Directoutput Framework Announcement

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100%. I did have the issue where the LED's would fire if there were too many things going on with the last release but since then everything has been spot on.

Same for me. Nothing negative to report since latest beta. Everything works - not a single issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi

A update on the beta has just been uploaded. The beta tester will recive a email with instructions.

All the best

Tom

swisslizard, When can we expect a public beta?  Really looking forward to this when it is released.

It was actually a serious question.

Been doing opensource software half of my life but around here it seems to be common to announce stuff but keep it private for months (even years if you look at the Unity 3D thread). Seriously, what do you think will come out of this besides frustrated devs who would might have submitted a PR but couldn't because they get 404s on GitHub when they click on the source link of your doc?

• Content Provider

Of course there is one main reason to do it like Tom is doing it: To release a first version in high quality.

It's much more easier to handle a handful of beta tester for bug hunting than to release a buggy version to public and answer thousands of PMs.

That's nonsense. Out of experience, the amount of time you lose by treating duplicate reports is insignificant compared what you're gaining by "free" (as in: click the merge button) fixes coming in from other devs. This isn't the nineties anymore where you exchange diffs via mail. So again, what's the reason?

No need to get cynical.

Your statement about having to "answer thousands of PMs" was nonsense and I wasn't trying to insult your personality by saying so. In the contrary, I think you did a splendid job with B2S Server.

However I still don't get Swisslizard's release strategy. DOF is mentioned all over the place on multiple boards, the doc is public, the bug discussion seems public, just the code isn't? Not even the binary? Really?

since it is all just a hobby, there is no "right" way of doing things.  Freezy pointed out (a bit roughly) that he may have been able to help with coding, were the code open from the start. But maybe Tom likes to do things alone/his own way, and since it is his baby (for now), he should be able to do just that.

• Content Provider

Well, well, calm down everybody. There is really no need to start any kind of fight over this topic. As Rudy says: "It's only pinball!" ;):wub:

First of all, I really appreciate that Freezy and other people are willing to help with the framework.

If the current beta version doesn't have any obvious bugs (so far I did not hear anything bad), there will be a public release pretty soon. Then the binaries and the source code will be published.

There are a few reasons why I havent published the binaries and the code yet. The most important are:

• I have constantly been trying to optimze the object model of DOF. Once the framework is public and other enthusiasts start to work on the code, it will be hard to do object model changes since this could easily break someone elses code and/or confuse the coders. There is still some work which could/should be done in this area (in particular in the code for output controllers and global config), but I have stopped working on that for now. I hope noone will be offended if I start to do these changes after the release.
    Since this is a private project, I want to have a clean object model. I'm doing software for companies as well and there I just have to get the job done in short time and can rarely spend time to do things in a nice and optimized manner.
  • As Herweh mentioned, I want to be reasonably sure that DOF works well enough for most users when it is published. I dont like software which you download and the next thing is that it wont work for you or isnt stable. With the current results from the beta testing, I think there is a fair chance that this will work as expected.
  • And yes, Herweh is also right about handling the communication. Communication with the involved folks having a tech background does take a fair amount of time. Helping the guys which are non techies takes also a lot of time. So only having a limited number of testers, means more time left for coding.
  • Last but not least, I'm still working on updating the docu. I hope that a good docu will reduce the number of support requests a bit, so I can still concentrate on further developemnt of the framework, rather than provididing support.

There is also a reason why I have announced the framework widely. I just wanted to be sure that noone starts to do the same thing (no reason to do the same work twice).

Thanks Swisslizard for your reply. Allow me to comment.

• What you're describing in the first point is very true for an API. Once a version is released you can't change it easily without breaking BC. In your case however, I don't think that's the case. The public interfaces you have can be easily declared as non-final during development, avoiding the conflicts you're describing. As an interested dev I have two choices then: Take the risk of having to solve a merge conflict later, or wait some more until it stabilizes. Both options are still better than having nothing to work with at all.
  • For the second point: No one expects bug free software, specially not from free time projects. Agreed that some minimal functionality should be in there, but hell, why not let the user decide if he wants to give it a try despite the alpha status?
  • Point 3: It's called "community" for a reason. See, the first person who answered in here was arngrim (within 5 minutes). I'm quite sure that other people would be dealing with the "non-techie" problem. Worst case nobody deals with it and they'll wait until you're happy with the software and have more time for "1st level support". Best case, they're helped by others. Again both are better alternatives than shutting out potential contributors.
  • Last point: From what I've seen from your doc, it is detailed to a point where I actually needed to look at the code anyway in order to find out more. It is largely enough for anybody to get it running and anything else is code business anyway, where documentation without code wouldn't make much sense.

As wowter said, at the end of the day it's your baby and you do with it what you want. Personally I was about to check out your code twice since you announced it, and both times I was held back by the repo still being private. I'm not saying I would have saved the day or anything (probably not), but I haven't even given the chance.

As a dev (I also code for a living) I find this quite frustrating. As an end-user, I would be happier to decide for myself whether to give it a try or not. As a project owner, I strongly believe that open sourcing projects early on gives a shitload more advantages and opportunities than keeping it private. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Winschä gliich nu ä scheenä Tag,

-freezy.

• Content Provider

As an end-user, I would be happier to decide for myself whether to give it a try or not.

omg who do you think you are, it's Tom's baby and he has his intellectual right to decide whether he gives the source code before, after or never.

What would you say about Future Pinball then  :rolleyes:

omg who do you think you are, it's Tom's baby and he has his intellectual right to decide whether he gives the source code before, after or never.

What would you say about Future Pinball then  :rolleyes:

I was referring to Tom's statement:

I dont like software which you download and the next thing is that it wont work for you or isnt stable. 

To which my reply makes complete sense, even without thinking of me of whatever you think I do.

And yeah, FP's Black seems to be a different type of character.

• Content Provider

Guys, please stop that discussion. I dont belive that it is leading to any productive result..

Everybody is entitled to his own opinion. Things could surely be handled differently and a fully opem approach would have its benefits as well, but the way it is now is just how I wanted to do it. Discussions whether they should have been done differently or not are anyway not changing anything anymore since we're close to the end of the closed beta testing (at least I hope so) and everything will be public in a few days anyway.

Archived