Unauthorized Mods

AaronJames

• Content Provider

This. It seems there's no respect to copyright(I know and we all know this is a legally gray area), but all the respect & glory given to the table author. No honor among thieves? Yes, a table author put a lot of work into it, but that's not to discount the guy/guys who put forth the effort into the real life version!

If they can't be contacted, it's just as assumable as a "yes". The hobby should not rest on people who aren't even involved any more. Otherwise it will fade away into obscurity.

Go ahead & rip those plastics scans from a table made 5 years ago with someone who's email address bounces back. They didn't get permission from the company/artist to get that artwork, so why should you have to? That's one question I never got a clear answer to. "because they already got paid for it" does not answer it.

Also, it's difficult to enforce. Anyone could mod a table without any clearance/permission/blessing & upload it to some other site. There's bigger fish to fry than worrying about that.

No shit its not about copyright its about respecting a normal guy sitting at home making these things in spare time.

Since we are just ripping copyrighted works why isnt there 50 tables built a month by everyone.

Maybe its that mentality that is the reason there is only a few authors left. I dont rip any of my artwork, i redraw every pixel that goes into my tables and you seriously think of us as thieves, thats piss poor.

No wonder i dont really care about this shit anymore, some people are too thick and just cant seem to understand we are not the evil theiving badguys. How much did you buy any of your tables? I didnt see your royalties go to original ip owner

• Content Provider

I don't see copyright coming into play here. No one's making any money from these, it's more a "pride of ownership" thing,

I see asking for permission a "respect" thing for the author who made it. "Hey, do you mind if I use your work as a starting point"?

If a demonstrable effort has been made, let the person come forward after a given time.

I guess that is/was my point.  The "pride of ownership" thing is misplaced.

As an example.  I am a fan of comic books.   I like the character Superman.  I am perfectly able to write and illustrate fiction regarding Superman.  I can create whole new stories.  Form a series of these books.  Add new characters to the Superman mythos, etc, etc.  This doesn't change the fact that I don't OWN Superman and thus cannot claim to "own" any of my works.  I knew full well going in, I was piggybacking on another's property.  If DC Comics were to get a hold of these and decide they liked them and were going to publish them, I would have absolutely no recourse.  It is their IP.

The pride of ownership should come in knowing the good work you did and the help provided to the community in such a case.

If it is indeed an original work, not a recreation of someone else's property, I STILL think open source is the best way to go; but I understand the desire and need for concepts such as ownership in these circumstances

• Content Provider

2. I never thought that the whole VP community was bunch of "I want my stuff for free" assholes. I always saw it as a community that tries to preserve the pinball spirit.

Without sounding too harsh, this is somewhat true. When I started my site, I set out to have a move active community, rather than a larger one. A friend showed me that of all the members at vpf- about 4% or so post anything at all. The concept of the community as a whole rather, was to preserve these tables. The actions were a bit different. Mind you these are observations, I'm not putting anyone down.

• Content Provider

It's seems that most of the people that are against unauthorized mods are people who have made tables from scratch.  I guess spending months drawing, building and coding changes your view on the subject.  Itchigo is right, it's not about copyright, it's about respect.  Of course this is the internet,  nobody gives a shit about respect or copyright.

Archived