Where To Get The Flasher Rgb Leds?

SEALen

So where do you get hold of the bright RGB (or RGBW) Flasher LEDs?

I found a few at www.dx.com but it's hard to tell if they are the "correct" kind. There seems to be no heatsinks on them and the heatsinks they sell seems inadequate for the job.

I'd appreciate if you could point me towards some good web-store :)

i have those too, (or ones that look like those).  No need for an expensive heatsink, just attach them to a piece of thick aluminum strip (with thermal compound, or thermal adhesive pads), They dont run hot at all, and mine are more than bright enough.

Well, found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-3W-RGB-Color-High-Power-LED-Light-Emitter-4-pins-with-20mm-Star-Heatsink-/370845580139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56581e7b6b

Seems that the star is the heat-sink needed and they are about the same specs as all other 3w LEDs I've seen.

And so cheap I'll get 10 and have 5 on the shelf for a rainy day ;)

Do you think there is a need for a special white led as I've seen there is RGBW ones out there?

Yeah, gonna check out Zebs place when he get's back from fishing. He didn't want to come back to a massive heap of orders apparently so he shut his site down while he is away. Can't see any of his products...

• Content Provider

Those look pretty good.

If you go with them, please report back on how they turned out.

Don't bother with the white, you can get a pseudo white by turning all the colors on at full power.

Well, found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-3W-RGB-Color-High-Power-LED-Light-Emitter-4-pins-with-20mm-Star-Heatsink-/370845580139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56581e7b6b

Seems that the star is the heat-sink needed and they are about the same specs as all other 3w LEDs I've seen.

And so cheap I'll get 10 and have 5 on the shelf for a rainy day ;)

Do you think there is a need for a special white led as I've seen there is RGBW ones out there?

chinese marketing................  yes, the star is also a heat-sink (and you can also buy leds without the star-pad), but it is not enough to keep them cool. You HAVE to attach them to a special heatsink (or all 5 of them to a 2 dollar piece of aluminium strip...).

Zebs boards are great, but even if you still have to buy the needed resistors, flasher domes and soldering gear you will come out much cheaper with this DIY approach.  Also:  I have 2 left hands, and had never soldered anything in my life, and i was done in about two hours (including the woodwork).

Okej, shouldn't be to hard to get hold of a aluminum strip to put them on. Soldering is no problem for me. I look forward to it acctually. The whole wiring thing seems like the bigest challange with the build. Getting it to look good and and not like a big spaghetti ball :-)

Just to be sure, these are 350 ma and not 700 ma, to use with the virtual kit of zeb?

Zebs boards have a jumper selector for 350 ma or the 700 ma leds so they can run both, or even a combination of the two.

Just make sure you select the right one when wiring up the boards :)

• 8 months later...

Archived