Stern Sam - Pinmame Source Code

xmassam

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Nice work guys.

Thanks Dazz - very interesting to see this available - some other VP sites won`t even allow discussion of SAM :o

Cheers Buzz

Some sites won't even allow other sites to even be mentioned.

Some sites won't even allow other sites to even be mentioned.

I can respect the "no SAM" discussion rule, things like that seem reasonable if that's the kind of community you want to run. But censoring other site names and URLs really irritates the hell out of me.

The source that Dazz posted is NOT the latest... I'll give it to Dazz... what he decides to do with it is up to him  :)

Also, please use this thread to notify me of any new Stern updates to their game code library.  It'll be easier for me to keep track and update the source easier.

Thanks

• Administrators

Snotz - I think you and shilmover need to get together on this.  I think he's done some fixes as well, perhaps if we can get a couple people working on this we can keep it updated and hopefully bug free.  I was thinking about creating an VPU SVN for this, but I'm not sure where to start.

Send me what you have and I'll get it updated.

• Content Provider
Snotz - I think you and shilmover need to get together on this.  I think he's done some fixes as well, perhaps if we can get a couple people working on this we can keep it updated and hopefully bug free.  I was thinking about creating an VPU SVN for this, but I'm not sure where to start.

Send me what you have and I'll get it updated.

I would suggest Git.  Easy to use and can handle merges.  Could easily be hosted on GitHub.

I would prefere GitHub too. You can create a main repository where the maintainers get write access to. Everyone who wants to contribute can create his own clone of this repository on works on his changes there. If his changes are done he can submit a pull request and the changes are transferred to the main repository easily after one of the maintainers accept this changes.

Also it would be easy to create a second cabinet branch inside the main repository and keep it in sync with the normal code.

Edit: There is also a git2svn available which lets you get the updates from the official SVN with ease.

I was in Destin, Fl today and after much searching finally found a pin to play.  Stern's NASCAR.  When I saw it, after driving around quite a bit I was disappointed.  I guess I had been hoping to play Avengers, or TRON, or something else.  I should consider myself lucky to find ANY pinball.  At any rate, I plugged 8 credits worth of quarters in and got 3 or 4 replays, tons of extra balls and had a blast playing for about 80 minutes.  Under $2/hr to play, well worth it.  I really liked the games layout, the 'missions' and just about everything.  The track is really unique and quite a cool feature that really amped up the feeling of the multiball.  The guy there said pins just don't bring in much money and they break down too much.   I was also disappointed to not see a single working classic at any arcade.  One that had been shuttered had a MsPacMan/Galaga Anniversary cab just sitting silently.  I could hear it begging for power and quarters.

One of the saddest things was all the SHIT that was in the arcade, stupid crap.  Less games of skill and storytelling whatsoever.  The closest thing to anything I recognized were updated racing games and surprisingly some still used CRTs.

At any rate, has anyone considered making NASCAR?  I think it would be a kick ass pin.

How did I not catch that?  Thanks RipleYYY.  Will look into it.  Maybe a conversion is called for, gonna have to get hold of someone about that...

I also realize now that this wasn't a SAM game.  Knowing nothing about how the roms work, though it'd be tough for me to do much but update the artwork.

well scott in the next few weeks when im back at work and in a normal routine we'll start tidy of what we have done already if you are up for it.

I need to change the alpha setup on batman, add a few sounds and a light i missed and its prety much done.

for anyone who is curious on the quality of the works here is a little tease

dk0_9_8wip.jpg

wofwip.jpg

nbawip.jpg

These look fabulous and without asking when they'll be available...

Seriously I am curious about doing the artwork and 3D in VP.  These tables look great.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a bug in the initialization of Avengers.

When you start the game, you have to wait 30 seconds for the initialization to TIMEOUT - then you get an error:

OPERATOR ALERT

LOKI LOCKUP

After that you can start a game in coin play/free play, etc and everything I tested works fine. I even tried to disable the loki lock (3 ball lock mech) and it still happens.

The source that Dazz posted is NOT the latest... I'll give it to Dazz... what he decides to do with it is up to him  :)

Also, please use this thread to notify me of any new Stern updates to their game code library.  It'll be easier for me to keep track and update the source easier.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

No every SAM table works fine with the last complile of VPM from snotz EXCEPT Csi and IJ4.

If snotz can compile vpinmame with the new ACDC romnames, you can at least get the jukebox working on a sample table.

The rom is 100MB and most of it is music both live and studio songs. Renaming the rom and bin to acd_165 gets the table to load with a nag, but without sound since vpinmame is unhappy.

We had the same thing with Transformers and snotz was able to fix it. Go for it man!

Doesn't AC/DC have the same bug as CSI?

post-91-0-43771500-1365341127_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Can somebody include a readme with the source, explaining how to compile the source into the latest vpinmame source. I have gotten as far as including NASM, but I don't know where to include the sam.c or where to find the def.h file. Also, when I compile the latest version of vpinmame, my dll ends up being nearly 6 MB. So a little direction on how to compile would be nice.

Thanks. :)

Also, on my computer at home, which is a AMD 3200+ with 1GB of RAM, the latest compiled verion downloadable from here, does not run. It simply closes whenever I try to do anything with it. Even when I run Setup.exe and try to click the infor button, the setup.exe app just dies and goes away. That is why I am trying to compile a version just to see if my compile works any better.

EDIT: I just tried putting the latest compiled SAM vpinmame.dll on my Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine, and on that one I get FTD2XX.dll is missing from your computer. I put the old vpinmame.dll back in place, and that error message no longer appears. So what am I doing wrong?

I find it hard to believe you could run the last official version of vpinmame with just 1 GB of ram.

I assume you have another machine (windows 7 pro) with more ram? Did you try the vpinmame here (from december) on your new machine?

Sorry can't help with the complie question, as I'd like a new build too to include the latest ACDC.

Can somebody include a readme with the source, explaining how to compile the source into the latest vpinmame source. I have gotten as far as including NASM, but I don't know where to include the sam.c or where to find the def.h file. Also, when I compile the latest version of vpinmame, my dll ends up being nearly 6 MB. So a little direction on how to compile would be nice.

Thanks. :)

Also, on my computer at home, which is a AMD 3200+ with 1GB of RAM, the latest compiled verion downloadable from here, does not run. It simply closes whenever I try to do anything with it. Even when I run Setup.exe and try to click the infor button, the setup.exe app just dies and goes away. That is why I am trying to compile a version just to see if my compile works any better.

EDIT: I just tried putting the latest compiled SAM vpinmame.dll on my Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine, and on that one I get FTD2XX.dll is missing from your computer. I put the old vpinmame.dll back in place, and that error message no longer appears. So what am I doing wrong?

• Content Provider

Yeah, I am running all the vpinmame.dll files to date on both the junker at home and my computer at work (non-SAM and a older SAM build, version 2.4). That's why I find it strange that neither want to run the SAM build here for download.

Its amazing that my computer at home can run half the stuff it does. I should take a picture of the insides through the side window. Everybody would freak at the dust collected in there. Every so often it starts whining and I just give it a kick. :D

I find it hard to believe you could run the last official version of vpinmame with just 1 GB of ram.

I assume you have another machine (windows 7 pro) with more ram? Did you try the vpinmame here (from december) on your new machine?

Sorry can't help with the complie question, as I'd like a new build too to include the latest ACDC.

And from the dead cometh...

Good luck with this one Rascal.  AC/DC 1.65 is 119MB ROM.  PinMAME equates it to about 320MB of RAM just to run it, without VP or any other effects (LEDWiz and such)

The previous build was for PinDMD, which is why it required FTD2XX.dll.  I posted both versions this time.

This build also has the fixes for games that have LEDs/GIs above the normal 80. (Family Guy mini playfield)

Archived