The Getaway - High Speed II 64 color Edition

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, malenko said:

Win10,  x64 editor, I always export with size 8 dots.  I'll try the latest build at a later date.   It just started happening when I started testing the video mode editor, which I need to finish doing for this game.

Test with the latest version. There should be no problem switching from the version you currently have to this version. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2020 at 11:52 PM, freespawn said:

Thanks very much for uploading the real pin files :D have tested them in my machine get a couple of strange affects on the free play screen i know its beata so still a work in progress :D

Exactly the same feedback... love the work so far.  Some odd effects in attract mode.  The Burn Rubber bonus seems to lose colour as it animates.  The lock ball pickup with "nice wheels" has flashing colours, where as "Nice Car" is perfect.

I am running V3.12 if that helps

• Content Provider

I havent done a lot since last release. Burn rubber map is well over 100 scenes and triggers so its going to be a long work in progress when I get back to it.   The chick talking is 1 to 1 frame triggered so "nice wheels" must have a frame that isn't used anywhere else. I'll see if WOB can rip it for me.

On 4/8/2019 at 1:05 AM, MrTantrum said:

Ineed to get myself reacquainted with everything PIN2DMD.  I know what the .pal file is, but what is the .vni file?  I assume both are required for proper operation?

Also, my first effort just produces based color: white, red, cyan.  Contents of my SD card are:

pin2dmd.dat (set to Williams & VGA)

pin2dmd.key

PIN2DMD.pal (from your link)

PIN2DMD.vni (from your link)

Is there supposed to be a PIN2DMD.fsq file?

I know that my previous colorization worked (well the things that I had done correctly appeared in full color), so not sure what is up.  Do I need to upgrade firmware or anything on my display?  When booting display shoes v2.54.

hi there

ive never posted here before but have a question regarding the above

I am getting a color dmd for the getaway and am trying to

find or buy the correct software files I need for the dmd display.  

This is my first attempt and have several machines Id like have in colour

can anyone point me in the right direction 

many thanks.  Im told I need the pal and fsq files 

best regards 

On 6/13/2020 at 2:50 PM, malenko said:

I havent done a lot since last release. Burn rubber map is well over 100 scenes and triggers so its going to be a long work in progress when I get back to it.   The chick talking is 1 to 1 frame triggered so "nice wheels" must have a frame that isn't used anywhere else. I'll see if WOB can rip it for me.

Thanks for the response - really apreciate it.  Do you think the attract mode glitches could be due to Free Play mode?  Happy to send video images if that helps explain it.

• Content Provider
On 6/13/2020 at 10:46 AM, howardg said:

posted here before but have a question regarding the above

I am getting a color dmd for the getaway and am trying to

Are you getting a ColorDMD or a Pin2DMD?

If a Pin2DMD, the files are in the download section.

I have a ColorDMD for my Getaway, but I would just buy a Pin2DMD nowadays, the coloring has gotten that good.  Thanks guys, your the best.  I hope someone will color No Good Gofers, as thats the only non color DMD that I have now. 

• Content Provider
47 minutes ago, slydog43 said:

I have a ColorDMD for my Getaway, but I would just buy a Pin2DMD nowadays, the coloring has gotten that good.  Thanks guys, your the best.  I hope someone will color No Good Gofers, as thats the only non color DMD that I have now. 

*innocent whistle*

• 3 months later...

Someone on another forum (MadNat, from the previous post, actually!) asked me to look at a problem with the attract mode in the Getaway project from Malenko. The next thing I knew I was asking Malenko for write access to his project folder, and I am pleased to report that I have finished a "slippifishi sparkle pass" on the project. Almost every scene has had some attention of some sort, including but not limited to:

• Subtle (or not so subtle) recolouring of multiple scenes
  • Car wipes are much more reliable
  • Attract mode complete rewrite
  • Many missing text screens added
  • Lots of bleeding reduced or eliminated
  • Donut Heaven given a Krispy Kreme style ;)
  • I also added a better behaving mask to the video mode; this isn't great, but it will fire consistently
  • Loads more - about 30horus work

One final note of caution - the version of the project I used to polish may not have been quite the latest, and some scenes that Malenko had got working may no longer work as well/the same, but overall I am happy with how this looks. In keeping with Malenko's approach, the sources are already available on his google share (his original sources are in a subfolder marked "Malenkos Nov 2019 Edition", as well as generated files for VPIN and REAL - links are below.

As the project belongs to Malenko, I will leave it to his discretion as to whether he wants to update the main download available hereat VPU, or else I can upload a fresh version if desired. Thanks go out to MadNat and the legendary Wob (as usual!) for their help in providing videos and motivation :) 

VPIN FILES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SG6htoGkxMJ7UzaJNafeHpOICk9A0-Ob?usp=sharing

REAL PIN FILES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P-oTdnd_VGMxCbM5Hfnk9k7wPd9mFI2Q?usp=sharing

SOURCES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1z-JOH1FXInAUkuh1WQU8Kea6wdDCarkB?usp=sharing

Donations welcome and much appreciated: 

https://paypal.me/Malenk0

https://paypal.me/slippifishi

21 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

Quick feedback after first play:

First of all thank you for putting in the effort. Here's two things i found:

1. RED, YELLOW and GREEN are all only b/w, no colors present

2. When launching a ball the lambo animation of the lambo taking off is also b/w.

:) Thanks again!!

Julian

Hmmm there is nothing particularly special about those scenes or how they are triggered.  Are you running real or vpin? What rom version?  Those scenes (probably) use new palettes, did you replace both the *.vni/*.fsq AND *.pal files?

OK it might be the rom version, I was developing against L-5. I will take a look at the triggers in my version and the previous and see what changed, all the same source dumps are still there so hopefully just a case of restoring those triggers; I will let you know here when I'm done.

Does everything else look OK? The only other pure white scenes are the burn rubber map and the full screen numbers (eg. during supercharger mode) I think, everything else should have colour of some sort. 

OK at a guess you are using Freezy's DLL and this is a result of me using some scene types that aren't supported - that title screen is one of the few places I used them. Lucky had mentioned this a few pages back in this thread, but I didn't think that restriction applied to the types I used (ColorMask Sequence and Replace Sequence) as these just feel like extensions of the other main types. My VPIN cab with pindmd3 isn't running at the minute so I have just been testing on a pin2dmd running lucky's DLL - perhaps I will adjust my testing approach.

As such, the VPIN files I posted above should probably only be downloaded by people using PIN2DMD displays & lucky's DLL, sorry about that (don't forget that Malenko's original files are still available for download here through VPU)

In theory I can rework what I've done using the normal supported types instead and just bump the frame delays up, but I have some other things going on at the minute so it will be a few days before I can get back to this - I will post here when I have adjusted.

If I'm wrong and someone is successfully running this with Freezy's DLL then please let me know before I spend time reworking and potentially breaking it :)

@slippifishi great job on the latest version.  I had time to test out and enjoy on a real HS2 today (L-5 ROM).  You've clearly put a lot of detail into many of the scenes - I really like the graded text - nice touch.  The Black cop cars give a more modern look, and I really like the cleaner map scene, and recoloured Donut Heaven.  Thank also for jazzing up the Red Line Mania sequence.  Also Video Mode seems to be smoother (could just be my imagination).  Personally I'm not sure I prefer the recoloured Lambo in the 1st lock scenes - but thats just personal preference.  Love the recoloured cop in the Multiball scene.

There are two things that I think need your attention -

1. the first is after the 1st ball lock scene the woman's hair stays on the scene after everything else clears. 
  2. The cop car at the match scene, needs to be recoloured to be consistent with cop cars through-out the game

Thanks again - you've clearly put many, many hours into a project that @malenko clearly put many, many hours into!

3 hours ago, slippifishi said:

OK at a guess you are using Freezy's DLL and this is a result of me using some scene types that aren't supported - that title screen is one of the few places I used them. Lucky had mentioned this a few pages back in this thread, but I didn't think that restriction applied to the types I used (ColorMask Sequence and Replace Sequence) as these just feel like extensions of the other main types. My VPIN cab with pindmd3 isn't running at the minute so I have just been testing on a pin2dmd running lucky's DLL - perhaps I will adjust my testing approach.

As such, the VPIN files I posted above should probably only be downloaded by people using PIN2DMD displays & lucky's DLL, sorry about that (don't forget that Malenko's original files are still available for download here through VPU)

In theory I can rework what I've done using the normal supported types instead and just bump the frame delays up, but I have some other things going on at the minute so it will be a few days before I can get back to this - I will post here when I have adjusted.

If I'm wrong and someone is successfully running this with Freezy's DLL then please let me know before I spend time reworking and potentially breaking it :)

Yes, I'm using Freezy's DLL!!!