Sam Stuttering?

open6l

Core 1 and 3 barely hit 30% for me now but core 2 and 4 hit about 85% yet no stutter/repeat. Sounds like some optimizations are being done with SSE2 enabled whereas before it was 40% across all 4 cores.

Arngrim: if there are any other optimizations that can be done let me know... Might keep me from upgrading my hardware specs after all :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

there's nothing else that can boost performance as far as I'm aware, except hire a consultant to improve sam.c with this issue but also auxiliar boards and ij4/wpt issue, this would cost a lot of beers.

• 10 months later...

Funny, I now have this sound stutter on recent SAM tables but my other 300 tables all play fine.  Even reduced my playback size to a small 800 x 640 just to see if this helped with the sound issue - nope, still happened !! 

• 2 months later...

Ended up ugrading my old LGA775 mobo with Pentium Dual Core E6800 3.3Ghz and DDR2 800Mhz ram with ASUS EAH Radeon HD6770 video card to a newer Haswell LGA1150 Core i3 4160 running 3.6Ghz / 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3 Ram with an R7 260 2GB DDR5 OC video card - Now I have no Sound stutter in Sam tables.

I have seen other posts about this and the best example of the sound stuttering problem with SAM tables I have read was the following.....

Let's say the soundtrack should go : One, Two, Three, Four

But it comes out sounding like this : One, One , Two Two, Two, Three, Three, Four, Four, Four , Four

Yea, I have. That was the first thing I tried. I have upgraded and downgraded drivers, I have tried using head phones, to make sure it wasn't signal noise from the LEDWiz and feedback gear, I have tried it without DOF, I have blown out my pinmame install and started over.. The only thing I have not done so far.. and this is probably next, is install a sound card.

What are your textures set to in VP?  I found that simply changing from 'Unlimited' textures down to '2048' fixed any sort of distortion in the sound.  If you are already set to 2048, maybe try going down to 1024 as a check....?

I have tried setting my textures all the way down to 512. No change. ACDC is by far the worst offender. I may try formatting the machine again and installing a different OS, just to rule that out. So far, nothing has helped even a little. I payed much closer attention this time, I do have the stutter as well as crackling audio.  My CPU is a 3750K over clocked to 4 ghz, I can't honestly see the CPU being an issue.

in general VPM can be pretty difficult to tweak when it comes to sound, thats why i setup this thread:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=21297

as an example, my own cabinet wants whitestar hardware to run with the native samplerate of 24242, my dads cab (which is almost exactly the same hardware setup) needs 48000. it doesn't make any sense but thats how it is.

• 11 months later...

hi! sorry I'm late on the topic, but I'm a new guy on Sam tables, and I just started, and be warned, no good with PC jargain like some of you guys. Anyway, I'm testing Batman The Dark Knight, and the one thing the sound from the rom  does is stutter. How to fix this issue? other than that, Love that the newer machines are starting to get some emulation around here. Love to play the newer machines like this, CSI, World Poker Tour, Family Guy (one of my shows,) and play at home, Can't seem to find an place where these machines are.

• 1 month later...

New vpinmame builds available, rev 3490 1.2, SSE2 enabled, hope it can improve performance, thanks Toxie for the tip ;)

Where do you enable SSE2?  I have the latest and greatest vpinamme on this site and three SAM tables all have stuttering sounds...I see enabling SSE2 helped a few people so I'd like to give that a try as the table plays fine besides the audio.  Where do I make the SSE2 change?

Thanks

I tried a couple of other things and I think I need a better video card, like others mentioned to other people, hoping that was not the case with my super PC - :) - j/k.  A buddy of mine is going to let me try a couple he has laying around...

Archived