Pinbox, The Free (Or Stolen?) Nucore P2K Replacement

wowter

Anyone have some inside info on the drama unfolding over the internets?

first the files are up, and everyone is singing haleluja,   mere hours later, the files are gone, and it is evil...... what is going on.  Is it really just a hacked, free to use on any computer, version of the nucore software?

Got it, interesting. Looks like nucore without the need for a dongle and I presume a generic PC that replaces the p2k computer, prism card and other bits. Looks like parallel port is a must.

Now if I could just find a broken p2k machine :(

• Content Provider

I'm not sure, but I am extremely interested...  if anyone has more info on it, please let me know.

I have it also dazz.

Haven't looked at it yet as it is on ubantu and haven't got around to making a partition for itif you want I'll send it your way

Just tried it in a VM, judging from the user friendly installer and the detailed instructions with pinbox logo, someone put a LOT of effort in to making this noob friendly. 

EDIT: I could not get it to work as it should on my laptop in a VM.   I keep hitting the ubuntu text only desktop, without getting the selection screen. Maybe it needs to be connected to the playfield?

I have it also dazz.

Haven't looked at it yet as it is on ubantu and haven't got around to making a partition for itif you want I'll send it your way

It looks to be the same as the torrent file that's floating around.

I was concerned that it was different.  It doesn't appear that it is.  :)

Hmm... Well, you could run Linux as the VM inside windows, assign it the DMD Screen on our P2k's... But then making them see each other and interact would be a problem.

communication with the playfield goes via the parallel port.   you can setup a virtual parallel port on the VM, and have it communicate with your real machine. 

Thing is: someone has to alter the SWE1 VP table to communicate via this virtual port instead of simulating the display using VPdisco.  

(The table was already made by TAB&Destruk and apparantly was already playable some years ago, but was never released as a courtesy to nucore)

I dont think they will release the WIP though......  so near, yet so far

• Content Provider

for all out there who think this is the beginning of p2k on vp cabs i doubt it.

vp struggles just to render alpha ramps what do you think running a rom like that would do for performance if we cant even use an ledwiz without some issues.

maybe one day but as vp is now extremely unlikely

this for anyone lucky enough to own a real p2k game

• 3 years later...

If you get the right chipset motherboard, it will load the 'torrent' iso fine. 

Some motherboards get an error after the software has been installed.

Thing is support to this version of Ubuntu (10.04LTS) has been discontinued, so when people on forums tell you to get certain apps to install they do not work. 

A friend of mine has found a way around all of this and he wants to keep it under his hat, and I have to respect that.  He has spent hours on it, and to be honest everyone online is 'barking up the wrong tree'.

If you are based in the UK or Europe he will build a pinbox computer for you I am sure.

Will also add - use an SSD (I use an 8gb one which is about £12 on ebay), or a USB flash drive if your motherboard will boot to it.  I have had success with using a USB flash drive.

Good thing about the software is when it is working - if you press + and - together (on a real machine!) it will go into a menu that you can decide what machine you are running.  The 'auto detect' doesnt seem to work everytime. 

Have also got SWE1 in attract mode on my RFM.  Have not messed with trying to play it.  Seems pointless.

Using the menu I mentioned too - it is possible to change from SWE1 to RFM in a quick reboot.

Oh yeah - the machine is extremely quiet compared to the original.   It is also best to fit a 20.1 4:3 LCD monitor. 

If your local voltage is 230v then you must get a PC and monitor that will run on 110v as inside all Pinball 2000 games it uses a transformer to distribute the power to always being 110v.

Archived