Star Wars: Death Star Assault - GALACTIC EDITION
Original Ultimate Pro table by SLAMT1LT
GALACTIC EDITION by TerryRed
Table version: 1.4 (July 2023)
A long time ago (2005) on a pinball editor far, far away... this table started its long journey.
First it started as the Sci-Fi Classic example table in 2005. Then SLAMT1LT created his Star Wars mod in 2010, which then evolved over the years to his Ultra version, then his Ultimate version, then finally his Ultimate Pro 1.06 version in 2020. I then updated that table with my Epic Space Battles mod in 2021, and then for PinEvent afterward.
In 2022, I present my massive GALACTIC EDITION update!
This table has been completely updated and modernized to use the newest BAM features to create an amazing real-time visual treat that will blow you away! Almost everything you saw before has been updated to the max (or replaced) and many cool new additions have been added!
Epic Space Battles were just the beginning. This table is so big it requires you to patch FP and BAM to allow them to access 4 GB of ram, just to run it! I highly recommend you watch the "evolution" video below to see many of the new features.
This table has been fully updated with FizX for game changing new physics on Future Pinball. The old Future Pinball physics are GONE! FizX uses techniques similar to nFozzy on VPX to completely change the physics for the flippers, slings, rubbers, targets, ball behavior and more that allows this table play much more realistically than anyone ever thought was possible on Future Pinball. You will be amazed at the difference!
This table is also updated to fully support PinEvent V2 features (DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD). It has modern PUP DMD display options that can work with all setups. With it's crisp HD text and dazzling videos, it's sure to wow everyone who sees it.
Some of the new features and updates:
- complete overhaul of the table to both modernize it and removal of older unused items
- new light inserts models with normal maps
- new 4K art for playfield, plastics, decals, apron, backbox, etc
- new updated shadowmaps for GI, flashers, lightsabers (for new coloured lighting and shadows), and suited for new ray cast shadows
- new shadow layer overlays that appears over decals, but not over openings on the pf
- new ambient shadows on the pf and plastics
- new fully updated lighting
- new beacon flasher
- new colour changeable wireramps
- new lightsaber models, and updated glow and lighting effects
- new models for Death Star, R2-D2, Millenium Falcon
- new updated R2-D2 hologram
- trench run plungerlane model
- new 3d docking bay window on the backwall with flyby space ships
- new fully animated turbo laser cannon that track flyby ships and fires at them when the bumpers are hit (or the player presses buttons)
- x-wing, tie fighter, vader tie fighter, y-wing ships that fly by
- space battles that have x-wings / tie fighters / laser blasts / explosions flying all around the game
- epic Death Star explosion effect!
- animated characters for Darth Vader, Yoda, C3PO, Stormtroopers, Pilot Luke Skywalker, GNK Droid
- VR room with spaceship hallway, planets, space, flying ships
- Star Wars arcade game easter egg (behind the player)
- BB-8 animated ball option (thanks Gimli)
- new 128x32 FP DMD
- new attract mode with Darth Vader's DISCO-RAMA with all characters dancing and animated colour changing spotlights... and new remastered Star Wars Disco theme music
- new PinEvent V2 support for DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD, PUP Stream, etc
- loads of other fixes, new details and other things I've lost track of...
This all combined makes for the most explosive and visually stunning Star Wars table you've ever seen! Pure adrenaline!
Thanks to SLAMT1LT for making such a great table to add all this to!
The WIP thread for the table can be seen here:
For a video preview of this table in action (before the FizX update) check out this video:
To see a video that shows the evolution of this table from 2005 to 2022, and how I updated the table, watch this video:
Thanks of course to these awesome contributors:
SLAMT1LT: original Ultimate Pro table
TerryRed: GALACTIC EDITION table
Matt Ellis: original Sci-Fi Classic table / layout
Gimli: BB-8 ball and animation code
Wild: original idea to add X-Wing and Death Star
Schlabber34: insert jewel images
FLEEP: mechanical sounds
Fuzzel: original Vader Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Turbo Laser cannon models
JLou - FizX and support
ravarcade: BAM and support
Nailbuster: Pinup Player, PUP DMD, PUP SSF
Chris Leathley: Future Pinball
This table is a fan-made work of passion, and is NOT intended for commercial usage or to be included in any part of a commercial sale!
****** This table is a 4 player game ******
Desktop Static Camera Views
In TABLE OPTIONS in the table script, you can change to a different static view (integrated into the table)
While in Attract mode, the following options can be changed:
Left Flipper: change lightsaber colour
Right Flipper: BB-8 ball, chrome ball
Plunger button: wire ramp colours (blue / red, chrome / chrome, lightsaber colour / red)
Special 1: change backglass art
Special 2: toggle lightsabers on / off
When the ball is in the plungerlane, the following will launch the ball:
Plunger button, Left / Special 1 / Special 2
During Gameplay, the following will fire the Turbo Laser Cannon (just for fun)
Plunger button, Left / Special 1 / Special 2
Second Stage Flippers
this table supports second stage flippers for cabinet players with this setup
this needs to be enabled in TABLE OPTIONS in the table script
ensure that your Second Flippers are setup in FP Control Settings
ensure that your Special 1 and Special 2 keys / buttons are NOT the same keys / buttons as Second Flippers! (they are by default)
BAM Ray Cast Ball Shadows:
this table was created to look best with the new BAM Ray Cast Ball shadows
this feature is ENABLED by default
this feature requires a fast video card, and will use much more of your GPU
if enabling it slows down the game... then your PC may not be fast enough to handle it (and you should disable it)
You can enable Ray Cast shadows in the BAM menu, or in TABLE OPTIONS in the table script
open BAM menu while in-game (~ or Q by default), and goto "Addons - Configure Ball and Shadows"
Sharpness = 0.850, Dark Level = -1.0
To disable this feature, disable it in both the BAM menu and the TABLE OPTIONS
BAM Menu settings:
BAM Lighting and Post Processing settings are set by the table script and will ALWAYS override the user's settings
this is needed to ensure that all lighting is set correctly at all times.
Physics: FizX v3.0
PinEvent V2 features for this table:
Night Mode key
TILT BOB key
Note: for PUP Stream there is no Playfield Mini Screen option
Game not running smooth?
If your PC is struggling to run the game at a good fps, you can try setting the following options in the TABLE OPTIONS in the table script, and see if any of them help:
BB8_Ball = 2
SpaceRoom_enabled = false
use_ShadowMaps = false
use_GI_Shadows = false
use_Lightsaber_Shadows = false
use_RayCast_Shadows = false (also disable this in BAM menu - Addons - Configure Ball and Shadows)
if using PinEvent V2 features, disable PUPStream for this table
run FP in Fullscreen, not Windowed
disable RayCast Ball Shadows in TABLE OPTIONS "first", then disable in the BAM menu while playing (Addons - Configure Ball and Shadows)
disable Reflections options in FP's Video / Rendering settings
reduce / disable Antialiasing in FP's Video / Rendering settings
disable any SSAO options in BAM plugins menu (disabled by default)
You can try disabling "Playfield Reflections" and "Anti-aliasing" in the FP "Video/Rendering Options" menu
If you have 4GB or less of VRAM on your GPU, then you can try enabling Texture Compression in FP's Video Settings
TABLE REQUIREMENTS (very important!)
All Visual C++ Runtime updates
FP and BAM (updated to 1.5-365 or higher)
Future Pinball and BAM Essentials AIO package (installed AFTER installing FP or after updating BAM)
my BAM Settings files installed
the REQUIRED “Video / Rendering Options” and “Editor Options” set in Future Pinball settings (included with the table's zip file)
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS (REQUIRED)
PLEASE read the Install Instructions (included with the table's zip file)
it shows you how to check what version of BAM you have installed
it shows you how to install all the REQUIRED items above (and provides links to download them)
it shows you how to easily setup FP and BAM with the REQUIRED settings
there is a FAQ included that will answer most questions!
It's super easy, and only takes minutes to do!
How to run Future Pinball to play the table
PLEASE read the Install Instructions (included with the table's zip file) to know how to properly use FP and BAM
Read the Install Instructions included in the table's zip file.
It tells you everything you need to know, has a very helpful FAQ, and has lots of pretty pictures!
Again, read the FAQ and the Install Instructions in the table's zip file!
- updated table for FizX v3.0
- replaced spinners with new spinner toys and Wecoc's code (now they won't stop balls, etc)
- new built in Static Camera Views for Desktop mode
- small fixes
- new install instructions
- ball rolling sounds changed in table and in pup-pack
1.3 - FizX update, Ball Rolling Sounds update, fixes
- updated FizX physics code to change how ball ID's are handled to prevent conflicts
- updated FizX physics code for more efficient Rubber bounce handling
- updated Ball Rolling Sound code to change how ball ID's are tracked to prevent conflicts
- removed old PUPRollingUpdateTimer commands that are no longer used (would give an error if PinEvent Settings were forced to be disabled)
- added fixes for final shot to destroy Death Star (now you can try the shot again if ball didn't reach Death Star kicker for any reason)
- BB8 ball tracking "should" be correct all the time now
- adjusted Vader kicker wireramp to allow VUK to kick ball correctly into the ramp (sometimes ball would fall back in)
- fixed R2D2 hologram sometimes turning off when it wasn't supposed to (the 30 second countdown, etc)
- various other fixes
1.2 - FizX physics v2.0, new dynamic FLEEP sounds, new BB8 ball, reduced load times!
- added new BB8 model for the ball (uses less polygons, head and body sizes are correct)
- optimized many models to reduce the amount of polygons they use
- load time is much quicker as a result of the optimized models
- changed dynamic camera views (desktop only) to better match table events (death star explosion, video mode, etc)
- updated table and physics to FizX v2.0
- updated PinEvent V2 Ball Rolling functions: new singular code for both FP and PUP SSF
- updated PinEvent V2 PinMechSound code to support new FizX auto ball hit events based on PF materials
- removed all triggers and sounds used for ball hit sounds (no longer needed with FizX v2.0)
- added more FLEEP mechanical sounds to support new FizX dynamic ball hit events
- this allows for amazing new dynamic mechanical and SSF sounds for the entire table!
- new FizX code no longer requires flipper Swing Angle to be specified in the FizX Flipper settings!
- FizX slingshots, drop targets, rubbers are now set in the FizX General Settings section (not in a FizX Profile)
- FizX XML_FPS is now set in its own section
- updated FizX Profiles to only change FizX Flipper settings
- there are no longer FizX Profiles used for different physics xml settings
- any settings needed for a different PHYSICS XML FPS is now set in the FizX FPS settings section
- updated entire table for FizX physics
- added new Yoda animations (thanks Gimli)
- added optional Time Attack Quick Ending to avoid random crash bug when Death Star blows up planet
- fixed Backglass Art options not changing on startup
- fixed chrome ball being partially visible when BB-8 ball is being used
- various table fixes
1.0 - first release
- table started as Star Wars DSA (Ultimate Pro 1.06) - Epic Space Battles
- updates to the table, layout, code, sound, music, items, lighting, models, etc
- removed older items / surfaces / lights no longer used
- updated BAM lighting and post processing
- new 128x32 "FP" DMD
- new beacon flasher
- new insert models, lighting, and textures
- new artwork for playfield, plastics, apron, backbox, decals
- new shadowmaps for G.I, flashers, lightsabers
- new "cut shadows" overlay images for G.I. and lightsabers
- new lightsaber models, lighting, and glow effects
- new models: Death Star, R2-D2, X-Wing, Vader Tie Fighter. Tie Fighter, Turbo Laser Cannon, Millenium Falcon
- new models: Y-Wing, BB-8 ball, trench run plungerlane
- new backwall 3D docking bay window / space / ships
- new VR Space Room: ship hallway / GNK droid / planets / space / flyby ships / Star Wars Arcade game and animation
- new animated characters: Darth Vader, Yoda, C3-PO, Storm Troopers, Luke Skywalker (arcade game pilot)
- updated R2-D2 hologram and images (also includes Ball Save and Death Star Countdown)
- new animated space battle sequences: flying ships, lasers, explosions, falcon fly-by with spotlight
- new fully animated turbo laser cannon that tracks fly-by x-wings, and blasts lasers at them when bumpers are hit
- new remastered Star Wars Disco attract music
- updated mini-game: now you can play on the playfield using animated Millenium Falcon, Tie Fighters, and flashers
- new Darth Vader's DISCO-RAMA: animated colour changing spot lights, dancing Darth Vader / Yoda / C3-PO / Stormtroopers
- updated attract mode. Added flyby camera option
- added new Death Star explosion effects
- new FLEEP mechanical sounds
- updated physics for DF1 and added ravarcade's spinner code
- PinEvent V2 support for DOF, SSF, PUPDMD, and PUP Stream
- added many TABLE OPTIONS to customize many tings on startup, and for performance, etc.
- a huge amount of work and lots of other updates and details I can't keep track of