The Getaway - High Speed II 64 color Edition

Hah OK, I have figured it out - @lucky1 FYI!

I downloaded freezy 1.8.0 and was experiencing the same crash on the title screen. The title screen was using a "Replace Sequence" scene 1 frame long - I used "Replace Sequence" as I intended it as a backup in the event the chequered flag transition didn't fire because of any timing issues with the triggers/hashes. I tried deleting the trigger and the attract sequence would run until the Williams logo - again, another 1 frame "Replace Sequence" scene. DMDDeviceLog showed "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." so for a laugh I tried adding 1 more frame to both of these scenes and re-exported, and the error goes away and the attract sequence runs until the LaGrange scene (the next one using Replace Sequence) - it seems Freezy's DLL expects the Replace Sequence scenes to have at least 2 frames!

Fortunately I don't have loads of them so this will be easy to fix, I will do it later this evening and update here.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, slippifishi said:

Hah OK, I have figured it out - @lucky1 FYI!

I downloaded freezy 1.8.0 and was experiencing the same crash on the title screen. The title screen was using a "Replace Sequence" scene 1 frame long - I used "Replace Sequence" as I intended it as a backup in the event the chequered flag transition didn't fire because of any timing issues with the triggers/hashes. I tried deleting the trigger and the attract sequence would run until the Williams logo - again, another 1 frame "Replace Sequence" scene. DMDDeviceLog showed "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." so for a laugh I tried adding 1 more frame to both of these scenes and re-exported, and the error goes away and the attract sequence runs until the LaGrange scene (the next one using Replace Sequence) - it seems Freezy's DLL expects the Replace Sequence scenes to have at least 2 frames!

Fortunately I don't have loads of them so this will be easy to fix, I will do it later this evening and update here.

You should copy @freezy or @DJRobX instead of me. They are maintaining the color code in Freezy DLL

Sorry lucky - as soon as I posted that I realised you were probably the wrong person but figure you might be interested. I raised a new issue on freezy github.

I have just uploaded some new files - sources, VPIN and REAL - to fix the following:

• No more hitchhiker ghost hair on ball 1 lock sequence
  • Match sequence cop car palette adjusted
  • Freezy 1.8.0 compatible (all replace sequence scenes have at least 2 frames)

Have fun!

VPIN FILES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SG6htoGkxMJ7UzaJNafeHpOICk9A0-Ob?usp=sharing no longer available, you will have to download sources and re-export

REAL PIN FILES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P-oTdnd_VGMxCbM5Hfnk9k7wPd9mFI2Q?usp=sharing

SOURCES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1z-JOH1FXInAUkuh1WQU8Kea6wdDCarkB?usp=sharing

• Content Provider
On 11/21/2019 at 11:33 PM, slippifishi said:

The fact that the video mode "display window" translates left and right as the player car moves across the road for sure adds way too much complexity for my liking. I even struggled to think of a way to reliably colour the hills in the background without bleeding into the main action...

Anyway, great work; always love reading your release notes too "really high scores that only WOB can get" :D  

Did you have a look at the ColorMask Layered mode ?

On 9/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, slippifishi said:

Sorry lucky - as soon as I posted that I realised you were probably the wrong person but figure you might be interested. I raised a new issue on freezy github.

I have just uploaded some new files - sources, VPIN and REAL - to fix the following:

• No more hitchhiker ghost hair on ball 1 lock sequence
  • Match sequence cop car palette adjusted
  • Freezy 1.8.0 compatible (all replace sequence scenes have at least 2 frames)

Have fun!

VPIN FILES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SG6htoGkxMJ7UzaJNafeHpOICk9A0-Ob?usp=sharing

REAL PIN FILES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P-oTdnd_VGMxCbM5Hfnk9k7wPd9mFI2Q?usp=sharing

SOURCES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1z-JOH1FXInAUkuh1WQU8Kea6wdDCarkB?usp=sharing

Ahora sí funciona!!! Gracias por tu tiempo, muy buen trabajo!!! ??????

@lucky1 I'm afraid I didn't look at LCM mode yet; the video mode in Getaway is so complex, I think I want to try it on a simpler scene before I try anything quite that hectic, but there might be something in my next project I can try it with.

@sprudeldudel I tried running the L-2 rom in VPX but I am not experiencing any noticeable problems in those scenes, though I appreciate VPX is no substitute for the real thing ? I also checked against the Nov 2019 sources and I am using the same triggers/didn't retrigger those scenes (though both were recoloured/touched up). I will admit that the trigger for "shift to launch" is a bit dodgy in my opinion and I think would be at risk of not firing, but I tried to approach my edits with a mantra of "if the cap fits, wear it", so I didn't touch those triggers. I will try and go back and add something for the shift to launch at some point and post here when done, but I think I will struggle to be able to do much more with the hitchhiker.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have a real HS2 and installed a PIN2DMD some days ago. Awsome work. Is the latest version available the one on the link from Sept 25 2020? 

I'm not sure which version I really put down. For me, the video-mode is sometimes in BW and sometimes partly in color but the beetles are changing color in the horizon. Also, when going to the operators menu from attract mode, sometimes the attract mode sticks... I will try to update again with the files from 25 Sept to be sure I run the latest. If possible, I'd like a version with only BW in video-mode if there is still bugs so it will not work 100%. Do people here go in to the files and mod such stuff themselves? Are there "released" and "beta" versions of the file available?

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

Hi,

With the latest pin2dmd firmware (4.10), Visual Pinball is crashing when the ball 1 locked scene is played, right after this  :

20210519_214300.thumb.jpg.4f95710cefaa17b70457fb25da30d720.jpg

Maybe you could have a look at it ?

35 minutes ago, dtatane said:

Hi,

With the latest pin2dmd firmware (4.10), Visual Pinball is crashing when the ball 1 locked scene is played, right after this  :

20210519_214300.thumb.jpg.4f95710cefaa17b70457fb25da30d720.jpg

Maybe you could have a look at it ?

this is with freezy DLL or lucky DLL (or both!)? and are you using latest files i uploaded from 25th september 2020? (link in post above).

this was not a 64 colour project so it should still work with freezy 1.8, though i was running 3.x firmware on my pin2dmd at the time. i dont know if there are any other vpin users running 4.x firmware who might be able to confirm if they see the same problem -  @outhere maybe? :)

i saw the post in your LAH thread about replace sequence crashing, and there was/is a bug in freezy DLL where if the replace sequence was just one frame long (ie. you are using it to "mask out" a transition) then it would crash. i did raise a bug on github but i don't think it is fixed yet; in my last update on 25th september i just duplicated the frames in all the single frame replace sequences i had so they had two frames instead of one (i just copied the single frame) and it seemed to fix the problem. i don't honestly recall using it in the scene shown above, but im afraid im not in a position to open the project sources at the minute to confirm.

if you are using freezy DLL then there is a way to enable logging through dmdevice.ini iirc and that might give some more clues as to what is going wrong.

• Content Provider

With firmware 4.10 :

using lucky dll : it crashes at the frame mentionned before

using freezy dll 1.80 or 1.90r26 : nothing is displayed on pin2dmd (i have changed the config.log to trace, but nothing is written in my log file... maybe not manipulating well)

You just overwrote my version in the VPIN folder. My VNI file exported in sept 2020 is 7174KB, this new version is 7559KB. Either the latest editor export isn't exporting the same as the old version did, or you have indeed just exported an older version of the project. There have been no changes to the source files in google drive since my last update, which my understanding are the latest version/last version to have any updates - if you have 8 copies of the project locally I would suggest you delete them and refresh from google drive.

Worth pointing out that the LCM work done by Malenko was never completed and worked very intermittently, so in my version all those triggers were dropped and replaced with something more reliable, flat colour mask IIRC.

Malenko's version with LCM work is in the Getaway\Source\Malenko Nov 2019 Edition folder on google drive.

I guess try these files @dtatane and see if they fix your problem.

• Content Provider

The LCM scene called VideoMode Layered you are refering is an imported scene from my tests and is from a early stage of the LCM mode. I sent it to him to show him how LCM works. AFAIK Malenko never continued this work on the videomode. His last work on the videomode were some generic Colormasks named VideoMode1-120.

I could reproduce the crash of the other export and it was caused by a LCM scene with zero planes exported, which means a defective scene.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I planned to come back to do the video mode after slippi was done everything else. It worked intermittently because it was at best at a "proof of concept" state.

I think my method of coloring everything that is static, and then triggering each piece is the only way to get the video completely colored. 2 or 3 road signs down each side, and the billboards will be an easy start then the CPU cars, and lastly the player car which will be a massive pain in the butt.

• 2 months later...
  • Content Provider
26 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

I've picked this up beginning of the year. I have upgraded it to 64 colors and finished everything that was existing. I am making progress on the video mode. I cannot share photos due to the limitation of space, but trust me it looks sick.

I was wondering when you were going to pop up here again ;) 

Great work! I've added you to the main list and can't wait to test this out. Thanks for your contribution to this one!

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

My understanding is: first row of 16 colors is group one, second row group 2, third row group 3 and bottom row group 4?

This would be true if the original machine would provide 16 shades like Stern SAM and Spike but since the original WPC machine uses 4 shades a group consists of 4 colors. So in fact you have 16 groups (4 times 4)

• Content Provider

Generally there is nor stupid question but without a explanation sometimes some questions just make no sense for the reader. From the technical functional side there is no sense of having a frame without a hash because it has no function. If I read a question I only think about the technical side. What you do is (mis)use the hash field as some kind of tracking for your project progress which is technically not what it is intended for. Other authors create excel sheets to do the same or anything else to keep track. So what seems to be best for you may not suit everybody´s workflow taste. You can see this from the fact that nobody ever requested this feature although LCM has been extensively used by other authors already in other projects.

Sidenote about about your project and my "improper" analysis of the scene:

I still think that one LCM scene for the video mode is enough while you are talking about 38 scenes with 16 frames each. Why not have a LCM with 38 x 16 = 608 frames instead ?  Your argument may be that you don´t have enough masks available but I still think a grid of detection areas as masks can be used to detect all positions of all objects with unique hashes no matter what the viewing angle is.

Anyway you have chosen your way to go and that is fine if you get the result that you want.

To answer your question, there is no button to delete the hash from a frame and what I also can not guarantee is that a LCM scene will work if it contains frames with no hash assigned. The system currently relies on having a hash for each frame.

I currently don´t have the time to add such a feature requested and test the impact on the editor and firmware side. If you want to add it yourself the source for the editor is on github and if you have successfully tested it with the current firmware just initiate a pull request. 

The same for the documentation for the LCM mode. If you have additional documentation I can copy and paste to pin2dmd.com just let me know. This project still relies an the work of the community . I simply don´t have the time to fight on all borders.

• Content Provider
On 8/20/2021 at 12:55 AM, sprudeldudel said:

Hey, so next question (not decribed at pin2dmd.com): How do I remove a hash from a frame within a LCM scene? I am able to assign frames a hash and am successfully triggering approaching cars. However, when I delete a mask to re-arrange, the frames that have been previously assigned a hash from a now non-existent (deleted) mask, still have the hash assigned. In a new LCM scene they have a "-" - no hash assigned. Is there anyway I can delete a hash from a frame, once I have set it, so i can start fresh for frames in that particular scene?

The only workaround I have found so far is to "copy" the entire scene by creating a new one from it (using "mark start", "mark end" and "cut") and then restarting completely with that one. However somehow even then, some hashes seem to "survive"...

EDIT:

Now consistently getting red lambo and yellow beetles based on triggering with my "fabricated" scenes. Still needs a lot of concentration to get the LCM right and A LOT of collecting all the positions. ONce I went through all the dump-material I have, which is a decent amount, I will maybe ask for a bit of support with creatin very specific dumps.

Anyone willing and able to contribute in that way, please let me know.

I can try and help out with Dumps, although my setup doesn't really let me focus on Video Mode it does come up quite a bit. I can't produce my usual side-by-side videos with 64 colour projects as Freezy's DLL that I need for the colour virtual DMD doesn't yet support 64 colours.

Most of my dumps are probably already included in the project files as I did the testing for @malenko (and maybe @slippifishi, I can't actually recall), I have 54 Dumps in total, with the last being November 2020, reach out if you want access to any of those. I was advised I favoured hanging on the right side (I do ;) ) so I did make some efforts to try and use the left side in later dumps. 

Cheers,

Wob