Stern Sam - Pinmame Source Code

xmassam

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Are we the only ones keeping this? (Just curious as it was removed from PN, and I saw it posted that it was at vpf a few hours). I take it that it was deleted from vpf? Then again, what HASN'T been deleted there. I only ask for my own curiousity, I really don't have the skills to take advantage of it, and I'm not part of any conspiracy.

just tried CSI with vpinmame test

it works!   awesome to see it running

edit: i can see the problem:  xmen pro also worked....   

but...  as long as no one releases a table to go with that, you cannot really do anything with it.....  so should not be a problem then. Noone is going to spend lots of time recreating a table which cannot be posted anywhere.

• Content Provider
Ok...ok

i can definately see UW in his blacked out garage impressing visitors with his fully working avengers LE recreation......  

but a public release would be unlikely

Been playing this one for a few years thanks to destruk releasing the sam pinmame.dll to the ultrapin people.

post-13-0-91080400-1357591124_thumb.jpg

Ah.. so you ARE a member of the secret society of SAMMERS....     hats of to you gentlemen for keeping the files under wraps for all this time. Really rare to see such restraint in this internet era. 

We will see what happens, but for now i am happy just playing around with the roms. Lets not get greedy

edit: i'm just now reading up on all the SAM related ultrapin drama. For some reason i just love a good story from years ago. I am amazed at the fact that given the sheer number of people who probably have had acces to the ultrapin dll and tables over the years, the files are not all over the net.

• Content Provider
I have the following real pins: ACDC Premium, TFLE, SM, IronMan, AVatar LE, Tron LE, FYG.

If anyone needs pics.  :)

i am really in need of a few plastic pics of ironman, i have managed to redraw a few but some are just too hard to do from general pics.

this new leaked code still has the known emulation errors and as it is we still cant recreate indiana jones or csi,  the rom does load but has the credit and start freeze issue

i'll eventually get around to releasing some tables here soon :)

tables i have perfect playfield images for:

tron

transformers

ironman

indiana jones

csi

spiderman

as for  tables we DONT need anything more for:

batman

wheel of fortune

NBA

Shrek, "maybe some new toy pics would be sweet"

family guy

The manual excerpts for all recent Sterns up to XMEN LE are here:

http://www.sternpinball.com/parts.shtml

Much of the info you need to code the games is there except artwork. Some of them are quite good with color drawings.

Anything missing can be figured out from the Stern diagnostics when you run the rom. They have nice switch/sol/lamp/flasher diagnostics.

I wish the newer manuals look like the IJ4 manual with color and nice pictures. They are horrible copies now.

My Tron and XMEN manuals from my games are like bad xerox copies... I guess they cut the documentation staff :)

• Content Provider

I think a lot pinball people, me too, don't know whether it's allowed to create these tables or not. I've read a lot about a agreement to wait 3 years. But wait 3 years after what?

I don't know the background and therefore I'm waiting until some accomplished facts.

• Administrators

We are never going to get accomplished facts... As a mater of fact, no one has ever seen or heard of this "agreement" outside of VPF staff.  Honestly, I think it's just a rule that VPF made up and enforce on their own. In past interviews; Stern himself stated that VP/VPM does not hurt machine sales.

Not to mention; the original Stern SAM .dll that Destruk created was used against the TOS of MAME/PinMAME.  The source was not included and the dll was sold and used in Ultrapin machines.

I know that Noah thinks that I'm the one that leaked this, but that is not correct. We have had access to this dll for a while now along with some of the *not* so uber quality tables... I've got absolutely nothing to do with this release although I've had the same dll that Destruk used for a long while. Then another person was able to reverse engineer that dll and hacked in a couple other games and now we have this source release.  The source for this dll is quite a bit different than our previous hacked together version.  VPU is all about embracing the Open Source aspect of VP/VPM and we are not going to stifle development.

I think that the rules that we have put into place regarding this on VPU are reasonable.

1. No SAM ROM's will be hosted on VPU.  ROMs can be downloaded directly from the Stern website.

2. Tables should only be created for older SAM machines.  Tables that are, lets say, 3 years out of production. I haven't checked the list, but this should be games like WOF, POTC, WPT, 24, CSI, Shrek, Family Guy, etc.

Thank you Dazz.

"We are never going to get accomplished facts... As a mater of fact, no one has ever seen or heard of this "agreement" outside of VPF staff.  Honestly, I think it's just a rule that VPF made up and enforce on their own. In past interviews; Stern himself stated that VP/VPM does not hurt machine sales."

Hmm, so if there is no official rule, Stern doesn't care and the 3 year rule was "made up" why would it be enforced here? There are lots of cool games I would like to try on my cab. If anything Stern will probably get more sales since more people can try their games and get interested.

"VPU is all about embracing the Open Source aspect of VP/VPM and we are not going to stifle development."

Well if this is true, then regarding Rule #2:

I own an XMEN and I am working on XMEN for my cabinet. Am I not allowed to talk about it here and post screenshots? I'd be happy to work on it and keep it to myself if this is the rule. But, what's the difference between making this and WOF?

We are never going to get accomplished facts... As a mater of fact, no one has ever seen or heard of this "agreement" outside of VPF staff.  Honestly, I think it's just a rule that VPF made up and enforce on their own. In past interviews; Stern himself stated that VP/VPM does not hurt machine sales.

Not to mention; the original Stern SAM .dll that Destruk created was used against the TOS of MAME/PinMAME.  The source was not included and the dll was sold and used in Ultrapin machines.

I know that Noah thinks that I'm the one that leaked this, but that is not correct. We have had access to this dll for a while now along with some of the *not* so uber quality tables... I've got absolutely nothing to do with this release although I've had the same dll that Destruk used for a long while. Then another person was able to reverse engineer that dll and hacked in a couple other games and now we have this source release.  The source for this dll is quite a bit different than our previous hacked together version.  VPU is all about embracing the Open Source aspect of VP/VPM and we are not going to stifle development.

I think that the rules that we have put into place regarding this on VPU are reasonable.

1. No SAM ROM's will be hosted on VPU.  ROMs can be downloaded directly from the Stern website.

2. Tables should only be created for older SAM machines.  Tables that are, lets say, 3 years out of production. I haven't checked the list, but this should be games like WOF, POTC, WPT, 24, CSI, Shrek, Family Guy, etc.

Archived