Making Animated Targets With Primitives

• Content Provider

was playing around tonight with primitives,
i wasnt happy with the way the ones on south park turned out so i started to experament what a droptarget or uprighttarget looked like using primitives

and here are my results,
now we can make targets that are semi transparent like plastic ones and we can now make then react to gi light using on/ off textures if we wanted too.

here is a demo with 2 simple Oversized targets one a drop target one an upright target. notice they are transparent on the plastic part araound and behind the decal and are dont loose light like dropwalls do as we do them now.

Drop target will reset when ball drains:
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/videochat/uploadedFiles/oooPLAYER1ooo_primitive_droptarget_demo_w_GI.zip

here is a template for anyone interested in trying to make a square 4 sided primitive object:

the photoshop version with added guidelines
oooPLAYER1ooo_primitivetemplate_PSD.zip

hope this helps someone understand how primitives work texture wise

• Content Provider

sweet, i been experamenting with all sorts of textures

i have made posts all sorts of stuff but if you start to use too many it becomes a framerate killer

they would also be perfect for swinging targets moving left to right and you could even add gi on/ off light.

skype me and i'll help with FG

this is perfect for the rising stopper, we can finally add a realistic one , with realistic lighting

This will make a HUGE difference in target appearance on the games. I always hated that targets look flat, blurry or dim but this will change it all.

I wonder if the nearly vertical targets on side drop target banks for example would improve too? You can't even see the face of the target in the current VP without primitives.

Very exciting Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

funny I never had any type of problem with images not showing on the faces of drops

and as for the primitive things i can't even get that to work at all

which pins have drops that look flat or blurry out of curiosity since all my downloads look great

as well as all the pins I built that use drops

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

just a bump after Unclewilly's release of his wonderful bigbangbar update that used animated primitive droptargets

this is a quick and huge improvement to add to existing tables that have bad looking targets using the older drop wall up/down method. after doing a few targets it gets much easier and quicker to add, you just have to understand how they work. please feel free to ask any questions here.

sadly primitives cant be copied and pasted yet so each object needs to be made at a time, but the outcome is well worth the effort

oooPLAYER1ooo

• Content Provider

They make for a nice plunger animation also.

Just set it up in my Mr and Mrs pacman sip and the plunger animation is nice and smooth, maybe even better than the alpha ramp.

The drops are super easy to code into a pinmame table as well.

Use bbb as an example.

I didn't need to really change anything aside from adding the timer calls to the already existing drop target code

Archived