Welcome home VPinball Refugees

@mrorange  @ARMYAVIATION

Honestly I understand both sides of the coin on this one. I kind of like the idea of invite only but if that was the case a year ago I might of never got to where I am. I've built 3 tables with Tom and made a pretty solid friend I talk to a few times a week, both completely unexpected when I got into this hobby. 

Another option aside from invite only exclusivness might be to keep the forums just how they are (to keep the open community easy to access), but share the files through p2p torrent (can still be magnet linked here). 

Many private torrent trackers in other communities stipulate you maintain certain share ratio, as such the more you share and maintain, the more you can download. It won't keep out anyone super determined to gain content, but it is primary defense against leeching. 

As a secondary benefit if frees up a LOT of resources needed to maintain a site like this. It's all shared through the community of p2p users, not centralized in a server which needs to be paid for. Tom told me a part of randr's issue was he was paying thousands a year out of topic to maintain the site, this would cut those costs drastically. 

Lastly with p2p the files are sort of ubiquitous, if this site was overwhelmed and went down, the content would not dissappear, it lives through the collective sharing of the community. 

Just my 2 cents 

• Content Provider
3 minutes ago, mlager8 said:

@mrorange  @ARMYAVIATION

Honestly I understand both sides of the coin on this one. I kind of like the idea of invite only but if that was the case a year ago I might of never got to where I am. I've built 3 tables with Tom and made a pretty solid friend I talk to a few times a week, both completely unexpected when I got into this hobby. 

Another option aside from invite only exclusivness might be to keep the forums just how they are (to keep the open community easy to access), but share the files through p2p torrent (can still be magnet linked here). 

Many private torrent trackers in other communities stipulate you maintain certain share ratio, as such the more you share and maintain, the more you can download. It won't keep out anyone super determined to gain content, but it is primary defense against leeching. 

As a secondary benefit if frees up a LOT of resources needed to maintain a site like this. It's all shared through the community of p2p users, not centralized in a server which needs to be paid for. Tom told me a part of randr's issue was he was paying thousands a year out of topic to maintain the site, this would cut those costs drastically. 

Lastly with p2p the files are sort of ubiquitous, if this site was overwhelmed and went down, the content would not dissappear, it lives through the collective sharing of the community. 

Just my 2 cents 

I like this!  I believe I saw something where the owner of this site was reaching limits due to all of the new content.  Great idea!

1 minute ago, jino0372 said:

I like this!  I believe I saw something where the owner of this site was reaching limits due to all of the new content.  Great idea!

I was just browsing the other sections of the forum and saw this as well which partially prompted me to bring up p2p. Don't want to put any financial strain on dazz when no one is making a dime... (well almost no one, that's how he all got here isn't it... ?

• Content Provider

i think most here would agree that i am a really nice and fair guy.  @jino0372i completely understand being afraid to comment, hell i didnt start off on the right foot either, ask @Thalamus, lol.  It was purely out of frustration and lack of knowledge.  I have seen Thalamus be pretty hard on people before, but to be fair it was usually because the person put 0 effort into solving their problem or they come in with an attitude that is undeserving.  I am the same way with those people.  I try to help people all the time and i dont know their names or their status, i do it to help.  alot of my frustration is that people wo never contribute, tables, b2s, software, media, think that they should have a say so on how things are run around here.  Hell, I still dont think i have a leg to stand on, I am still new.  I wasn't around in the beginning so i am a guest in this community so i try and contribute what i can, make some great friends and close my mouth and listen when i need to.  People smarter than me like @mlager8will find some ingenious way to get us out of this mess so i am going to close my mouth and listen.  Btw, i love that guy, he is awesome and i totally would have voted him in.  if i can just et him to hook up that knocker to his cab.......

• Content Provider
3 minutes ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

This is our “Phoenix” table

image.jpg

Awesome table to re-create!  I love the EM tables the most.  The only real machines I own are EM's.  It's all I can afford.  ?  I like the content in this table.  Let's face it...any table with ladies in bikini's is a winner in my book!  Through Roccodimarco I found a guy that owns Terrific Lake.  He seems open to helping me re-create this.  I am pumped up!!  I am also finishing up Loch Ness 2.0.  A lot of improvements!!  All new playfield redraw.  I also made the backglass look...kind of sweet. 

• Content Provider

@jino0372i really missed having an EM table.  I had a freedom for a while and sold it, shouldn’t have though.  You got the greatest EM builder here, he’ll loserman prob already has the table built so scan some plastics!

@Shannongreat to see you here.  Hopefully we get some more come over

• Content Provider

@ARMYAVIATION Bally Freedom is one of the machines I own.  I love it!  I fully rebuilt it from the ground up.  NOS Backglass...NOS Playfield....NOS Plastics.  All new rubbers, coils...the works.  The only thing I haven't touched is the cabinet.  It was the first machine I got and started the love affair.  Believe it or not...I got it for free.  The pastor at the church I was going to asked me if I had a power saw.  When I inquired in to why he said "they were going to throw this old arcade machine away and wanted to cut it up to make it easier".  I almost lost it!  My brother and I carried that machine...whole...not disassembled....down four flights of stairs.  At the time...I did not know how to disassemble it.  I had it back in working order in about three days.  I love Loserman's tables!  I have every single one and I play at least one every week.

@Shannon  Welcome!  I am glad to to see more and more of the folks that made VPinball great find a new home here.  I agree about @Wildman backglass creations.  The man is a wizard!  One of the things I love the most about pinball is the backglass art.  I have a few framed on my wall and I own several publications that focus just on just the art. 

• Content Provider

@jino0372thats awesome.  I bought mine for $300 and it was in great shape.  My first pinball game I owned.  I sold it before a move for $550 and I thought I got a great deal but that’s prob worth double that now.  What a great game.

when my son was young, he was scared of the birds talons on the side art.  We had to put post it notes over them so he wasn’t scared!

• Content Provider

@ARMYAVIATION - My dogs used to freak out every time I play Space Shuttle...I eventually changed the background sound to something less intense.   I'm going to have to start checking out FB Marketplace.  Most of the machines around me are made of pure gold...or at least it seems that way.  I used to own a Haunted House.  Unfortunately...I had to sell it.  A man's got to eat and all.  I love that game and looked in to buying one a year or so ago.  One went up for sale near me on eBay.  Damn thing sold for like 5 grand.  Oh well....I just fire me up some good old VPX.  Oh yeah!  

On 4/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, ARMYAVIATION said:

@bordthere is a solar city in Iuka, IL for $350 on FB marketplace.  How far is that from you

1.5 hours. Is it still up? I bailed on FB and my only regret is the pins on the marketplace.

I would just like to say i started this visual pinball  thing two years ago and am blown away by the creations from you people here. I do not have the skills to create or contribute to this hobby but am very grateful for all your hard work.

• Content Provider

@ARMYAVIATION-the "good ones" are the girl jumping rope, the bottom center plastic with the football players, the upper plastic with the jockey/horse, and the one with the drummer and guy playing the clarinet. So upon closer inspections it's not most of them that need re-scanning.