King Kong - Data East - 1990 - Wip

Dazz

• Content Provider

Does the GI have actual ROM / solenoid based control or will it need to be faked?  Also, are P1's orginal lighting images available (on, a, b, off) or maybe the .psd source files?

If you are not in too much of a rush to get it out the areas you mention are pretty much up my ally, however, I don't have a ton of available time for VP and what I have at the moment is mostly trying to finish of a build / update with Fuzzel for Centaur and doing what I can to help the bug reporting / testing / QA stages of the VP9 DX9 release.  Also, how much video is available for assessing game play / physics. (is it just that one considering how rare this machine is)?  Light inserts aren't necessarily my speciality either but I've done them once (they're really more time consuming then PF and plastics lighting though.

Let me know what you think and if you'd be willing to work on a loser time frame - just ask fuzzel re: Centaur ;)

Nevermind the GI question as I see the necessary information earlier in the topic (11 Gen Illm - just like Lethal Weapon!).  That just made me think, is there any documentation for the flasher locations?  I would not have been able to accurately relay the flashers in the correct locations had it not been for the available .pdfs from ipdb for Tommy, Star Wars, and Lethal Weapon 3 (last two being personal mods / not released yet - I actually  have spent about as much time on Lethal Weapon 3 as I have with any other "formal" mod but that's partially because it's a friend's personal favourite table), The flashers in almost all of them needed correcting to a reasonable degree to the right locations / corrent numbers as indicated in the manuals and verified visually as well from some extensive video eye strain sessions - I think Star Wars might have been right already or at least limited for any changes).  Anyway, back to the point, does any reference documentation like the other Data East's have for flasher placement exist (I see from IPDB that there's no manual's there and I suppose is expected).

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Hey JF. I'm not really in much of a rush. I've been sitting on it for a while. I know members of the VP community are excited to play this game. Its pretty fun in the current state that we have it in. I'll check with P1 and see if he has the original psd files. The current pf images he was working, he just got partially through doing the inserts. The lighting that he did was just a quick job.

One of the issues with this table... Its so rare there is no documentation. From what I understand out of the 9 machines each was different from the previous machine. There are a couple videos and a nice picture gallery. Other than that, I think we could get by with artistic interpretation with flasher and GI locations until we can get better info.

• Content Provider

As Dazz said, table had initial lighting in place.  When I did the scripting I spent a lot of time with the table diagnostics and videos making some corrections and placing temp lights for the any missing lamp/solenoid calls.  It would be good to get a second set of eyes since there is no manual. 

As for the VUK vs steep 3rd ramp, it can easily be switched to the ramp version, if someone can create a working ramp. The multi-ball support can be re-used with no re-scripting needed.

• Content Provider

Hey guys, I'm not going to be the right person for joining in this project - at least at the moment.  Best of luck with it and thanks for still taking on such a unique and rare table, which really nicely jives with some of the arguable concept and use of VP for preserving pinball history.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i don´t have a manual for this one but i played around a bit with the VisualRomRunner and this is what i found out. Could be that there´s missing something but hope not :)

Switches:
1 Plumb Tilt
3 Credit Button
4 Right Coin
5 Center Coin
6 Left Coin
7 Tilt Slam
8 Ticket
10 Outhole
11 Trough Left
12 Trough Center
13 Trough Right
14 Shooter Lane
15 Left Flipper
16 Right Flipper
17 Left Outlane
18 Left Return
19 Right Outlane
20 Right Return
21 Left Sling
22 Right Sling
23 Wacker Drive
25 Ape Lane A
26 Ape Lane P
27 Ape Lane E
28 Ape Lane Ramp
29 Lock VUK
30 Missile Kicker
31 Loop Left
32 Loop Right
33 Tower T
34 Tower o
35 Tower W
36 Tower E
37 Tower R
38 Lock Bottom
39 Lock Center
40 Lock Top
41 DT Left
42 DT Center
43 DT Right
45 Radar Eject
46 Bumper Left
47 Bumper Center
48 Bumper Right
49 Cubs Target
50 Bears Target
51 Bulls Target

Lamps:
1 King K
2 King I
3 King N
4 King G
5 Kong K
6 Kong O
7 Kong N
8 Kong G
9 Tower T
10 Tower O
11 Tower W
12 Towet E
13 Tower R
14 Cubs
15 Bears
16 Bulls
17 DT Left
18 DT Center
19 DT Right
20 Not Used
21 Tower 25000
22 Tower 50000
23 Tower 100000
24 Tower Ex.Ball
25 Lock Red
26 Lock Yellow
27 Lock Green
28 City Bonus
29 Ape Ramp 25000
30 Ape Ramp 50000
31 Ape Ramp 100000
32 Million Bananas
33 2x
34 3x
35 4x
36 5x
37 Go Ape Again
38 Eject Ex. Ball
39 Everything Lit
40 Jungle Bonus
41 Loop 25000
42 Loop 50000
43 Loop 100000
44 Loop Ex.Ball
45 S Replay Arrow
46 Not Used
47 Tower 3000000
48 Special Left
49 Jackpot 1000000
50 Jackpot 2000000
51 Jackpot 3000000
52 Jackpot 4000000
53 Jackpot 5000000
54 Jackpot S Replay
55 Not Used
56 Special Right
57 Missile 25000
58 Missile 50000
59 Missile 75000
60 Missile 100000
61 Missile 1000000
62 Ape Lane A
63 Ape Lane P
64 Ape Lane E

Solenoids:
1 King Shooter
2 Kong Shooter
3 Ape Ramp BG Skul
4 BG DNSRS Shooter
5 BG Tower 25000
6 BG Tower 50000
7 BG Tower 100000
8 BG Tower Ex. Ball
9 BG Tower Million
11 Gen Illm
12 BG Girl Missile
13 BG Kong Explode
14 Tower Flasher
15 Skull Island
16 Missile Launch
17 Bumper Left
18 Bumper Center
19 Bumper Right
20 Sling Left
21 Sling Right
25 Outhole
26 Shooter Eject
27 Lock Release
28 Radar Eject
29 Ball Lock
30 Drop Target
32 Ticket
45 Flipper RightU
46 Flipper Right
47 Flipper LeftU
48 Flipper Left

Hope this will help a little for building the table and the DOF config´s ^^

greetz dup3d

Holy S***

Thanks, I was just about to attempt to go through and find all of this. Cheers!!!

@ dup3d or anyone that has tested this VisualRomRunner.

This runs on XP? Win7? Having trouble here on win8. Think this could come in handy for the white pages I miss!

I´m running the VisualRomRunner on Windows XP (on a VM on my Mac) and there it runs fine. Haven´t tested it on my Cab (Win7x64).And for Win8 i don´t know either as i don´t have a system running Win8 :)

Sorry for gashing up your thread some more but inside of the RomRunner download is a Data.cab.

Extract this manualy and you can run the vpmvrr.exe no problems on WIn8. I realised this after digging that XP laptop out and the installation failing on that too.

• 3 months later...

King Kong?  I've been around playing VP since it began almost and I've never seen this table in VP or knew of its existence.  However, I have seen a new rendition or mod of Medieval Madness more times than I care to see by this point.  Very cool to see a clean pf of a brand new table that I haven't seen before.  It's a fairly recent Data East game which is great news!  Data East tables are some of the greatest IMO.

• Administrators

We really need someone to take over with GI and lighting.  But I'm thining that I'd rather start over, when I have time, and use the newer lighting and primitive techniques in newer VP versions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived