want to do it anymore.  And when I talked to him, he sounded like he won’t hand over the reigns to anyone else because he doesn’t want to lose what he built.  Why can’t he just leave the forum section open then.  No one is abusing that????.  If it’s a matter of money then let us pay for it like Dazz is doing, but he is totally against that, as he told me.  So I kinda think he is doing exactly what we agree that the table authors are doing where they take their shit and run, but on a HUGE level!!!!!!!!!!!

• Content Provider

My response was more directed to authors than vpinball (which is why i clarified that).

randr has every right to take down his own site as does anyone. It's not the first time this has happened. A site is no where near the same thing as posting a table file for people to download. I wouldn't want to deal with what it entails myself...ever. I was a Moderator and heavy contributor (50+ uploads alone...let alone the crap load of tutorials).

Not letting contributors have access to their own submitted content / tutorials and everything "they" built on that site is wrong though, and I agree is a big no no. 

If anything though... it has taught me to keep my own content and creations... particularly tutorials / PinEvent installs... created in separate doc / pdf files... instead of relying on "posting" them in a topic and only accessible on a forum. Instead I will rely more on attaching PDFs of my tutorials that I post. I'm not going through remaking all this shit AGAIN for a 3rd time because one site shuts down, or if a site can't be accessed then no one has access to essential info, or remaking them for multiple site's different formatting.

• Content Provider

I only had 13 tables to repost But I wasn’t going to go through and write up a full write up on every table like I did the first time. I can’t imagine redoing everything that you had. That’s why I don’t understand why it would hurt to keep the form open itself

• Content Provider

With everything going on, I too feel like taking a step back and that’s bad because I was all ready to get back going after my cab rebuild.... ugh

but I do have one person to blame for my lack of interest.. @bord, you got me watching rescue and restore and the first thing I saw was a 1960s Duncan parking meter restore.  Well as of the last 3 days I have 4 now.  Found a sweet double one for $40 on FB, a cool Art Deco one for $35, and another single Duncan for $20 and the finale, a 1940s Duncan for $25 worth about $200.  I am hooked and in full resto mode.  With all these parking meter timers running it sounds like Doc browns lab in here.

I am also restoring a wall box jukebox and finishing up on the magic city and nudge it I bought.  Missed out on a $600 working Firepower the other day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D083EBBA-FBD8-40AD-815C-FC39999E8966.jpeg

D4430403-9489-4D84-AB0D-084C7D1516CF.jpeg

72FB90B9-4793-4AFD-9A94-153E1D2D65ED.jpeg

BFECE04A-774E-4493-807D-6ED99CF076E5.jpeg

963405A1-58BE-4321-9430-9807C56633A7.jpeg

1DCA0BB2-0A00-4DC1-9D44-8DCDAAB8C80B.jpeg

DA277C7E-2555-4D3F-BEC7-6589F27B8AF3.jpeg

45 minutes ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

Parking meters have become a huge collectible in the last few years like gas pumps and signs

here is a link to the guys Bord got me into.  Very cool stuff here

Man, some cool meters you've got! I especially love the last one, silver with the round head.

Rescue and Restore is the best restore channel on YT bar none. So inspiring and also so strangely soothing to watch. My wife falls asleep whenever the kids and I turn one on.

• Content Provider

Oddly enough that is the most common of all of them.  @bordyou need to get FB just for marketplace and to send Thalamus messages randomly because he hates FB but still answers them, lol.   I have found some really cool deals lately.  I am so glad to be back up north where there is a deep culture and history in places like Chicago, St. Louis, pittsburgh and let’s not forget Youngstown!

Wow, those are yours Tom?  ...and the restore pics, bad shoes and all?  

That's some cool stuff.  

I've had my eye on acquiring an ECO Tireflator... but in good condition they are stupid $.  Spotted one at  this cool place along a bikeway near me a while back and thought it would be a neat feature to bring to my bike shop.  If you ever spot one that's roached let me know.    that red one is on ebay for $3,500 right now.  Oof.  

MD1.png

TF1.jpg

• Content Provider

@JFR1 no the restored ones are not mine but those 4 are gonna get the rockstar treatment. I will keep an eye out for you

I am taking my bike in next week for an overhaul.  My de-railers are all jacked up and I’m gettin knee surgery Thursday so won’t need it for a bit.  But living on Rock Island here in Illinois, there are so many bike paths and the family and I have been getting out a lot.  My 2 little girls ,8 and 10 are really starting to love riding.

3 stones lighter.  I like that.  After this past year I need to drop a stone or two.

My band is thinking of using a new name after this long lay-off.  '3 Stones Lighter' is going in the hopper.

• Content Provider

@ARMYAVIATION I think all of us have other hobbies besides virtual pinball.  I also do model railroading...I restore and collect Edison Diamond Disc players and records...and I also restore EM pinball machines.  I've stepped back from VP  before and float between them.

Oh....I forgot to add....I love that YouTube channel too!

Edited by jino0372
forgot to add something