Upgrade To Win7 Or Stay W/ Xp?

Redbeard30

I was thinking of doing afresh installs of my OS on my cab, and thought of going with Win7 instead of XP. Any reason not to? It runs fine now, but i thought it would be nice to run with video drivers that aren't a year old! So is there any reason to stay w/ xp? Any benefits to upgrading to W7?

• Administrators

I'm running an i5 3750k with 16gb ram, running Win 7 without any issues and a definite increase in performance. Personally I don't see any reason to keep running XP.  HyperPin will be getting an update shortly to have better Win 7 compatibility on some machines as well as a couple other new features.

I'm on xp and I've stutter problems on a couple of tables, big bang bar and checkpoint seem to be the worst. I have a gtx 570 1GB OC. is it likely that win 7 will help with these problem tables?

Cool. I'm running a gtx560ti, 3 gb ram and a AMD x2 560 overclocked from 3.3 to 3.9. I think i will upgrade to 7 then. It'll come in handy if i ever get a SSD since 7 has trim support. Not to mention ability to run newer drivers. No issues w/ Future Pinball either? What current nvidia driver is working best?

I'm running an i5 3750k with 16gb ram, running Win 7 without any issues and a definite increase in performance. Personally I don't see any reason to keep running XP.  HyperPin will be getting an update shortly to have better Win 7 compatibility on some machines as well as a couple other new features.

That is great to hear Dazz, thanks for the info.

So i reformatted today, everything is working fine finally. Had issues w/ the current 314 driver and had to rollback to 306. Only issue is that under video options in VP is that my playfield monitor only doesnt have a 32bit option! Under my windows properties its showing 32bit. Everything looks fine though. But so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get this sorted out?  I'm running VP on my main PC with Win 7 64bit and a GTX 660ti feeding three screens (one in portrait mode).  I just updated the driver to 314.22 and it seems to work OK for me so far, although I've only got a few tables set up so far.  Seeing your post made me realise I'd actually set it to 16bit playfield by mistake and there was a 32 bit option further up the list.

Archived