New Cab Build Advice...

Redbeard30

I am going to start a full size cab project soon. As usual I'm going to be on a tight budget since my wife is still unemployed. So that bding said, this build will probably go in stages over the next 10 months or so. I have a mini cab now which will be used for the majority of parts, legs, pc, buttons, ipac, etc.

Now i am planning on a 2 monitor w/ a pindmd added in the future. I would like to reuse as much as i can from my mini. I have 2 monitors in it, 24" 16x9 and a 20.1" 5x4. Which one would be better to use as a backglass in my new project? Im planning on a 37"- 40" PF in the new cab, all dependant on if i can find a gutted cab, or if build one. I am leaning towards the 5x4 20" and plan on just adding a bezel around it w/ some artwork. I feel like the 24" 16x9 being only 12" in height would look a little funny. Any thoughts or suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

Either I think will look a little odd given the cab width and the dead space you will have in the head. I would go for Whatever one is the tallest. You could make the head small and go for more of an em style cab. They tended to have heads that were a little closer to the cab size.

• Content Provider

My cab was built on a budget as well. I picked up an old EM cabinet (Williams Big Ben) since I only had 2 monitors. I used a 28" 16:10 in the backbox in portrait mode and a 37" LG that I bought as a scratch and dent. The bezel was cracked but I was decasing anyway. The 28" fills the back box pretty close to completely since the EM's were pretty narrow. The old EM backglasses look pretty damn good. The DMD games are good enough for me. I run basically a fullsize DMD so it is a little out of proportion with the rest of the backglass. I don't have a LEDWIZ or any of the bells and whistles (maybe  someday). Just a cab, PC, button kit, PBW, an auto powerstip, and some PC fans. I only have around $800 or so in it over 3 or 4 months. Closer to $1000 if you count beer during the build.

• Content Provider

Knew there was something I liked about you..... :P   Mine was a budget build too. 2/3 scale, particle board (Home Depot), a 25 inch playfield, and a 19 inch backglass. Built as a mini woodrail with nudge switches under the lockdown bar. For just over 500$.  I have a non dedicated pc that runs the cab from remote. I use hotkeys to extend my screen and back to work.

Unfortunately I do realize that I'm going to have to take the lesser of two evils when going with what I have. But it'll only be temporary for a year or so until I can get a 30" or so back box LCD and DMD. My thoughts are between the two I may go with the 20" 5x4. I will frame around it with some art. It'd be nice to go as authentic as possible but right now with our current economic situation I'm just happy to have something! Plus I can always upgrade little by little. I may go with the idea of a smaller back box and then build a new one later for a bigger monitor, or I may build it "modular" so I can just swap out a few pieces to make it wider. Thanks for the input!

• Content Provider

I look at it this way but others will disagree... I'm building a "fake" machine. Not that I have the means, but I'm more interested in what goes in it, than all the bells and whistles. Adding options is akin to "keeping up with the Jones's". I'm happy enough being able to play at all.

Archived