Sam Pinmame?

BobAlbright

I see the new Pirates of the Caribbean requires installation of Sam Pinmame. This is the first I have heard of Sam Pinmame. What is it? Will there be other tables that require it? Will it cause issues with other tables? Do you install it right over the "old 2.5" pinmame? I'm a new cab owner and the last thing I want is to install something that gets me in over my head and causes issues. Thanks guys

I see the new Pirates of the Caribbean requires installation of Sam Pinmame. This is the first I have heard of Sam Pinmame. What is it? Will there be other tables that require it? Will it cause issues with other tables? Do you install it right over the "old 2.5" pinmame? I'm a new cab owner and the last thing I want is to install something that gets me in over my head and causes issues. Thanks guys

It is exactly the same, but with added support for the newer Stern tables (SAM system, introduced in 2006).

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stern_S.A.M._System_Repair

There were no negative side effects of the new pinmame .dll for me.   (YMMV)

first rule of SAM club, do not talk about SAM club on VPForums.... :)

Bob, I know you are an old guy like me. I think you have a VirtuaPin. I would suggest waiting to do this and read many threads here and at VPF on Sam emulation. You aren't missing out on anything except one table currently that has been publicly released here.

I see absolutely no point in waiting. As it was stated previously, there is no difference and I've yet to experience any issues with existing tables.

As a bonus, I actually found that Flipper Football's dmd is now displaying on my real dmd, where it wasn't previously.

I agree with Dstruct, it is only one table so far, but a couple more are on the way.  I suggest you only read up on the story surrounding SAM emulation if you get off on internet drama (I do, and this one is very juicy ^_^ )

If you have basic computer skills than you could give it a go. The changes are easy to revert if things dont work out.  Basically it comes down to replacing one file (the pinmame .dll).....adding  sam.vbs to your tables folder.....downloading the rom directly from the stern website,  renaming the zip file according to the name in the table script................and you are good to go.  (on win7 you may have to re-register the .dll with the pinmame setup program).

Don't get your panties in a wad, I wasn't saying for anyone else to wait.  I was only suggesting "waiting" to someone who is not that familiar with the whole VP process, who is not that tech savvy, who is unsure of what this is, who has a $5k cab that they don't want to fuck up the way it is working for them now.

• Content Provider

My suggestion if you aren't sure what you are doing is to make a complete back-up of your Virtual Pinball folder.  This way if you mess something up you can just delete the folder and paste your back-up folder in place.  I actually back-up my folders after I add new tables.  We are talking about computers here and all it takes is for one thing to go wrong with your hard drive and you're starting over.  I like the added piece of mind of keeping a copy of my cab files on an external drive too. 

On other sites like Vp Forum i know where to find ther Roms but i never search roms on other sites i all found on Vp Forum only the Stern Rom not....

Sorry that i asking for help here....

i think its a site who helping people each other..

but okay i never ask again anything here....

Okay thanks alot for your Time Admin.

• Administrators

Newer - It's ok to ask for help and support on this forum.  However, PM'ing or asking people to PM you is not the way to go about it.  People don't like to be bothered via PM and they have the option to disable PM'ing in their settings if they so wish.  All that we ask is that you search the forums before posting, and don't PM or ask people to PM you for support.  If someone has something to offer you then they will either post in the thread or they will PM you directly.

Well thanks for all your input on this new Sam Pinmame thing. Since it's only good for one table at the moment, I think I'll sit back and see what else come aboard with it. As Bob 5453 said, I don't want to F up my cab for one table. And I understand, that it's not that big a deal to make the change, based pm wowfer's comment. AND, LOL, I won't mention anything about it at the "other' site. LOL (This whole animosity thing is crazy!)

• Content Provider

It's okay to talk about VPF here. It's not necessarily the same over there.

That says something

Says something to me.....

It says we've moved on and ley them go. It says we're only concerned about furthering the hobby, and not making a business out of it. ;)

• Content Provider

you can say vpforums as much as you like here

here i'll even do one better

http://www.vpforums.org

go there use the site we have no issue promoting it, its just they dont want anybody to know about here, not sure why we are no threat to that site IMHO

as far as obtaining the roms all you need to do is go to source

http://www.sternpinball.com/game-code.shtml

• Content Provider

I literally just got home from the expo. I talked to Gary, and he said he didn't want anything "new" recreated. He didn't say how old it had to be to be ok though, and he had a line forming around him, so I wasn't able to get any deeper than that. He spoke about the biggest threat being people having "apps" or their phones. He said people playing on their phones won't make them want to go out and play pinball, if they can play it on their phone. My dad, a longtime operator, has said the same exact thing about I-phones. I even saw a "controller" that you plug your I-phone into that turns it into a minicab.

A concept I had been exploring (cabs for operators) he also said wasn't viable, that it would be a losing venture for whoever tried it. He didn't think the quality of play was good enough to make that work.

This is for whatever it's worth, take it as you want. I'm not saying do or don't.

1382230142.jpg

• Content Provider

That's kind of how I took it too, anything he's selling right then.

We were talking for a while before he gave his speech in the autograph room. I was there getting my design signed, and ran into him. I've been working on a designer's gig, but I need to learn CAD first.

1382256971.jpg

Archived